collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sanding off mold spots... Help me, please... T_T  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Sanding off mold spots... Help me, please... T_T
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
I've been trying to remove some nasty mold spots from a few of my G1 ponies... It's that icky brown spotting that I think is referred to as "pony cancer".

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid RemoveZit, since these ponies are blue, pink, etc., and I don't want bleaching to occur. I heard that mold spots can be sanded off, but I'm not having any luck. How much sanding does it take to get past the mold!? :blink: Is there a better technique for this? Please help!  :shrug:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: Sanding off mold spots... Help me, please... T_T
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Watching this thread!
I have never heard of sanding cancer off before! It'd be cool if it works. :D

I know some people have gotten gorgeous results sanding the tails off of Mc.Ponies to turn them brushable, so I guess it's possible :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
Sanding isn't going to work - the type of marks you're referring to go right through the plastic, and you're correct that acne cream will only make the situation worse, not better.  There is no safe, lasting treatment for age spots.  They can be lightened with sun-fading (sometimes) but come back.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:18:06 AM »
I think the best way to remove them is to paint over with a matching color for the pony. But it will not remove the problem, just hide it.
Plus I've got a pony that came to me with transparent nail on a cancer spot, I don't know if it helps, but that's something that is done too. Maybe found a nail the same color than your pony?

Blog / Facebook Page

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:41:04 AM »
I think the best way to remove them is to paint over with a matching color for the pony. But it will not remove the problem, just hide it.
Plus I've got a pony that came to me with transparent nail on a cancer spot, I don't know if it helps, but that's something that is done too. Maybe found a nail the same color than your pony?

I take it you mean nail polish/varnish?  In that case I would steer clear of using that on pony plastic, especially on old g1 plastic. Nail polish could possibly harm the plastic further.

I would try sun fading the spot (cover the rest of the pony), but sadly there's not much to do about age spots :/

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:03 AM »
Yes nail polish.
But to be honest, it's not me who put this on the pony and it doesn't seams to affect it.

In any case, I've read such a lot of different things, but myself I do nothing on cancer spot. And none of them never have spread or affected another pony...

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »
Hmm... :/ Well, that stinks. I did find this article: http://www.mlptp.net/index.php?threads/possible-restore-or-removal-of-pony-cancer.96574/

They managed to sand deep enough to remove the mold, but afterward had to fill in large dimples in the plastic... Not a perfect solution, but I guess in a desperate situation...

So... I soaked the mold spots in white vinegar. Should the fungus be dead now? Can I just paint over it and be sure it won't spread?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »

So... I soaked the mold spots in white vinegar. Should the fungus be dead now? Can I just paint over it and be sure it won't spread?

This is an EXCELLENT information on mold spots here:   http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Cancer

I met the girl who gathered this information recently and the whole site is fantastic.   But one thing to note is the last paragraph about the spreading of mold spots. It's not contagious, like going from one pony to another. It's more about what kind of environment these are kept in.   Heat and humidity are big triggers.  So painting a dead mold spot probably won't help if the pony is still kept in a bad environment.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »

This is an EXCELLENT information on mold spots here:   http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Cancer

I met the girl who gathered this information recently and the whole site is fantastic.   But one thing to note is the last paragraph about the spreading of mold spots. It's not contagious, like going from one pony to another. It's more about what kind of environment these are kept in.   Heat and humidity are big triggers.  So painting a dead mold spot probably won't help if the pony is still kept in a bad environment.

Thanks for the info! I had read that page before--I've restored a lot of dolls with mold, but those were human dolls with pale skin colors. The colorful ponies had me stumped. :/

None of my ponies have developed mold while in MY possession. They all came to me that way. I'm excessively careful about the environment I keep my toys in, for this very reason. So I guess that's good news, right? ^^; I can just paint over the spots and that will be the end of it?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
No, that won't be the end of it.

Bad storage conditions will speed up the process, but no matter where you keep your collection, plastic deteriorates.  High heat and humidity just makes it worse.  Adding more chemicals (including paint) can also make it worse. 

Honestly the best thing you can do is just leave them be - there's a common theme in the museum conservation field - do as little as possible, entropy always wins in the end.  G1's are 30+ years old in many cases and they're going to look it, considering they were made as children's toys and not expected to last forever.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
No, that won't be the end of it.

Bad storage conditions will speed up the process, but no matter where you keep your collection, plastic deteriorates.  High heat and humidity just makes it worse.  Adding more chemicals (including paint) can also make it worse. 

Honestly the best thing you can do is just leave them be - there's a common theme in the museum conservation field - do as little as possible, entropy always wins in the end.  G1's are 30+ years old in many cases and they're going to look it, considering they were made as children's toys and not expected to last forever.

But if these are in fact mold colonies (rather than just aging vinyl), shouldn't the deterioration stop if I've disinfected/sterilized/killed the mold with vinegar or another antibacterial? I thought once the mold was dead, it was just a matter of removing or hiding the stain?

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
My first attempt to remove was dissection, and I discovered that they do in fact go all the way through the plastic....I was left, in one case, with a paper-thin amount of pony material remaining. 

My next attempt was boiling for over an hour which has a drastic effect on the pony overall depending on which pony.  I was able to completely whiten the spots on Fire Chief and Bright Eyes, on Bright Eyes the spot began to darken again slightly a year later.

The extended boiling process hurts the pony's color, and Fire Chief was yellowed but whitens right up in peroxide sunfade.  Some ponies have their color ruined pretty quick by boiling.  Your mileage may vary.

No matter what anyone tells you, it is not established 100% whether cancer is biological or chemical breakdown or a combination (where for example leaking plasticizer/UV treatment/degradation products/contamination etc might feed a particular organism).  While its perfect circular shape does LOOK biological, no hard data exists establishing whether it can be killed or what chemically is happening.

I was very optimistic about the boiling methods but when the spot on my Bright Eyes began to creep back in a year after it disappeared, I haven't further pursued my studies of it...so far.

The only things that have been established to a point of consensus are 1) that nothing has been proven to stop it entirely, and 2) that no confirmed evidence exists of it spreading from one pony to another.

Good luck!!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
My first attempt to remove was dissection, and I discovered that they do in fact go all the way through the plastic....I was left, in one case, with a paper-thin amount of pony material remaining. 

My next attempt was boiling for over an hour which has a drastic effect on the pony overall depending on which pony.  I was able to completely whiten the spots on Fire Chief and Bright Eyes, on Bright Eyes the spot began to darken again slightly a year later.

The extended boiling process hurts the pony's color, and Fire Chief was yellowed but whitens right up in peroxide sunfade.  Some ponies have their color ruined pretty quick by boiling.  Your mileage may vary.

No matter what anyone tells you, it is not established 100% whether cancer is biological or chemical breakdown or a combination (where for example leaking plasticizer/UV treatment/degradation products/contamination etc might feed a particular organism).  While its perfect circular shape does LOOK biological, no hard data exists establishing whether it can be killed or what chemically is happening.

I was very optimistic about the boiling methods but when the spot on my Bright Eyes began to creep back in a year after it disappeared, I haven't further pursued my studies of it...so far.

The only things that have been established to a point of consensus are 1) that nothing has been proven to stop it entirely, and 2) that no confirmed evidence exists of it spreading from one pony to another.

Good luck!!

Interesting... What about peroxide treatments? I've removed the stains entirely with peroxide on quite a few dolls... Will it still come back? :(

One interesting thing about the ponies I'm dealing with now is that the spots only occur on the cutie marks. Both are glittery cutie marks, and the mold/spots appear to have "eaten" "holes" in the paint. It looks like really gross swiss cheese. o_0; Perfect circles, and the glitter/paint is perfectly intact around the spots. That makes me think that it IS a biological thing of some kind, and the organism was feeding on something in the paint or sealer. I covered up the holes in the cutie mark on one pony after disinfecting the area, so I guess we'll see what happens... :/

I wish I had a microbiology lab handy--I'd love to solve this mystery. :/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:47:25 PM by Nemesis »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
IIRC peroxide will bleach out some pony hair colors, so be careful.

Are the glitter symboled ponies ones with gold symbols, like Sunbeam, Starshine, or Pinwheel?  They are prone to "symbol rust."  They get brownish stuff (probably mold or something) that appears around their symbols.  Usually in round spots, which makes me think that they're a kind of mold colony or something. I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as traditional age spots.

As far as "body" age spots, I had a Sunbeam who had one age spot when I got them.  Despite my attempts to sterilize the spots, they still spread like crazy.  (I was not able to boil them because of the glitter symbol though.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:24:12 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
IIRC peroxide will bleach out some pony hair colors, so be careful.

Are the glitter symboled ponies ones with gold symbols, like Sunbeam, Starshine, or Pinwheel?  They are prone to "symbol rust."  They get brownish stuff (probably mold or something) that appears around their symbols.  Usually in round spots, which makes me think that they're a kind of mold colony or something. I'm not sure if it's the same stuff as traditional age spots.

As far as "body" age spots, I had a Sunbeam who had one age spot when I got them.  Despite my attempts to sterilize the spots, they still spread like crazy.  (I was not able to boil them because of the glitter symbol though.)

The ponies in question are Moonstone and Majesty (silver and blue glitter). The spots aren't around the cutie mark... they're right IN the cutie mark. o_0; The glitter is completely "eaten" away where the spots are.

If it doesn't spread further, it's not a huge deal... I can just paint over it with a bit of PearlEx glitter and some sealer (I already did that with Moonstone, and she looks fine... for now). It just creeps me out to think that the mold(?) might actually still be alive under there, plotting its revenge. =P ...Hence why I like to obliterate it entirely, if possible. It's a comfort to know it won't spread to other ponies, though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:28:57 PM by Nemesis »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal