collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody here cosplay? (Oh, and I'm back!)  (Read 1914 times)

clonecommander

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody here cosplay? (Oh, and I'm back!)
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
I know I have been MIA for a really long time, but I am starting to crawl back after a long painful battle.... My first semester as a Visual Arts major in college! I got to make a cosplay for one of my college classes.... And oddly my professor thought it was a really cool idea.... He didn't complain at all. But that's besides the point.

Does anyone else here enjoy complying, or fabrication, or even just going to conventions and people watching? I am happy to say that I have two different costumes, both are OCs, though one is a ARC Commander from my Star Wars fan fiction stories while the other is a deity of the underworld from one of two original stories that I am writing.

My 'primary' costume is of my Star Wars: The Clone Wars OC, ARC Commander Eli. It is still not finished, not surprising since college threw off my fabrication schedule. I only have to remake the torso and abdominal armor and then it will be done!

This is NOT the most up-to-date pic, I have markings on the arms, and a ARC video/com-link bracer. Please excuse the lightsaber....It was all I had at the time!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is my 'secondary' costume... Zumonjii! This is the one I made for my Sculpture 2 class. I think its amazing what a good photo shoot can do.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: Anybody here cosplay? (Oh, and I'm back!)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Playing Commander Eli must be fun! I LOVE cosplay! Getting into character and putting on a show. It's like improv and make believe all at once :D

Here is my OC Jinxxy. Old pic. I'm working on Jinxxy 3.0 now. :)

Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
Your cosplays are great! I love Zumonjii especially, how beautiful!

I've been cosplaying for several years now. I go to a Japanese/pop culture convention in Pittsburgh every year, and sometimes we go to other conventions if we have the time. This year my friends and I were Scooby and the gang. We plan on doing this again later this year...maybe by then my husband will have a blonde wig. :lol: Anyway, I was Daphne. ^.^

Last year I was "cotton candy" Garnet, from Steven Universe.

And this is my very first cosplay, from like...2010, I think? Tony Tony Chopper from One Piece, along with my friends and husband. My face is covered, I know, but my hat was my favorite part of the cosplay. I spent so long making it!

Spoiler

Some other cosplays I've done:
Spoiler

Instagram / Want List

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
yeah but its been a while
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Tiffoes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
I cosplay quite a lot! There's events nearly every month over here. I mainly focus on cosplaying from Japanese media though!! I also have a cosplay page since a while: https://www.facebook.com/EbiiCos/

I don't make all of my outfits by myself, but I always try to atleast modify bought outfits a bit~

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
Its been awhile.

Glad to see you out and about ^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

clonecommander

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
I love seeing some of these really cool cosplays that you are posting!

@melodys_angel- I am glad to be back here as well, seeing as I have some custom ponies who are in dire need of being finished...I can't wait to post some in-progress pics of them!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
I wish I had the money and time to do that.

Lhianneth

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
I always wanted to cosplay when I was younger ... but I've only actually done a "real" one a grand total of twice. Once in college as I-no from Guilty Gear, and once more recently as Queen Nehellenia for a local convention that had Mitsuishi Kotono as a guest. The Nehellenia costume was so much fun to wear, but such a pain to make. The wig. :nope: I sewed in the wefts from one wig to another, so it was double-thick, and waist length. I then had to boil straighten, curl, and style it. It was so heavy. But in the end, worth it.

I ran around taking selfies with all the Sailor Moon cosplayers who turned up for Kotono's panels. There were SO MANY. I had three or four little collages of selfies that I posted to Instagram in the end. haha

Spoiler

I love sewing and sew a lot (because ... that's ... my job), but it can be hard to work costuming into the mix when I have so much else to work on. ^^;
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:26:23 PM by Lhianneth »

lostpony

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:05:11 AM »
Years ago i did a little bit of non-cartoon cosplay and loved it.  Since getting into ponies I've been planning and accumulating a few bits of costume for some g4 ponies I want to do.  I have a design for some realistic hoof shoes and while making them is far off due to real life issues, I think about it almost daily.  It's my "happy place".

clonecommander

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
I always wanted to cosplay when I was younger ... but I've only actually done a "real" one a grand total of twice. Once in college as I-no from Guilty Gear, and once more recently as Queen Nehellenia for a local convention that had Mitsuishi Kotono as a guest. The Nehellenia costume was so much fun to wear, but such a pain to make. The wig. :nope: I sewed in the wefts from one wig to another, so it was double-thick, and waist length. I then had to boil straighten, curl, and style it. It was so heavy. But in the end, worth it.

I ran around taking selfies with all the Sailor Moon cosplayers who turned up for Kotono's panels. There were SO MANY. I had three or four little collages of selfies that I posted to Instagram in the end. haha

Spoiler

I love sewing and sew a lot (because ... that's ... my job), but it can be hard to work costuming into the mix when I have so much else to work on. ^^;

Sewing is actually the one thing that gives me such a hard time! I literally can't sew a straight line.....I didn't know that you sewed things for a living, that's really cool!

I wish I had the money and time to do that.

Yeah, I occasionally get that feeling, because I am (planning) on creating a cosplay of Kat (did I spell her name right?) from Halo (the Spartan with the robotic arm) and I don't want to start think how much that is going to cost me!

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
These are so awesome!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Lhianneth

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
Sewing is actually the one thing that gives me such a hard time! I literally can't sew a straight line.....I didn't know that you sewed things for a living, that's really cool!

Straight lines are actually really hard. Maintaining a consistent speed on the pedal, while keeping the fabric in place is a skill that you really have to work hard at! I recommend a hemming bar for long stretches of straight fabric. Most basic machines come with one these days, but you can pick up a new one if yours got lost on ebay for cheap, or at your local sewing shop. Check your machine manual to see what it looks like and where it fits! :)

The key to it, just like everything, is practice. I also find that hand-basting is a skill that gets ignored in a lot of pattern directions and tutorials. It's infinitely more stable than pinning, but also helps you make sure you've got your notches and seams straight (especially for zippers and curved pieces like shoulders/sleeves).

Oh. And pressing. ALWAYS press your fabric before you sew, and press your seams as you're working. It makes things look tidier when you're done, but when you're actually working, it makes sure that your pattern pieces all lay properly.

And finally, commercial patterns often don't have all the tricks you learn over time, so checking out sewing blogs is also a good idea if you're starting a new project.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
I used to cosplay a lot! My old profile is here, with a bunch of my stuff: http://www.cosplay.com/member/77739/costumes/

Here's a few of my favorite costumes:

I really loved it! Making those costumes taught me tons about sewing, crafting, etc.  too! The trouble is... I'm really shy and self-critical, so I would end up stressing myself out a lot. :( I might cosplay again at some point, though.

Oh, and I love that Garnet, Rainbowrific Renia! *_*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:57:42 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

clonecommander

Re: Anybody here cosplay? (Oh, and I\'m back!)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 08:31:22 AM »
I used to cosplay a lot! My old profile is here, with a bunch of my stuff: http://www.cosplay.com/member/77739/costumes/

Here's a few of my favorite costumes:

I really loved it! Making those costumes taught me tons about sewing, crafting, etc.  too! The trouble is... I'm really shy and self-critical, so I would end up stressing myself out a lot. :( I might cosplay again at some point, though.

Oh, and I love that Garnet, Rainbowrific Renia! *_*

WOW! I love that Mystique cosplay, that is impressive! I can understand the self-critical thing, it is a major reason why a good chunk of half started drawings I have never get finished. I don't recognize any of the others, but they are beautifully made.

Post Merge: May 25, 2017, 08:34:13 AM

Straight lines are actually really hard. Maintaining a consistent speed on the pedal, while keeping the fabric in place is a skill that you really have to work hard at! I recommend a hemming bar for long stretches of straight fabric. Most basic machines come with one these days, but you can pick up a new one if yours got lost on ebay for cheap, or at your local sewing shop. Check your machine manual to see what it looks like and where it fits! :)

The key to it, just like everything, is practice. I also find that hand-basting is a skill that gets ignored in a lot of pattern directions and tutorials. It's infinitely more stable than pinning, but also helps you make sure you've got your notches and seams straight (especially for zippers and curved pieces like shoulders/sleeves).

Oh. And pressing. ALWAYS press your fabric before you sew, and press your seams as you're working. It makes things look tidier when you're done, but when you're actually working, it makes sure that your pattern pieces all lay properly.

And finally, commercial patterns often don't have all the tricks you learn over time, so checking out sewing blogs is also a good idea if you're starting a new project.

I'll have to remember these tips, so when my mom, Diamond starts remaking her Jedi robes she won't get so frustrated. Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:34:13 AM by clonecommander »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal