collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW Animated JEM and the Holograms movie!!!!!!  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Animated JEM and the Holograms movie!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »
Iiiiinteresting!  I hope it's better than the live action movie--though it would be hard to be worse.  Those Google Earth screenwipes, lol!

So Hasbro's film label is Allspark Pictures?  That's also interesting, as it's a Transformers reference.  The Allspark is where Cybertronians' sparks (aka lifeforce or souls) go when they die, like their afterlife.

No, Hasbro has never done a cartoon based on the IDW Transformer series, which is too bad because the IDW series is great.  I'd love to see an IDW TF cartoon with a vibe like Transformers Animated had, only in space.  A character-based fun, zingy space opera.

(Actually, I just remembered that there was a web-only series based on IDW, called Combiner Wars.  But it was sooo bad that most fans would prefer to forget it, lol.  It wasn't put out by Allspark Pictures, so there's hope for Jem to be better.)

I don't think I'd want it to be based on the comics either. They're not bad, just not my cup of tea.

Pfahaha! An outer space soap opera! XD
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
Iiiiinteresting!  I hope it's better than the live action movie--though it would be hard to be worse.  Those Google Earth screenwipes, lol!

So Hasbro's film label is Allspark Pictures?  That's also interesting, as it's a Transformers reference.  The Allspark is where Cybertronians' sparks (aka lifeforce or souls) go when they die, like their afterlife.

No, Hasbro has never done a cartoon based on the IDW Transformer series, which is too bad because the IDW series is great.  I'd love to see an IDW TF cartoon with a vibe like Transformers Animated had, only in space.  A character-based fun, zingy space opera.

(Actually, I just remembered that there was a web-only series based on IDW, called Combiner Wars.  But it was sooo bad that most fans would prefer to forget it, lol.  It wasn't put out by Allspark Pictures, so there's hope for Jem to be better.)

Oooh! I knew that YOU would know! :D

And yeah, it would be really hard to do worse than the live action movie. I think it may have made film history in how few dollars it brought in...

But since Hasbro has a history of reviving old brands (transformers, my little pony, pound puppies to name a few) and had already at least experimented with Jem- it doesn't surprise me that just as the Integrity doll licence is winding down- they may be planning a playline release along with an animation of some sort (which would effectively be the commercial for such toys). 

I'm a little bit worried about what they come up with- and I'm sure SOME fans will howl in rage no matter what they do unless it is to redraw the original cartoon series exactly but maybe with more detail - and using the same voices (and sorry guys, that is not going to happen) -  it's good to remember that SOMETHING is usually better than nothing at all, especially if it means new merch and dolls :D

Plus, the Equestria Girls uses a lot of the Jem concepts anyways, I imagine that a new animation that is not so dissimilar to the EQG, but with more human Jem-based characters is a pretty good likelihood-

I guess we will see!

It's a shame that the animation appears to be near complete (if they are already doing voice looping/dubbing) and there have been no leaks whatsoever about what exactly it is about, when it will come out or what it will look like...

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

I did some looking into it and from what I can tell, Allspark Pictures is the name of Hasbro's production company, i.e. the company that does the funding. I could be wrong though, it's hard to understand all the different levels of the movie making world. @_@

But yeah, clearly a Transformers reference! Not that big a surprise, since I'm sure Transformers is one of their biggest, if not the biggest, money maker.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
After that movie, I disagree that something is better then nothing. Especially hen they were reintroducing Jem by airing the old episodes and updating it through the comics.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
Wow, so many ambivalent emotions if this is true.

I was adamantly against a live action movie before we knew it would be a flop. I am generally against a new animated movie too. So long as TO! exists, where is there a need for a new movie?

If Christy Marx is involved in it, then that would be different. If she isn't, forget it. Unfortunately, with the Jem list now gone, I have no way of asking her...but Christy is the original Jem series writer and creator. If she's not on board, it isn't Jem., End of.

I also dislike the IDW comics for forcing fanfic persuasions into the mainstream canon. I don't like that it's not okay for Kimber and Stormer to have a 'sincere friendship' any more. I don't mind same sex pairings. This one never made sense to me, but in people's fanfic, that's fine. In a mainstream publication, it's not fine. It's forcing a small group of people's fanfic concepts on the whole franchise. I am not a fan of being forcefed other people's fanfiction. A same sex pairing in Jem would have been interesting. But not that one. Not now, and not ever. Sorry for anyone who likes IDW, but if that is the basis, count me out.

I don't really want to see Jem in a modern era setting though. She was made by and possible because of the 1980s. I am sort of a hypocrite here because I did write fanfic about the modern era and Jem, but it was a next generation thing with the original characters as older figures.

So it depends on what form it might take, but generally I am not in favour. I wish Hasbro would let Jem rest in the past with dignity, instead of dragging her forcibly into a place she doesn't belong.

To bring it back down to earth, they can't use all the same voices. Some of them are dead.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:15:18 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »

I was adamantly against a live action movie before we knew it would be a flop. I am generally against a new animated movie too. So long as TO! exists, where is there a need for a new movie?

I also dislike the IDW comics for forcing fanfic persuasions into the mainstream canon. I don't like that it's not okay for Kimber and Stormer to have a 'sincere friendship' any more. I don't mind same sex pairings. This one never made sense to me, but in people's fanfic, that's fine. In a mainstream publication, it's not fine. It's forcing a small group of people's fanfic concepts on the whole franchise. I am not a fan of being forcefed other people's fanfiction. A same sex pairing in Jem would have been interesting. But not that one. Not now, and not ever. Sorry for anyone who likes IDW, but if that is the basis, count me out.

I don't really want to see Jem in a modern era setting though. She was made by and possible because of the 1980s. I am sort of a hypocrite here because I did write fanfic about the modern era and Jem, but it was a next generation thing with the original characters as older figures.

So it depends on what form it might take, but generally I am not in favour. I wish Hasbro would let Jem rest in the past with dignity, instead of dragging her forcibly into a place she doesn't belong.

To bring it back down to earth, they can't use all the same voices. Some of them are dead.

But why would you object to it?  Why not just watch it? Nobody would be strapping you to a chair and taping your eyeballs open after all, right?  :lol:

I'm in favor because even if the animation isn't what I would have done, I am excited about the new merch and toys that inevitably come with a Hasbro animation-  yay toys!

And I'm pretty happy that even if greed motivated, Hasbro has revived old brands like My Little Pony and Transformers and Jem (the Integrity Jem dolls have truly been a dream come true)- regardless of whether all of the original fans like the reincarnations (and of course they don't) there are lots that do- and generally perks up the fandom for a while which is nice

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
I agree, a reboot does not take anything away from the original. It will always exist and hold a special place in our hearts. :) But that doesn't mean we might see something new and interesting too!

I don't like every single thing the comics have done. A lot of stuff I eyeroll at, especially when it's trying to be full of memes and edgy stuff. But I like that it is taking chances and trying different things, and I like that it exists. :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »

If Christy Marx is involved in it, then that would be different. If she isn't, forget it. Unfortunately, with the Jem list now gone, I have no way of asking her...but Christy is the original Jem series writer and creator. If she's not on board, it isn't Jem., End of.

Some of them are?  :blink:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 03:06:03 AM »

But why would you object to it?  Why not just watch it? Nobody would be strapping you to a chair and taping your eyeballs open after all, right?  :lol:

It has nothing to do with whether or not I want to watch it. I don't have to, no. But I didn't watch the Jem movie, either. I still had to sit through three years of hostile backlash between factions over that movie on the one Jem community that I really valued being a member of. A lot of people left and the community is now defunct (not directly for that reason but a lot of people did leave because of the aggression over the live action movie).

Unfortunately Jem fans have been so starved of anything valuable in the media sense for so long that some of them have lost all sense of rationality about quality and are willing to accept any crumb of anything tossed their way, even if it's horrible. But there was no community backlash over the IT dolls or the IDW comics. Some people liked them, some not, but it was the modern day live action movie that they went to war over. It would be stupid to think that, potentially, this wouldn't have the same impact.

I love Jem. I've been in the online community since 2000 and I met some good friends through it. I don't like to see a community of people who all love the same thing ripped apart by divisive opinions. I don't like it here in pony collecting and I don't like it there, either. But in Jem terms it becomes more polarised because there is so little offered people get desperate.

Forgive me for not finding that a "lol" kind of situation.

As for the voice artists of original Jem - yeah, some of them have passed away. The singing voice of Rapture was one of them. I think the voice of both Aja and Kimber has also passed away. I know the other main key writer, Roger Slifer, died as a result of a hit and run type accident a few years ago. I am not sure about other voice artists, although I have this feeling that list isn't complete. Jem has suffered various tragedies - but it is a long time since the series was made. We're talking about a show that terminated almost 30 years ago.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
It would be stupid to think that, potentially, this wouldn't have the same impact.

I think your emotions are clouding your judgement. You yourself just stated in the previous sentence that your community did not go to war about the new dolls or the IDW comics. It was only the live action movie that caused such a bipolar reaction. An animated movie would not necessarily have the same impact as that movie. Especially since we don't know if it's set in the modern era or not. And especially if, as several people wondered in this thread, it might be based on the IDW comics (since you pointed out the comics didn't get this big a reaction).

Yes it's upsetting when a community breaks down, but why would you blame the media and not the people themselves? I don't blame Hasbro when I see bronies acting shamefully, just because Hasbro rebooted MLP into a modern cartoon. Same for any other fandom. The existence of the material does not excuse the actions of the fans. If they fought with each other, they are to blame for being ridiculous about a dumb kids movie, not the fact that said movie exists.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 07:19:34 AM »
If this turns out well I'd be very happy.  Lately remakes haven't been working out but I have hope.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

It has nothing to do with whether or not I want to watch it. I don't have to, no. But I didn't watch the Jem movie, either. I still had to sit through three years of hostile backlash between factions over that movie on the one Jem community that I really valued being a member of. A lot of people left and the community is now defunct (not directly for that reason but a lot of people did leave because of the aggression over the live action movie).

Unfortunately Jem fans have been so starved of anything valuable in the media sense for so long that some of them have lost all sense of rationality about quality and are willing to accept any crumb of anything tossed their way, even if it's horrible. But there was no community backlash over the IT dolls or the IDW comics. Some people liked them, some not, but it was the modern day live action movie that they went to war over. It would be stupid to think that, potentially, this wouldn't have the same impact.

I love Jem. I've been in the online community since 2000 and I met some good friends through it. I don't like to see a community of people who all love the same thing ripped apart by divisive opinions. I don't like it here in pony collecting and I don't like it there, either. But in Jem terms it becomes more polarised because there is so little offered people get desperate.

Forgive me for not finding that a "lol" kind of situation.

As for the voice artists of original Jem - yeah, some of them have passed away. The singing voice of Rapture was one of them. I think the voice of both Aja and Kimber has also passed away. I know the other main key writer, Roger Slifer, died as a result of a hit and run type accident a few years ago. I am not sure about other voice artists, although I have this feeling that list isn't complete. Jem has suffered various tragedies - but it is a long time since the series was made. We're talking about a show that terminated almost 30 years ago.

Well, I have also been involved in the online community (off and on) for quite a few years- and I do recall some dispute between just a couple of people as to whether the movie was "good" or "bad" for Jem- but by that time the community was already SO small and barley anyone was participating anyway.  Then the Jemcon site changed hands and it became too difficult (for me and a few others) to figure out where the board was or how to get back on.  I think that more than anything- spelled the end.  Still, I plan to go to the convention- (are you going?)

I know some Jem fans blame drama related to a few members for driving apart the Jem community- but I'm not so sure about that either. After all, ALL of the 1980s toy-forums that used to be ridiculously popular and active in the 2000s (and yes, I used to visit many of them) are now (with the SOLE exception of MLPArena) complete wastelands... I guess forums just aren't as popular as they once were- which is sad as I really like them...

I know there are going to be other Jem fans that don't like the idea of a new animation- or new merch-  no matter what it looks like.  But hopefully they won't be TOO upset that other fellow Jem fans are excited about the idea-

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »
I still flat out refuse to watch the live action, but I would be willing to give a cartoon a chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal