collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Letting go of childhood herd?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Letting go of childhood herd?
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »
Hey all,
Sometimes I think I'm holding onto some of my ponies for the wrong reason.

But I feel so conflicted about letting them go. There's only 3 left. I have really happy memories of all of them, and they really meant a lot to me AT THAT TIME. I love that they are survivors...

But why am I keeping them JUST because they were mine as a kid??

Have any of you let go of your childhood herd and felt good about it?

I never felt like I wanted to be a person to find a home for my ponies but have some sort of stipulation about it. I wouldn't want them to be restored or customized... just cleaned up and taken care of (Like displayed, but not put in a box in storage). T_T; I always felt like it was WRONG to ask someone to take care of an item after they purchase it, because the new owner should feel not constricted...

and I wish I had a good friend who liked ponies, because then I could just gift them the ponies and not feel worried about it... but... I dunno.  :cry: I don't really have anyone.

Thoughts? 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:38:51 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Letting go of childhood herd?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
But why do you WANT to let them go? Three isn't many, so it's not a space issue... You sound very conflicted about it... There's nothing wrong with holding onto your favorite childhood toys--everyone I know has at least a few of their old dolls or such around the house. Someday, you may even want to share them with your children or grandchildren (I loved seeing my mother's old toys when I was a child--they fascinated me). They will always be special, because you can say "I played with these when I was your age!".

Personally, I could never let go of my childhood ponies. They may not be in mint condition, but they remain my favorites out of my entire collection. <3
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:41:06 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »
my child hood herd was 150 strong , never thought of parting with them and don't think i ever will  they all have memories connected to them as my mum and grandparents got me them and as they are no longer with me the ponies remind me of them. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:53:41 AM »
Why...
Mostly to own less things in general. I am a collector, but at the same time I hate owning stuff. I think in the future I will have a smaller living space, so it's something I want to consider.

Out of my 25ish ponies in my current collection, two of my childhood ponies are the ones I like the least. And the only reason I'm keeping onto them is because they were mine... but... I don't think THAT alone is a good enough reason. It is emotional and that scares me.

But joy then doesn't always equate to joy now. But I have a hard time letting go. <-- Conflict!

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »
They're your ponies, so you can do what you like with them. Maybe just keep one out of the three? There's no obligation for you to keep them if you don't want them, and you could sell/trade them for ponies you do want.

But just make sure you're doing it because you really want to. Remember you're lucky to still have your childhood ponies. I know I'm not the only MLP collector who had ponies as a child but was talked into giving them away when my family and friends convinced me I was too old for them.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Yeah, it makes me sad to hear stories when kids were forced to give up their ponies (or worse when the ponies were just taken away with no consulting).

It was the opposite for me. There was a lot of guilt involved when I decided I was done with a toy. "You are going to regret this" etc. Or some sort of hurt that I was causing because I was getting rid of an item that "so and so" gave to me.

Unfortunately that sort of still holds true... and in general it's hard to let go.

That's why maybe hearing a story of someone letting go, but still remaining in the community would be nice to hear.

And on the flip side I struggle with wanting some sort of "control" of them if they left my hands. That control just being that they were left as-is (no customs or heavy restore) and left out on display. It'd just make me sad to think another owner would just box them up. And that's no business of mine what someone else would do, and I don't know how to rid myself of that feeling.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:42:50 AM by banditpony »

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
There are so many toys I recognize from my childhood that I pass up at thrift stores. "Ooh! I had that as a kid!" and I move on with no desire to keep it for my adult self.
I actually didn't find MLP until I was 15, so I don't have a "Childhood" collection perse.
About half of America can relate with you on giving up a collection alltogether (Beanie Babies anyone!? haha)

I would say that if they're fairly common it's just fine to keep them because if you are indeed feeling conflicted, you might regret it later.
Just 3 ponies don't take up much space at all, but If you really truly feel like you don't want them around then let that speak for itself! You can love the memories of MLP without having to own the toys.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
As someone who has been collecting since I was six - I'm nineteen now - I can claim that most of my ponies are my 'childhood herd'. At one point I had about 200 ponies! Over the years the herd has been pruned down to my absolute favorites and I regret none of it. It gives me the space and money to support things I do enjoy. :lovey:

As a general rule, if I don't use or appreciate something within a year, I don't need it. (Exceptions apply to books, movies, and video games because I don't re-read / watch those very often anyway.) You could put them in storage for a while and think it over. :> If you want to keep them, great, if not that's fine too.

Mimic on MLPTP

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
Wow, Sundown. 200-->6 is a big difference!

Thank you for sharing~ It gives me a bit more confidence. ^^

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
I don't have my childhood pony. Although I wish I did. I find that most of the toys I care about most now are ones I got rid of never thinking that I'd miss them. Whereas the ones I kept because I thought I would miss them I don't really care much about most of them and will be sending them to new homes eventually.

If you want to know your ponies will be taken care of, just choose your buyer carefully. I personally came across someone's childhood collection. When they sold them to me I got to hear some of the ponies stories, and was really touched when she asked me to love them as much as she did. The ones included in that sentiment I definitely view differently than the rest of my collection and if at some point I were to relocate any of those ones in particular I would be very choosy over where they went lol.

I personally wouldn't opt to sell your childhood ponies (especially since it's only 3), but I did want to make sure you know, there are people out there who will take care of them the way you're hoping if they know :) Again, you just need to choose the buyer carefully.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
As someone who has zero of my childhood ponies, I would absolutely hold on to them, even if it means boxing them up for the future in case you regret rehoming them. I do have a childhood Bushwoolie, and he will never be leaving my collection :)
I did find childhood photos showing I owned a Parasol, and a Tiddlywinks. Both of which I bought as an adult and have kept in my collection as "surrogate" childhood ponies.

I think if you do decide to rehome them, pick someone who will keep all three together permanently, and will keep them on display together. And also maybe add in that if in the future you want them back, maybe the new buyer would be willing to part with them in case that ever happens. I think its tricky to guarantee those conditions, but maybe someone will be willing.

Ultimately it is your decision, so if you feel strongly about letting them go, than I would do it!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
I remember seeing my childhood ponies (bar a few that escaped the cull) being sold at a car boot sale because I was too old to have them. And it tore me in to the mad that got them was odviously going to split and sell them for a profit. 

The ones I rescued I actually forgot about for a long time (they fell out of boxes in the attic) but found again then I started to try and find the ones I had lost. I think if they are taken from you it is different from if you sell then when you are ready.

Personally I have now my entire childhood herd back (even if they are not original) and none of them are going anyware ever again. Even if the rest of the collection does. But if you are ready to part with them I see not reason not to put them up for sale but ask for them not to be altered in any way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:07:22 PM by cyberunicorn »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
Most of the stories you hear about people giving up their childhood ponies end in regret, but that may well be reporting bias since those who were fine with the decision later would be less likely to need to talk about it.  Given it's only three ponies, I'd keep them.  There's no way for you to get those exact ponies back later on. 

Ultimately it depends if they're making you feel better or worse by having them.  If owning the three actively causes you to feed bad, then it's probably time for them to move on.  If it's just a neutral state, keep them, reevaluate in a few years.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
but... I don't think THAT alone is a good enough reason. It is emotional and that scares me.

Why would something emotional be a scary thing? o_0

There's so much pressure these days to 'do the right thing' or 'be productive.' People look down on you for just having something because you want to have it, or for keeping something just because there's an emotional connection.

It's not bad or wrong to keep something because you have emotions attached to it, you know? Not everything in your life has to 'be productive' or 'have a purpose.' Sometimes you just keep something because you like it. It reminds you of happy times, and you are able to remember those happy times better when you look upon it. That's my belief, anyway. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »
Losing my childhood ponies is my biggest regret. I only have 2 childhood ponies. Yes I have tons of other ponies now. I tell myself upgrading is easier this way. Though it still hurts me. :/ I been meaning to downgrade but I havent been able to bring myself to prune the g3s or g4s. Maybe someday I will but until then I will keep them. G3s and the latter wont move as fast if I tried to get rid of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal