collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is there any rhyme or reason to your collection???  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Is there any rhyme or reason to your collection???
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
With dolls and the like, I tend to collect complete lines and display them in neat, organized arrangements. But with ponies... there are so many types, sizes, generations, series, and styles that my collection starts to just look like a giant vault of randomness. o_0; Trying to "complete" anything seems like an insurmountable task, due to the sheer volume of releases!

My question(s): is there rhyme or reason to your collection? Do you only collect certain generations, or certain types of ponies from said generations (brushables, blind bags, Funko, plush, etc.)? I seem to have collected a bit of everything. ^_^; And how do you display them in a way that's orderly and aesthetically pleasing?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:24:49 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Makaroni_the_pony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is there any rhyme or reason to your collection???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
I literally just buy ponies that I like lol, sometimes I want to finish sets like with the so softs and the twinkle eyes, but even then if I don't like a pony I won't put it on my shelf, usually I go for bright colors, pastels, or just color schemes I think are cute

I'll collect ponies in any generation if I like them

My best tip for making ponies look nice would be to make sure you only do single rows on the shelf because once you start stacking rows it makes them look crazy, and also if you want you can color coordinate and do a rainbow thing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:31:10 PM by Makaroni_the_pony »

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
I don't know that there is any rhyme or reason to my collection other than they are ponies I like, which seeing as there are very few ponies that I don't like means just about everyone could have a place there. xD
The only completion I've been going for is just trying to complete the herd I played with in childhood, I think I have almost all my ponies still from childhood so lately I've been trying to find the ones that my best friend had in her herd.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
When I first started collecting I wanted to complete all the sets. I got to about 1000 (with many more to go!) before I realized that this dream would not make for a nice reality. When I started forgetting who I owned I realized something should change. I also MUCH prefer the looks of my shelves now. Each pony has a bubble of personal space lol. It allows her to truly be displayed, instead of just being shelved if that makes sense?

Now I dont worry about sets. I only get ponies that dazzle me. My collection is about 150 now or so.
I tend to gravitate towards blues and greens and ponies in nm shape, but rhyme or reason? Chaos I tell you :p
I collect G1 and (mostly just Rainbow Dash) G4 with a handful of others mixed in. I also collect fakies because they're available in my favorite colours, whereas there are pretty few G1s in those shades.

Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
Uh...hmm...whatever strikes my fancy and doesn't break my wallet I guess? :what:

ETA: Plus getting back at least some of my childhood favorites as well as snagging some of childhood me's most wanted.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:21:52 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Admittedly, my collection is based on the ponies I like the TV series.  Wind Whistler and Fizzy were obvious firsts.  Then Paradise and Galaxy were high priorities, and I continued on from there.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
no i just like them
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
This summmarizes my collecting in order of priority. :)

G1/G2/G4 Boys
G1 Newborn Twins!
G4 Non mane Six
G4 Rarity

Whatever interesting G3s I find at thrift.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
Nope, I just get whichever ones I like :) I display them in a loose theme, like, I make up families for my ponies so I display them together, most of my winter/Christmas ponies are together, etc. Mums and babies are always together. Then for other ponies I just kind of put them wherever they'll go :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Sure- all of it is stuff I really like :D

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Sure- all of it is stuff I really like :D

That makes a certain amount of sense. XD haha!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
Absolutely no rhyme or reason, I collect primarily by hunting in the wild so  you never know what pony you'll come across! I don't collect G3 anymore due to space, but theres only been a few sets I'm purposefully trying to complete

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
I have no plan or direction with the collection! if it looks cool, I buy cool. Then once I identify it, loose my cool. Because it's cool.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
Well, I first started actively collecting a few years into the G3 line, and then I found out about the G1 European exclusives and bought a bunch of lots that I sorted and, er, never got past that with them, so I'm sure I have a bunch of common duplicates. Most of my collection is stored in boxes. I tried to do the whole MIP thing with the G3s, but they took up so much space that most were deboxed. Now I'm pretty much selling my G3's and focusing on the G1 line, primarily due to spacial constraints, and have decided to try getting the complete (loose!) line. The harder part is knowing who I need, because of those lots I bought! Doesn't help that I took a 1-2 year break from the arena and collecting in general, so have to go through the boxes and see who is where.

I know there are some ponies I need (Mimic and Crumpet, for two) and for awhile I focused on getting the last pony in particular lines (for example, Seaflower took me a bit), but there are other groups I'm not so sure about (like the so softs) because I haven't been able to take the time to sort through what all I have! ^^; Now, I'm working on redesigning my display cabinet, so I can display the baby ponies with their accessories, and hopefully not have to store those forever. :) Getting the entire G1 (US) line will be slow going, but the hunt is fun. :awake:
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
I'm trying to complete my collection of US G1s. G2s I want a complete collection of US and non US. G3s I started out trying to collect them all and got way to overwhelmed so I only collect the ones I like and G4s I only collect what I like or certain sets like the pearly brushables. I love pony merch as well and plushies. Pretty much anything pony I collect lol.

I have shelves for displaying mainly bookshelves and some wall hanging shelves. I try to keep the same gens together on the same shelf.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal