collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: References to Mythology in G1 My Little Pony  (Read 800 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
References to Mythology in G1 My Little Pony
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
Friendship is Magic makes many references to classical mythology, about 90% of it being Greek mythology and rather...on the nose.

Well, G1 made several references to mythology and folklore as well.

Perhaps the most prevalent is the rainbow bridge connecting the ponies' world to Megan's.  This references rainbow bridges in various mythologies including those from East Asia, Polynesia, and most famously the Bifrost from Norse mythology.

Squirk's appearance and agenda to sink Ponyland back beneath the waves alludes to Lovecraft's Cthulhu.

Erebus was named after the Greek primordial deity of the dark and shadows, and the reference is reinforced by the fact he consumes shadows to fuel his power.

Goblins make multiple appearances throughout the series.

Niblik is a troll, and displays their infamous greed.  He also controls a vital bridge he demands tolls to use.

Crunch the Rockdog clearly takes inspiration from the tales of golems, creatures made from the earth but lacking a soul.  Like Crunch, they were often created to serve as a guard but their lack of human compassion made them brutal and impossible to control.

However, Crunch's defeat also seems to take inspiration from the folktale of a giant who hides his heart away to make his body invulnerable and the only way to defeat him was to find his heart.

Also, you have the Mountain King and the frantic escape from his "Hall".

The Golden Door.  Just the Golden Door.

The lava demons and ice orcs appear to reference the fire and ice joten of Norse Mythology.

Paradise uses the Riddle of the Sphinx of baffle the lead Blark.

Gnomes, Undine, and Salamanders are creatures believed to have a primordial connection to earth, water, and fire respectively.

Obviously this is just the show.  The comics make this look like the tip of an iceberg.

I actually like the idea of going with more northern and eastern European folklore.  I find it more interesting than Greek mythology.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: References to Mythology in G1 My Little Pony
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »
Chinese / Japanese mythology would be an interesting addition to MLP.  I think Greek mythology is usually prominent because it's where Pegasus and unicorns come from.

It would be interesting to see some of the less prevalent Greek monsters / myths be introduced.  Like the Myrmekes, fierce giant ants that range in size from "dogs to small bears" that hoard gold.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
Chinese / Japanese mythology would be an interesting addition to MLP. 
Chinese and Japanese mythology are not the same thing mind you. I realise you know that but I'm just stating it for the record, as Japan took some cultural ideas from China but also had their own and evolved them in their own distinct way. Also, what of Korean mythology? They also have a very significant cultural tradition which gets overlooked and forgotten when people talk about east asia.

In terms of Japanese mythology, horses are pretty significant at points in their cultural history (particularly as shrine offerings known as shinba, or images known as ema) but I am not sure how that would work into an MLP story to be honest. Especially into G4. You could, however, bring in one of their mythical creatures such as the kirin, nue or tengu. A kirin (not a giraffe, although they use the same word) might be an ally for a pony or an enemy. I imagine nue or tengu would appear as a villain figure. And I suppose tanuki or kitsune might make cute mischievous additions.

It's really interesting that all those cultural references are hidden inside G1. The one that sticks in my mind is the flutter ponies and their solar worship, which reminds me of ancient Egypt and specifically, Akenaten and his cult of the sun god.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:17 AM »
I always liked Hercules' off-handed reference to the Augean stables ("this is more fun than cleaning out the Augean stables" or words to that effect) in "Through the Door" :) Erebus' name is pretty clever, too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
I wish I could remember the specific name of the story where the giant hides his heart.  I know it's been referenced as the inspiration for the third chapter of the first Paper Mario game, but I can't remember the name of it.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
Ooh, nice thread! Will have a more careful read through tomorrow.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »
It would be interesting to see some of the less prevalent Greek monsters / myths be introduced.  Like the Myrmekes, fierce giant ants that range in size from "dogs to small bears" that hoard gold.
We do have Bumble and her bees who hoard nectar.  Not exactly the same, but similar.  Giant, gold hoarding ants would be awesome though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal