collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to make sculpted epoxy wings for customs?  (Read 392 times)

Makaroni_the_pony

• Trade Count: (0)
How to make sculpted epoxy wings for customs?
« on: May 07, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
I'm working on customizing a g3 Star Catcher for one of my best friends right now, and I was really wanting to surprise her by resculpting her wings with epoxy kind of like in these pictures

Ex. 1
Ex. 2

I know enough about sculpting to know how to do the feathering and the detailing on the wings, but since this is the first time I've ever done an epoxy addition to a preexisting toy, I want to know what the best way to do it is. To those of you who have done resculpted wings like this, do you usually do them beforehand and then add them to the pony, or do you sculpt them directly onto her back? Also what sort of a support frame if any would you reccomend when using epoxy. Would you use wire or something else? And to ensure the shape of the wings, do you think a cardboard/paper guide would be a good idea?
If you have pictures I'd love to see <3

thanks a tonn

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
Re: How to make sculpted epoxy wings for customs?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
I do wings one of two ways when it's clay only.

1. Draconic on foil.
There's a good bit of sag even with the wire bones which makes a realistic effect on how wings would truly act. The leading edge of the wings is a single piece of heavy flower arrangement wire going from wingtip to wingtip.

Spoiler

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2. Feathered on plastic
I'm a real believer in reuse/recycling materials. If the plastic I get is too flimsy for a real form then the ridge will have a bit of the same wire boning I'd use for the draconic wings along the leading edge too. The wire would usually (for me) go from wing "knuckle to knuckle". Milk cartons are generally strong enough for most wings by themselves. Inset into the body at least a 1/4 inch and glue in place. The largest feathers go on first so you can layer like a real bird.

Spoiler

You'd need to experiment to get your own feel for the right feathers. The ones on Darkhorse's Firefly seem to be done in the same way as I'm describing with primaries (fingers) done first then the secondaries (elbows) to attach the wings in position to the body and finishing with a simplified coverts layer. It's possibly done underwing before overwing but I think both sides could be done at once if you were used to it.

Hope that helps!  ^.^
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Makaroni_the_pony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
Thanks so much! That's super helpful, and I'm definitely gonna try it out uvu

Also all those customs look amazinggg

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
I used this tutorial the first time I made wings. http://eiriel.deviantart.com/art/Wing-Sculpting-Tutorial-59733330

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal