collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are older Disney Store Rapunzel dolls rare? I might be looking for one...  (Read 962 times)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
I have been fiddling with the thought of getting a DS Rapunzel for years now, but always talked myself off of it. Now was the first time I actually tried looking for one, just to find that she's completely unavailable on local second-hand sites. It wasn't that big of a surprise, as there is no Disney Store in my country, but I was quite sure there will be some of her available for sale on the second-hand market, given the massive presence of imported second-hand toys in my country. I was wrong... the one single doll I found of her is a newer version that I do not like. Not a single one among completed listings either... :blink: :shrug:

...so, I headed to eBay to check, and was expecting cheap lots of naked dolls with ratty hair (which I would not mind, I might reroot her anyway, and I don't need her clothes) - which is not what I found. The few auctions that had the versions I like came out to above $30 with shipping, which is much more than what I am willing to spend on her unfortunately...

I like both the first and second versions (first with no eyelashes, second with 3 eyelashes per eye - the two included in this review by Emily/The Toy Box Philosopher: link ). I think I prefer the first version, but the more I look, the more tied they are. I do not like the even newer face with two eyelashes per eye nearly as much (also reviewed by Emily here: link, so I'm not interested in her.

Are these dolls rare and hard to find? I'm really not a Disney or Rapunzel expert, most of what I know about these dolls is coming from my very-very recent searches, trying to find out which is the version I like...
Do you possibly have one for sale, or do you know where to look for them (or how - given my insufficient eBay search experience)? :blush: ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Her hair gets ratty pretty quickly (she has a lot of it, after all.). :).

I don't think she's difficult to find (I've run across her 2 or 3 times,) but that might explain why she's harder to find.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Loona

• View Profile
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I can imagine how quickly her long hair (and the first version even had tinsel, that only makes things worse) can become a tangled (no pun intended :P ) mess, and given that her hair is unusually long, it can easily look bad and unsalvageable - which might prevent parents from trying to resell her... which is too bad in my case :/

well, I will keep looking, there is not much more I can do :) I wish I realised this about 2-3 years ago, back then there was a little second-hand toy shop selling import used toys, I loved to go there, and found some true gems that were normally not sold in my country. I'm sure I would have run into this girl there as well sooner or later, but the shop has since closed, and even if it was open I don't really get to visit that area of the city during opening hours anymore (I used to work closer to that area back then, which made regular shop visits easy).

Offline Loona

• View Profile
Re: Are older Disney Store Rapunzel dolls rare? *I finally found one*
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
A happy update to this old post of mine: in September I finally managed to get a hold of this doll - and to top the long wait, not one, but four! :P The amount was definitely not planned: right after I finally won her eyelashed version on an auction for a price I was willing to pay, the non-eyelashed version came up for bids at a 0.99 GBP starting price. Checking the auctions revealed that the seller has 3 other versions of her (all within the no eyelashes or 3 eyelashes range that I like), for the same price. I figured this might be my best chance to see which one I like the most, so I bid, got lucky and won all 3 for rather low prices :cool:
Unfortunately (due to a lack of proper packaging - they were sent in a thin cereal box without any additional bubble wrap or even a plastic bag) one of them arrived with a broken neck... I am hoping to try to fix this, or do a body switch - I am planning to rebody her on to a Liv body anyway, the proportions seem rather similar, but the Liv body's articulation is superior.

Now I have to start thinking of which one(s) to keep. Now that they are here, in person I think I prefer the version with 3 eyelashes&tinsel hair the most (I can't figure out which version some of them may be: now I have two in perfectly identical clothes, same face-up with 3 eyelashes, but one of them has tinsel in her hair, the other not. I do realise though that since they are all used, the clothes they came in may not be their originals), but I highly prefer the longer hair of the very first version, so it's a tie... I might try to paint eyelashes for the first version (with water soluble paint for starters) to see if that's what's making the difference.
I originally planned to keep just one doll and rehair her to have a short brown hairdo, but I have grown to like her original hair a lot too, so for now I am thinking of keeping 2 out of the 4, rehair one and keep another one as is. I'd really need to speed up with the decision though, I'm pretty sure reselling the other 2 would be the most effective before Christmas. The problem is, the more I think of it, the more I am leaning towaard keeping even a 3rd one and try to do a more movie-accurate repaint... The longer time they spend with me, the more I fear I will end up keeping all 4 XD which would not be an issue pricewise, but I already have more dolls than space...

In case anyone is interested I can post pictures of them :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal