collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flaws you can't stand  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
Re: Flaws you can't stand
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
Oh I remember one now. What I really can't stand is tail hole issues. I can't stand it when the tail hole is bent outwards like if the tail is too thick for the hole. I managed to repair those in the past but still wouldn't buy most of the time. Also, I repaired a ripped tail hole on a Nirvana (Vene blue Cotton Candy) very neatly, but I did... while I know others would not have touched it. Didn't make a pic of how it was before, unfortunately. They hadn't punched out the plastic bit properly and so the tail hole ripped open quite a bit when they put in the tail. You can still see a very thin line where once was the rip, if you look very closely.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:31:21 PM by Tiara546 »

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Haircuts and tail rust. Mostly anything else in moderation I will be OK with.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
flock rub
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline ponytales

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 03:18:20 PM »
Like most of you, cancer & regrind gets me because there's nothing I can do about it.

Missing tails don't bother me so much because I can give them a new one. But a majorly cut mane, mismatched head/body colour, or pen marks that I can't fade or remove really bother me.

I think my biggest thing though would be if the body has been 'dyed' by the hair. Like a white pony now has major pink marks around her neck because she has pink hair and it's rubbed against her. Or the body now has neon yellow stains because the hair is neon yellow! Really gets on my nerves!

I think when it comes down to it, it would depend on the pony. For certain Colombians, Thai Mountain Boys, South African's or my grails, I'd probably bring myself to accept any flaw!  :lol:
Currently seeking Italian Blue Lickety Split :inlove:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »

I think when it comes down to it, it would depend on the pony. For certain Colombians, Thai Mountain Boys, South African's or my grails, I'd probably bring myself to accept any flaw!  :lol:

so true!!!

and i'm here pointing to the Bait Guide down in my signature.
i feel like i need to sprinkle that in every few pages.  :3

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »
Mildew smell, Daddy Apple Delight stinks. Anyone know how to get rid of the smell.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:11 AM »
G1: Head/body mismatch, plastic breakdown. 
G3: that thing with the glitter ponies where the glitter has disappeared.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
G1: Head/body mismatch, plastic breakdown. 
G3: that thing with the glitter ponies where the glitter has disappeared.

It does? How?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
I don't care for age spots, staining and cut/frizzy hair.  But I think the only thing that made me reject a pony was one who was so badly inked up to look like a demon, it looked impossible to fix or display without nightmares.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
I don't care for head body mismatch in G1s.  I don't care for haircuts, marker, mold and symbol rubs.  The worst for me though  is cat pee.  When a pony arrives covered in cat pee nothing helps it.  Argh

My Munchy arrived covered in cat wee (to my horror) and filled with brown slimy stuff inside. I gave her several Vanish baths - I think the overseas equivalent is Oxiclean? And scrubbed her hair with shampoo and left conditioner in to soak several times. She also sat on the shelf for a few weeks. There is no smell left now.

As to flaws: I don't like anything I can't fix or hide. So major head/body mismatch. Regrind. Highlighter marks. Symbol rust. Pony Cancer. And suchlike. I also prefer my ponies to be as near original as possible, so no rehairs or repainting of symbols for me please. However, if a pony has been rehaired or repainted in an alternate colour scheme then I might be interested. Rather make it obvious that this is not the original pony if that makes sense?

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
missing hair plugs or cut hair chewed up parts are very annoying too frizzy hair
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
It depends on the pony and how I came upon them. When I'm shopping online, I generally try to find ones in decent shape. I avoid head/body mismatches, regrind, MASSIVE symbol rubs, and missing parts. But if it's a pony I'm not a huge fan of, and just want it to complete a set, my standards drop quite a bit.
Now if I come across a pony at a thrift shop/flea market or if it's one my mother found and grabbed for me? I don't care what shape it's in. I will restore it. Even if I find an upgrade online for like $10, I'll still spend more trying to restore the one I already have. I do not like the idea of a G1 pony (only gen I collect) getting called "bait" and being customized. I do not like the idea of getting rid of a pony that other collectors won't appreciate because they're too picky for her flaws and just call her trash.  I'd rather just keep the flawed girly, give her lots of love and restore her than allow either of those to occur. These are toys that have been around for thirty years and that have passed through many hands during that time. They're going to show wear and tear, and to me that doesn't mean they should be passed up for not being "good enough" or be slathered in paint and "customized."

TL;DR: I prefer nicer condition ones like pretty much everyone, but there is no flaw that will make me want to disown a pony.

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
Now if I come across a pony at a thrift shop/flea market or if it's one my mother found and grabbed for me? I don't care what shape it's in. I will restore it. Even if I find an upgrade online for like $10, I'll still spend more trying to restore the one I already have. I do not like the idea of a G1 pony (only gen I collect) getting called "bait" and being customized. I do not like the idea of getting rid of a pony that other collectors won't appreciate because they're too picky for her flaws and just call her trash.  I'd rather just keep the flawed girly, give her lots of love and restore her than allow either of those to occur. These are toys that have been around for thirty years and that have passed through many hands during that time. They're going to show wear and tear, and to me that doesn't mean they should be passed up for not being "good enough" or be slathered in paint and "customized."

TL;DR: I prefer nicer condition ones like pretty much everyone, but there is no flaw that will make me want to disown a pony.

I think this is pretty much my position as well, except that I really don't think I can stand pony "cancer".  Everything else (fading, haircuts, pen marks, even a head/body mismatch although that hurts my eyes) is OK with me. In fact the ponies that have come to me in the worst shape, and that I have spent the most time cleaning up, turn out to be the ones I love the most.  I have some ponies that I bought on eBay that I might not have chosen if I'd seen them IRL but now that I have them I feel like I owe it to them to look after them. I only have G1s and I completely get KottonKandy on remembering these toys have been around for 30 years and deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Not that I have a problem with other people having a problem with a flawed pony!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:47:42 AM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
Ponies that reek. I found a big lot of G1s at the flea market and they had mouse poop and pee all over them and smelled TERRIBLE. Pulling mouse poop out of their hair was not fun :P And ponies that smell like cigarette smoke, yuuuuuck! Got a lot of 4 or 5 G1 princesses from ebay a long time ago and they reeked of smoke. Now I always ask sellers if their items are from a smoke free home!
My Wish List

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
I can't really think of a flaw I can't stand on its own, but when a pony has a lot of flaws it bugs me. I have a Baby Surprise with frizzy hair, an age spot, faded balloon strings on both her symbols, a smudge in one eye and a mark in the other, and tail rust. I really need to see if I can try to restore her sometime (at least try to fix everything that isn't the age spot). I have no experience with restoring things though. Some of the glue is loose though so that should make it pretty easy to remove the head whenever I decide to restore her. I'd just need to get something to replace the washer with before I do it.

Ponies that reek. I found a big lot of G1s at the flea market and they had mouse poop and pee all over them and smelled TERRIBLE. Pulling mouse poop out of their hair was not fun :P And ponies that smell like cigarette smoke, yuuuuuck! Got a lot of 4 or 5 G1 princesses from ebay a long time ago and they reeked of smoke. Now I always ask sellers if their items are from a smoke free home!

I suppose this would be a single flaw I couldn't stand! Luckily I've yet to come into the possession of a stinky pony.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal