collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flaws you can't stand  (Read 8182 times)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Flaws you can't stand
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
Cigarette smoke smell, missing body parts and major chew marks.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »
I really do prefer mint or near mint. I'll just share the flaws I CAN live with, which are minor symbol of eye scratches, bad hair (dry/frizzy), some haircuts (depends) and the odd pen or sharpie mark.

The age related flaws get me because even if I try not to buy ponies with those, things like cancer or regrind can show up later.

Probably the most random flaw I'll avoid is faded pink hair, I don't know why, it really irks me for some reason and I know that in the world of flaws it's a pretty silly one.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
Forelock cuts. Never. Ever.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
Faded hair, and hair cuts in particular. I don't like massively marked ponies but I can live with a few marks here and there. But faded hair and cut hair I don't like. Not a huge fan of frizz either, but sometimes I can live with it.

Obviously missing parts are a more extreme but valid dislike.

I don't like smoke smells but I can live with them if I can air the pony enough to make it fade into the background.

Also I don't like restored ponies. I consider reroot or repaint to be a 'flaw' as they are alterations on the original. So I avoid restored ponies like the plague - if you gave me a choice between a reroot and a pony with a hair trim I would take the cut, probably, even though I don''t like cut hair.

Faded pink hair is probably my biggest bugbear though; every pony I have ever had with faded out hair I have systematically tried to upgrade for that reason.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 01:11:46 AM »
I like to restore, but rehairing is a pain, so I try to avoid major hair cuts. I also prefer original hair, so badly done partial rehairs irk me sooo much too, and are an absolute heck no. If the new hair doesn't match exactly, the haircut stays!

Chews or missing parts, just no way, I can't stop picturing something chewing on the pony, or taking a box cutter to it - stuff of nightmares!

Cancer and regrind drive me nuts, because I can't fix them, and so I try to avoid them. That said, they're not an absolute deal breaker for me if I really want the pony.

Glitter symbol rust - ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. I have no idea why I'm so bothered by this one, I just am. I'd rather have rubbed or hardly any glitter than rusty glitter!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:15 AM »
I'm a restorer and general rescuer of dilapidated ponies, so there is no flaw too great for me. And yes, I have bought ponies who were missing manes, tails, symbols, limbs, ears and, on one occasion, a head (carved a new one for her out of wood). I have now broadened my repertoire to include damaged dolls. Sometimes I look at my life and wonder how I came to be running a pony-and-doll hospital and sanctuary.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »
I'm a restorer and general rescuer of dilapidated ponies, so there is no flaw too great for me. And yes, I have bought ponies who were missing manes, tails, symbols, limbs, ears and, on one occasion, a head (carved a new one for her out of wood). I have now broadened my repertoire to include damaged dolls. Sometimes I look at my life and wonder how I came to be running a pony-and-doll hospital and sanctuary.

I'm very interested in seeing your restorations! Especially the head you carved out of wood! c: don't know if photos exist or anything, but it sounds awesome!

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:02 AM »
Like everyone, if a flaw bugs me a lot and I don't know a fix, then I won't buy. This is the case for mold/"garage" smell, and I will always disclose that on ponies I sell because often people don't and I've resold ponies because of that later. Won't buy either if tinsel is crincled beyond repair.

Others I won't buy or just buy at low price to restore are chew marks - this really is the worst, I can't stand the picture in my mind how a silly child is chewing on a pony, makes me want to slap it (you don't have to comment on that, it is just how I feel and I made the choice for myself not to have children anyway). Missing limbs/ears and the like are bad as well, but can be restored to some extent which I am about to learn. Atm from my first tries, I have to say I still suck but it'll get better eventually. Large eye/symbol/blush rubs fit in this category as well, I am lucky to have an excellent restorer for that but will still flip that pony if I happen to get an upgrade eventually.

What I probably mind less than others is frizzy hair, as I'm good at restoring that myself.
But I must also say that I've generally grown tired of upgrading. Restoring ponies is fun to me, but reselling upgraded ponies is quite time consuming so lately, I am rather not buying and instead waiting to buy the definate version right from the start than buying what will clearly just be a roomholder anways.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 04:21:53 AM »
Head/body mismatch and anything that rattles inside the pony.

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 04:42:04 AM »
Cut hair bums me out, but I have more and more flawed ponies working into my collection. They deserve love too!  :lol:

Rattling and/or rust are real deal breakers, though.

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:14 AM »
For me it would be cigarette smoke smell or mold.  I'm kind of a germaphobe, so the thought of having to deal with a moldy pony is not my idea of a good time.  Ick!!  Even after I cleaned it (which would totally freak me out since I'd be touching the mold), I'd always think about it whenever I handled the pony.  I wouldn't be able to stop worrying and wondering if I had really got all the mold out so I wouldn't even be able to enjoy the pony at all.  If it was a grail pony that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise, I'd have to deal with it to add the pony to my collection, but given the choice I'll aim to avoid the moldy ones!

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
Major head/body mismatch is the only one I can think of. Except for So Softs - we still haven't figured out how to restore those so the fuzz has the same texture as the rest of the body, so for me, the less flocking loss, the better. ^^;
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
Really frizzy hair. If I have two of the same pony, I'll take one with an imperfect body/symbols, but with really silky hair over one that's otherwise perfect by with frizzy hair.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 02:06:52 AM »

I'm very interested in seeing your restorations! Especially the head you carved out of wood! c: don't know if photos exist or anything, but it sounds awesome!

Once I manage to get Photobucket working on my phone, I intend to start a thread showing off some of my restorations :)

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 02:25:47 AM »

Once I manage to get Photobucket working on my phone, I intend to start a thread showing off some of my restorations :)

I'm looking forward to it! :) Hopefully Photobucket will cooperate for you soon.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal