collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning and beheading  (Read 492 times)

artful_fox_customs

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning and beheading
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:22:53 AM »
So I bought a pony lot and it just came in. All are being used for customs, but it's my first time working with g3s. I thought, "oh their heads will turn and be easy to pop like the g4s right?" Oh no. Nononononono... I can't get these darn heads off without cutting them! I can't even get the g3.5's head off that I got... Stupid neck plugs and being glued in place.

Anyone else have this much struggle with heads? Or is it just me?

:stressed: :art: :what:

[Moved to Customs! Uninu]

EDIT~ I'm killing my hand trying to break the seals on these hands...  :enraged: :enraged: :enraged:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:46:06 AM by artful_fox_customs »

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning and beheading
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »
Some G3 heads are hard and not easy to get off. I have noticed that heating the head/neckplug helps a lot. I have used hot water for this. No matter what you use to warm up/soften the plastic, be careful as you may burn yourself when handling the heated plastic. For preventing this I use a clean towel and wrap it around the head. I hope this helps!

artful_fox_customs

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
Some G3 heads are hard and not easy to get off. I have noticed that heating the head/neckplug helps a lot. I have used hot water for this. No matter what you use to warm up/soften the plastic, be careful as you may burn yourself when handling the heated plastic. For preventing this I use a clean towel and wrap it around the head. I hope this helps!

I haven't tried heating it up yet, but I have been just carefully cutting the seal with my xacto knife.

lostpony

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »
On g1s, (which might translate to g3 im note sure) use a butterknife to break the glue, and twist the blade back and forth as you push forward to break only the glue and not cut the pony (or your arteries).

Please use something dull if you can; i've chopped off quite a bit of me with xactos from time to time and there are so many pony necks to cut...odds go up.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Personally, I've always used my flip-lock Husky blade to cut pony heads off. Heat hasn't done much good for me, so... *shrug*

Just make sure you're aiming and pushing the blade away from your body - as Lostpony mentioned, cuts are not fun. If you want, you could also invest in a carving glove for your off hand - they're usually made of kevlar and have little dots on them to help deflect the blade should something happen; most woodworking stores carry them, as well as some hardware stores. Also, a sharp blade in my experience is better than a dull one. With a sharp one, it's however you control the blade that makes a difference; with a dull one, I find the blade wanders more, which is annoying.
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal