collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Issue With Megan  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: The Issue With Megan
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:26 AM »
I've wanted to say Megan is fair, blond, and blue eyed because she is of Scandinavian heritage which actually has some bearing on her connection with Pony Land.  Hey, the ponies use a natural occurring Bifrost to reach her ranch and the G1 world has many things based on Norse and other Northern European mythology and folklore.

I'm with Taffeta that if they left her blank to be an insert character, it backfired.  She had just a little too much personality for that, and was far too overbearing on the ponies.  This is their world, and she is a visitor.  The relationship should have been the opposite with the ponies competent and protecting and guiding Megan through a world filled with wonders and terrors.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 05:49:47 AM »
She had just a little too much personality for that, and was far too overbearing on the ponies.  This is their world, and she is a visitor.  The relationship should have been the opposite with the ponies competent and protecting and guiding Megan through a world filled with wonders and terrors.
This would have been a much better choice, I think.  It would have helped the whole "She's filling in for the viewer" thing, if that's really what her purpose was, and would just make generally more sense.  They can still have her be the one to solve things sometimes, like if two ponies fell out, she could help there, but have the ponies be the ones looking after her more, especially during the adventure stuff.

Side note: Does anyone else like how her full name is coincidentally the first name of one G4 writer (albeit spelled differently) and the surname of another?  On the 1% chance she's used in G4, I want those two writers to write the episode.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
The thing about the "she's the proxy for the viewer thing" is that, first of all I don't think kids really need a proxy to imagine that they're best friends with the heroes.  Just look at anyone's early fanfics, lol.  I used to pretend I was BFF with the X-Men, but it never occurred to me to pretend I was Jubilee, the kid-appeal character. (I did like Jubilee, but I didn't particularly identify with her and she wasn't my fave.  My fave was Gambit, then Storm and Wolverine about equally.)

Second, I think a lot of kids prefer to pretend that they're one of the ponies, not a human hanging out with the ponies. Like, dang, we go through our lives being human anyway, let's pretend we're something magical for a while, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
The thing about the "she's the proxy for the viewer thing" is that, first of all I don't think kids really need a proxy to imagine that they're best friends with the heroes.
Yeah, good point.  I think a lot of us did that as kids, I mean I totally did, and sometimes of still do. 

Second, I think a lot of kids prefer to pretend that they're one of the ponies, not a human hanging out with the ponies. Like, dang, we go through our lives being human anyway, let's pretend we're something magical for a while, lol.
Maybe that's one of the reasons they dropped the humans - they realised everyone was putting themselves in the ponies' place more?
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

lostpony

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
I might have more of a megan opinion if i watched when i was a kid. Now, i really don't. She seems ok to me. I suppose. Seems nice enough.

I find it odd that no one has stepped up to say they really like her. Did no one?

Wonder if thats why no humans at all in later gens.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
I think they had Megan and later Molly simply so they could sell dolls for the line, plain and simple. Lets remember that the SOLE purpose of vintage MLP cartoons was to sell product.

I actually really loved the dolls as a kid but NEVER liked the Megan cartoon character. She was so bossy and SUCH a know it all. Way worse than I was at that age (lol). 

I didn't like Molly either since she was such a crybaby. But again, I loved her doll...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
I think they had Megan and later Molly simply so they could sell dolls for the line, plain and simple. Lets remember that the SOLE purpose of vintage MLP cartoons was to sell product.

Ha ha, good point!  "Why sell just ponies when we could sell ponies AND dolls?"  I never had the Megan or Molly dolls, but I did love the picture of Megan in the brochure.  I loved her dress (which is funny because I hated wearing dresses as a kid, lol) and her hair was just perfectly done.

Picture of it from Ponyland Press:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking back, I don't think I even thought of cartoon-Megan as the same person as doll-Megan.  Doll-Megan looked so much younger.  Also I had an impression that doll-Megan was more of a "solo" girl who just hung around with Sundance, not with ALL the ponies.  Probably I thought this because the brochure pic has her a fair ways away from Dream Castle, with it far in the background. 

Also the phrasing "in SEARCH of new friends and exciting adventures".  Sitting around at Paradise Estate is not being "in search" of anything. So I thought she was just having travel-adventures with Sundance.  Like a blonde Indiana Jones in a dress.

I also had no idea what Sundance's symbol was since it was hidden in the brochure picture and since I never got the set.  I was pretty disappointed when I finally saw it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:23:18 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

lostpony

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
That picture does suggest all those things and that doesn't even look like the cartoon megan.

I like Molly for her pigtails. That's all i need in a human pony character and megan doesn't even have em so i barely notice she exists.

Is that bad? :what:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »

A little bit offtopic maybe but this is pretty much exactly why I prefer playing non humanoid characters in games. It's like, I'm a human already. Why would I want to play one?

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 02:04:28 PM »
LadyMoondancer, your kid thoughts about doll-Megan were adorable!   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:07:33 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:30:00 PM by Gator »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

Good point. :) I don't ever remember prentending to be Megan but I do remember watching the Glass Princess and pretending that I was one of the ponies being tied down to the conveyor belt and forced to go through the pony wash.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
I do think Megan was meant, if anything, as the self-insert character.  And if she backfired, well...  those characters often do.  It isn't just her; there's a lot of people who don't like Bella from Twilight for the same reasons.

Personally, I don't mind her.  I'd much rather be watching the ponies, but she doesn't bother me.  And I do like her dolls, for that 80s aesthetic.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »
The thing about the "she's the proxy for the viewer thing" is that, first of all I don't think kids really need a proxy to imagine that they're best friends with the heroes.  Just look at anyone's early fanfics, lol.  I used to pretend I was BFF with the X-Men, but it never occurred to me to pretend I was Jubilee, the kid-appeal character.

They don't, but what kids actually like/want has never played a big part in board room decisions by executives.  They'll go with what they THINK kids want, or what they think they SHOULD want, and push that.  So much of marketing is ass-backwards, to the point where popular shows get canned just because they pulled the 'wrong' demographic.  -_-

I greatly disliked Juibliee as a child.  I thought she was utterly useless and dumb, I mean fireworks? BAH.  Give me Storm or Jean Grey any day of the year over her. I liked Gambit and Wolverine too, because they were cool.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
I hadn't thought about it much before now, but I definitely agree with those who like Megan in her first appearance (Firefly's Adventure/Rescue At Midnight Castle) where she's a brave and interesting character. I didn't see My Little Pony and Friends until I was in my teens, and I still haven't seen all of them, but my general impression of Megan is meh. I don't hate her, but I could see why some people would dislike her; she's kind of a know-it-all and bossy, like a big sister, which I would not have liked as a kid. (I was the big sister myself, so that may have something to do with it.) :P

Maybe you can just have Majesty come dispose of her and paradise estate and set up shop in the castle again...

:lol: It bothered me so much when they gave up Dream Castle in the movie!! I was like, no! Keep your pretty castle!! There are only, what, five Grundles? They don't need the space, lol!

Despite the haters, I will always like Megan
http://foxspotted.deviantart.com/art/Saying-Goodbye-192930324
Gator, I like your art! I looked at some of your other pictures, too. "Flight of Ponies" I like especially. They remind me of my childhood a little -- my games were like what you're drawing, with the exception of Megan, who I didn't have as a kid.

I actually really loved the dolls as a kid but NEVER liked the Megan cartoon character. She was so bossy and SUCH a know it all. Way worse than I was at that age (lol). I didn't like Molly either since she was such a crybaby. But again, I loved her doll...
Yeah, when I got the Megan doll from a thrift store ponies in my older teens, I fell in love. She's an extremely sweet doll. I love her original dress and since getting her I've slowly collected all of the dresses I can for her (So Soft, Twice as Fancy, Flower Maidens, and some other outfits). Currently she's wearing a dress from a thrift store that happened to fit (not many doll clothes do, so I'm always happy to find clothes small enough). When I was a teenager I tried sewing her a dress myself; I learned I am no seamstress :lol: Like Lady Moondancer said, I don't really associate the doll with the cartoon character, for some reason.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:47:36 PM by Haruna »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal