collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dolls We Love (But Shouldn't)  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
Dolls We Love (But Shouldn't)
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Or, more specifically, dolls we love despite their myriad flaws that would drive us absolutely nuts on any other doll but that we easily overlook on this specific one for some reason. 

For me, it's my BeGoths Greta Vendetta.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She honestly should frustrate me to no end. Her waist joint is floppy, her body shape is silly, her hair is a hard mess of gel, her articulation is minimal and involves those terrifying knee click joints that ruin the doll if they break, her color scheme is uninspired and she has unsightly black stains all over her hands and arms.

And yet.

I can't help but find her incredibly arresting. I think it's those bright green eyes. They give her an incredible magnetism that's very hard to ignore. I suppose it's fitting since this specific character is supposed to be a movie star.

Here she is next to a much more expensive doll. Despite the leagues of difference in cost and quality, I actually can't help but find that Greta threatens to steal my attention away from Evangeline in this picture.

What about you? Do you have one of these in your collection? A doll that you're enamored with despite logically having every reason to hate it? Tell  me your thoughts and show me your photos!
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Re: Dolls We Love (But Shouldn't)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »
I absolutely love the first catrine demew I ever bought. She's unimpressive and cheap quality but... God I just. Love her so much... She's my darling baby..

wishlist

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
Novi Stars come to mind immediately tho there are probably more.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Novi Stars come to mind immediately tho there are probably more.

I absolutely know what you're talking about. I have Mae Tallick, Roe Botik and Vera Tabray. I love them but they're honestly so frustrating (Mae and her wig that refuses to stay on, Roe and her coils that don't sit at all like they're supposed to, Vera and the fact that both versions of her I bought had major flaws) and I've resigned myself to the fact that they're basically oversized figurines.
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:25:17 AM »
oh man I am dating myself

anybody remember gorgeous creatures??  What were those toy makers were smokin' back then... anyhow yeah I look at that now and think of Howard Stern's "but her face" comments

that dog-doll kinda reminded me

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »
I have a doll from when I was a kid. She has a cloth body that's disintegrating, she's lost both her arms and her head is only half attached. Her legs have a ton of pen and highlighter on them it looks like, fingers have turned grey. Oh and she has huge bald spots, and one of her eyebrows is partly missing. Love her to pieces though. I think that covers them all lol? She's getting a lot of work put into her to fix her up because I love her so much.

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
oh man I am dating myself

anybody remember gorgeous creatures??  What were those toy makers were smokin' back then... anyhow yeah I look at that now and think of Howard Stern's "but her face" comments

that dog-doll kinda reminded me

I'm too young to have experienced these firsthand, but I've seen pictures of them before! I oddly sort of like them. I appreciate how...buxom they are, LOL

I think a more direct ancestor to Pinkie Cooper might be Peteena Poodle.

I like her and kind of want one, but not for the amount of money she generally sells for these days. If I found her in a yard sale I definitely wouldn't pass her up though!

I have a doll from when I was a kid. She has a cloth body that's disintegrating, she's lost both her arms and her head is only half attached. Her legs have a ton of pen and highlighter on them it looks like, fingers have turned grey. Oh and she has huge bald spots, and one of her eyebrows is partly missing. Love her to pieces though. I think that covers them all lol? She's getting a lot of work put into her to fix her up because I love her so much.

I know that feeling. It's hard to put away your feelings for childhood toys if you have that special bond with them, no matter how grubby they start to get -- and in my opinion, you shouldn't feel obligated to shelve those feelings, anyways. c: I'm sure she's beautiful to you and I'd be interested in seeing her restored. Do you know what kind of doll she is?

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
I know that feeling. It's hard to put away your feelings for childhood toys if you have that special bond with them, no matter how grubby they start to get -- and in my opinion, you shouldn't feel obligated to shelve those feelings, anyways. c: I'm sure she's beautiful to you and I'd be interested in seeing her restored. Do you know what kind of doll she is?

I would never shelf my feelings for her. She's way too special for that. If it were any other doll in her shape though I likely wouldn't even bother. But since it's her I don't care, we can make this work. Her wear and tear came from us dancing and spinning together, playing dress up, lots of hugs, and being carried around. Her eyebrow was bad luck. When my mom moved while I was at college some of my things were unfortunately lost or damaged in the mood. She had green and yellow paint melted into her face and removing that did unfortunately take some brow with it.

I don't really know too much about her origins honestly. I've had her since before I can remember. It doesn't seem to be something I will be able to track down either. The extend of what I know about her is here with pictures of course lol. I'm about half way through filling in her scalp now.

Since you expressed interest I'll throw her progress so far into a spoiler :)

Spoiler

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
I would never shelf my feelings for her. She's way too special for that. If it were any other doll in her shape though I likely wouldn't even bother. But since it's her I don't care, we can make this work. Her wear and tear came from us dancing and spinning together, playing dress up, lots of hugs, and being carried around. Her eyebrow was bad luck. When my mom moved while I was at college some of my things were unfortunately lost or damaged in the mood. She had green and yellow paint melted into her face and removing that did unfortunately take some brow with it.

I don't really know too much about her origins honestly. I've had her since before I can remember. It doesn't seem to be something I will be able to track down either. The extend of what I know about her is here with pictures of course lol. I'm about half way through filling in her scalp now.

Spoiler

Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on her either. : [ Her face looks Madame Alexander-ish to me but I'm probably dead wrong since child dolls aren't really my area of expertise. You're doing great work on her, though, her hair is already looking much better! Curious, are you creating new holes so she can have more plugs of hair rather than the............rather distinctive rooting pattern she had before?

Stinks about the eyebrow. Luckily, hers look pretty simple, so it shouldn't be too hard to simply redo.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »

Spoiler

Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on her either. : [ Her face looks Madame Alexander-ish to me but I'm probably dead wrong since child dolls aren't really my area of expertise. You're doing great work on her, though, her hair is already looking much better! Curious, are you creating new holes so she can have more plugs of hair rather than the............rather distinctive rooting pattern she had before?

Stinks about the eyebrow. Luckily, hers look pretty simple, so it shouldn't be too hard to simply redo.

The consensus so far is that she's one of those dolls that are unbranded or if branded is something like fakies. So I might not ever find out honestly.

Yes she is getting a significant amount of new plugs. She will have very full luscious hair when I'm done. Probably a ridiculous amount for her size but that is what I always wished she could have and what she'll need for me to do what I want with it :lol: She'll be getting another pink streak on the other side of her scalp, and then blue will be added along her lower hairline for cotton candy accents.

I don't think it will be hard to redo the eyebrow, I just have to figure out what will work best for her. I have no experience painting doll face or ponies yet. I still have enough of the bad eyebrow to use as a template though, and the other one is also in great shape for comparison.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal