collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HELP! Warped book pages!  (Read 960 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
HELP! Warped book pages!
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
Soooo I collect manga (shameless fujoshi), and my habit when I get new manga in this house is to pick up the mail, go back to bed, open to make sure that everything is good, and leave books on my bedside until I read them and put them back on the shelf, after doing anything I need done first.

Well, after a few hours, TWO manga on two separate occasions have become 'warped'. The pages are wavy throughout the ENTIRE thing! I will post a picture once my hands are healed.

Reading online, it sounds like this is a humidity issue. The books are in my living room, I have a huge dehumidifier cracked up on full, and the books are squished tight on a shelf to try and straighten them. They still look bad right now, can any book-savvy people give me tips? Insight on what this is and how to prevent it? I've given up on a lot of collecting, but my manga is still very precious to me and I DON'T want any more books warped!

I don't have any bigger heavier books to squash these ones with, since I live with a VERY small setup at the moment.

[Note to mods: I'm cross-posting this with MH arena because I want to reach as many people as possible, please PM me if this is not allowed!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Warped book pages!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
One thing that comes to mind is when you are done reading and enjoyed the booklet, is to pack it up. You can buy plastic sleeves at the comic book store and special card-stock backing for it. The plastic is good for preservation and 2, the card stock helps straighten it's form and protects it from bending.

As far as humidity is concerned, I can see how this has caused the warping to occur. I'm afraid there is no way of working around that, but to place the booklets pressed together and "sandwiched" between hardcover books for sometime and see if that helps. Keep in a "cool/dark" area too where the humidity can't get to it.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »
Bags and boards are great with comics - used to work in a comic store myself - but with manga it's not a thing I want to use for them.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
You will have to press them undisturbed for months, but it still may not correct completely as moisture can cause shrinkage in some paper, as well as, photographs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:44:37 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal