collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spirit Riding Free  (Read 10073 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Spirit Riding Free
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
I haven't watched it. I wasn't very impressed with the idea of something going opposite of the movies entire point, but hey if kids like it that's cool. I already had my Spirit, so maybe they can have this one.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
Ponyfan: Well that herd is so small, I kind of had the idea that if this is Spirit and Rain's descendant that when he came of age and was old enough to be driven out of the herd, he formed his own small band.

True: Yeah you're right. The making eyes from the train moment is kind of weird.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »
If the Spirit of Riding Free is a descent of the original Spirit and Rain where is the original Spirit? DreamWorks official character bio for the new Spirit says he is the leader of the herd so does that mean the original Spirit and Rain are gone?

Ponyfan

I know movies don't follow this normally but usually in wild herds only one stallion moves with them. Younger stallions or older stallions are kicked out and either band together or get their own herds, so it's possible it's just s completely different herd since the horse is a stallion and older he would wouldn't be with Spirit and Rain.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
If the Spirit of Riding Free is a descent of the original Spirit and Rain where is the original Spirit? DreamWorks official character bio for the new Spirit says he is the leader of the herd so does that mean the original Spirit and Rain are gone?

Ponyfan

Might be. How long do wild/feral horses live compared to domesticated ones? Plus young males are driven outta the herd so they won't compete for breeding  rights with the established stallion.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:37:08 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
Thanks everyone. I didn't think about this descendant of Spirit being old enough to be the leader of his own herd or that he might have been pushed out of his original herd when he came of age and formed a new herd. 

I haven't watched any of the episodes yet.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I didn't think about this descendant of Spirit being old enough to be the leader of his own herd or that he might have been pushed out of his original herd when he came of age and formed a new herd. 

I haven't watched any of the episodes yet.

Ponyfan

Well horses do reach full maturity around 4-5 years of age.  ^.^

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 11:49:57 PM »
For anyone who is playing Star stable: There's an event going on where you can help Spirit in missions and by doing so befriending him and even add him to your own herd of horses. :)
As for the new serie, I haven't seen it and I'm a bit afraid to.

https://www.starstable.com/en/article/3864
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:06:36 AM by Annie »

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
Hnng! The toys are now on Breyers website! :frolic: They even have a paint kit with all three horses which saves me MONEY grabbing them individually! I just have to buy two of them for my customs, plus one Boomerang. You rock Breyer!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
Well... I got bored and watched the first episode.  And then watched all of it.  I actually like it.  It has quite a few problems but, I can understand how little girls might get into this show.

Spoiler:

Spoiler
Spirit remains a wild horse.  Yay!  He basically visits before and after school.  When the girl isn't around he goes back to the herd.  His wildness is emphasized over and over again.

The girls and their horses are super cute together and each have quite a bit of personality.  Spirit is kind of an old-man-wisdom, one horse is a princess and the pinto is an adorable clown. 

One of the episodes is actually kind of a tearjerker.   

It does teach kindness towards animals which is always good.

The bad points... they dress modern, act modern and use modern slang.  I mean, they really should have just made the show set in modern times at a dude ranch.  The show really doesn't explain why Spirit wants to hang around this girl other than she is nice to him.  And... it's pretty clear all the horses understand English.  It's a little weird at times.   :huh:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
I watched the first two episodes during lunch today and I thought it was pretty cute!  Granted, it's cheesy at times but I still enjoyed it a lot and I'll definitely watch the rest of the episodes.  As someone who loves horses and prefers cartoons to live action, there are not as many cartoons about horses out there as you'd expect, so this show was definitely a welcome addition to Netflix.  Now I just wish they'd go ahead and add the rest of the Horseland episodes that they're missing! 

Actually, speaking of Horseland, this show does have kind of a similar vibe (although in Spirit Riding Free the horses don't talk to each other), so if you like Horseland I'd give it a shot. 

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
I remember Horseland! I only caught a handful of episodes on TV years and years ago... as for Spirit Riding Free maybe if I can pretend the original movie doesn't exist while watching it I'll be able to give it a shot.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
I remember Horseland! I only caught a handful of episodes on TV years and years ago... as for Spirit Riding Free maybe if I can pretend the original movie doesn't exist while watching it I'll be able to give it a shot.

Honestly it is so different from the movie that if not for the name and a couple of other elements I'd never have guessed they were even related.  I was worried that the cartoon would bother me since I love the movie so much, but it's so different that I can enjoy both in their own right.  So I'd say it's definitely worth a try :)

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
This is good to hear.  I won't be able to watch it anyway as I don't have Netflix, but I'm glad it's not awful.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 03:38:01 AM »
I know I'm behind, but I just watched the first episode. I couldn't really get in to it much. I loved the original Spirit and tried to give this series a chance but there was too much that didn't make sense or seemed out of place to me. 
Spoiler
How was Spirit able to know exactly where the dynamite blasts were going to hit so he could lead the girls out safely? Where is the something special that the original Spirit saw in Little Creek in Lucky? This Spirit seems to magically bound with Lucky just because she happened to go to the back of the train at the right time.

I do like the fact that Lucky doesn't try to tame Spirit and he remains wild.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 06:39:45 PM »
For anyone who is playing Star stable: There's an event going on where you can help Spirit in missions and by doing so befriending him and even add him to your own herd of horses. :)
As for the new serie, I haven't seen it and I'm a bit afraid to.

https://www.starstable.com/en/article/3864
I would love to try that if I knew how much the subscriptions were XD
I still have not tried to watch even snippets of this show so I can't judge it.. I do wish there was a proper 2nd movie but that likely will not happen
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal