collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 14,000 year old village ruins discovered in Canada  (Read 1269 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
14,000 year old village ruins discovered in Canada
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
Whoa!!! This is incredible.
http://www.history.com/news/ice-age-village-in-canada-is-one-of-oldest-north-american-settlements

Good video here:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/09/14000-year-old-village-older-than-egyptian-pyramids-is-unearthed-in-canada-6563823/

According to the oral tradition of the Heiltsuk Nation, an aboriginal group on British Columbia’s Central Coast, some of their earliest ancestors survived the last ice age by huddling on a strip of land that never froze, even as glaciers covered most of the rest of North America. Now, a team of archaeologists digging on Triquet Island has discovered evidence to back up that legend.

Archaeologists working with the support of the Hakai Institute began excavations on Triquet Island last summer. Since then, they have uncovered a number of artifacts linked to an ancient human settlement on the island, including fish hooks, a hand drill used to ignite fires and a wooden device used to launch projectiles, called an atlatl.

Buried some 2.5 meters underground, beneath layers of soil and peat, they discovered something even more intriguing. From the charred remains of an ancient hearth, the scientists used tweezers to painstakingly extract a few tiny flakes of charcoal. In November, carbon dating of the flakes revealed the hearth was some 14,000 years old—thousands of years older than ancient Rome or the Egyptian pyramids. In fact, the Triquet Island village dates back to the period of the last ice age, making it one of the oldest settlements ever discovered in North America.

The newly discovered settlement is about as old as the spear tip found in a mastodon skeleton on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula in 1977. That notable discovery pushed back estimates of the earliest human occupation on the western coast of North America to around 13,800 years ago (about 800 years earlier than previously thought).

Discovery of the settlement may well impact our understanding of ancient human migration patterns, as it challenges the traditional story of how the first humans arrived in the Americas. That theory argues that the earliest arrivals came to the region by crossing a land bridge connecting modern-day Siberia to Alaska some 13,000 years ago. But according to more recent research, the land bridge route may not have offered enough resources to support the earliest migrants during their crossing. Instead, humans may have traveled via boat, and entered North America along the coast.

Alisha Gavreau, a Ph.D. student at the University of Virginia and a researcher with the Hakai Institute, told the CBC that the Triquet Island settlement “really adds additional evidence” to the coastal entrance theory. “[A]rchaeologists had long thought that…the coast would [have] been completely uninhabitable and impassible when that is very clearly not the case,” she notes. Evidence from the site also shows the people who settled there were “rather adept sea mammal hunters.”

Gavreau presented her team’s findings at the annual meeting of the Society for American Archaeology this week. Some 3,000 scientists from around the world attended the five-day conference, held in Vancouver.

In addition to its impact on current thinking regarding human migration to North America, discovery of the settlement is a key development for the Heiltsuk Nation. “This find is very important because it reaffirms a lot of the history that our people have been talking about for thousands of years,” said William Housty, a member of Heiltsuk Nation. Such an affirmation will likely help the community going forward, as it negotiates with the Canadian government about territorial rights.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 14,000 year old village ruins discovered in Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »
That is super near, and very cool, thanks for sharing with us.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
That is so cool!!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
That's very interesting. Means I'm going to have to tweak some backstory in one of my books, though. If my Lord of Death is only 10,000 years old and we know humans have lived longer than that, we'd definitely have problems. :lol: :blush:

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »
So awesome when we find factual, scientific evidence to correlate ancient oral histories!  :) 

Like when we discovered the wreck of the HMS Erebus and Terror?  Where were they?  Oh, right where the Inuit said they were! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »
That's amazing! Wow

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »
That's awesome! :D Thanks for sharing! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal