collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How Did You Start Getting Into Other Gens?  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
How Did You Start Getting Into Other Gens?
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Growing up with G1, I didn't realize that G2 was around as I have never seen them in stores. So when I saw the G3s I was really excited because they reminded me so much of the ones I grew up with and I thought they'd been rebooted with that.  :blush:

I received a 4 pack as a gift from my grandma with Star Dasher, Rainbowdash, Denim Blue and Sparkleworks and I'm still collecting.

Totally in love with this gen. Though I didn't see any of the cartoons till last year. The hate against it is overblown, but it is rather dull.

I swore I'd never buy any G4s for myself and would just buy them for my daughter, but as luck would have it, Lyra Heartstrings and Diamond Mint pulled me in.

I don't have many and while there are some I intend to get, (provided Hasbro decides to quit being stingy with anything BUT the main cast,) I don't think they'll ever be my favorites​. Still, I like the ones I have. Especially the translucent ones.

G2s when I first saw them, gave me an awful jolt of extreme annoyance just as bad as 3.5s and G4s. But it was Pony of the Day and people showing off their brags that made me say;

"Hey, that one has pretty colors." Or
"This one has an unusual symbol."
Or "Lookit the babies and unicorns!

So yeah, even though I don't have any, because all the ones I want seem to be out of my reach, it's because of you lovely Pony Peeps here that I've come to appreciate them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:23:12 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: How Did You Start Getting Into Other Gens?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
I liked My Little Pony during G1, but really got back into MLP when Friendship is Magic came out. That sort of reignited my interest. I started by just buying my couple of childhood ponies when it came to collecting G1. I started out just buying favorites and, for some reason, initially not really having an interest in baby ponies. Now I'm moving closer and closer to a complete G1 collection. XD
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »
Although I only became a collector in 2013, I've always liked G3 as I had them when I was a kid.
I like G1 since I found three baby ponies in a charity shop.
Not a huge fan of G2, but that might change if I get my hands on some!

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
Although I only became a collector in 2013, I've always liked G3 as I had them when I was a kid.
I like G1 since I found three baby ponies in a charity shop.
Not a huge fan of G2, but that might change if I get my hands on some!

It did for me. I only have about 25 G2s, but their unusual look has been growing on me.

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:00:55 AM »
I grew up with the G1s. I never got into the G2 business because "I outgrew ponies." Though I think it was many years later that I saw the G3s in the stores and wanted to buy them up. Also by that time the G3s were halfway done in production. I blame G1 Medley she got me into collecting ponies again.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:13 AM »
G1 was mostly over by the time I was old enough to want them but were fairly available second hand. My younger cousin, who inherited her older sisters collection, and I played with them all the time. G2 came out when I became a tween. I had gotten quite a few from the first year but only received one from the second year from my same younger cousin. I didn't think much about them being so different from G1 so that never bothered me. However, amid puberty and "growing up" I thought that I was too old for them and gave my G1s and G2s to my cousin to "keep" for me. Then G3 came out as I was getting into high school and, due to nostalgia, I got quite a few of the very first ones from the store. I had also purchased some G1s on eBay for the first time but my recollecting was at a much smaller scale due to saving up for a senior trip to Europe. Finally, fast forward to college and I bought a handful for my dorm and by my junior year had really gotten back into collecting full speed. Of course G4 was announced for release in 2010, and I awaited the day that I could find the first wave in stores. I have collected them from that first year and also signed up here on the Arena even though I had known about it since that small stint in high school since G3 came out; I wasn't quite trusting of the internet back then. So now, I have in my collection at least one pony from every generation even G3.5 and G4.5 though few.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Not having had much money for toys as a kid, I didn't have any ponies then besides a pair of fakies I have since lost. I couldn't even see interesting ponies, never mind get any; they never aired any of the shows here as far as I was aware, and only ever seemed to run ads for the oddball that is Sweet Steps (and maybe some variant of Pinkie Pie, on rare occasions? I remember knowing her name). I was not fond of Sweet Steps, and even less fond of her ad.

Time passed. I eventually got into watching Friendship is Magic. I got some of the toys once the money situation improved. Then I started seeing photos of some of the ponies from previous generations (thanks mostly to tumblr) and decided some of them looked awesome - especially Night Glider. Then I started buying ponies from other gens, starting with my G3 Rainbowberry.

...And now I'm a bit low on shelf space. Every generation aside from G3.5 and the new look G4s is in my collection, and I plan to get ponies from both of those.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:58:37 PM by Kittywhiskers »
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
I never got into G2. I got into G3 because I was obsessed with the novelty of being able to buy a MLP in the store again. IIRC my first reaction to the G3 prototype unveiling was that they looked like anime alien ponies. But that didn't stop me and I soon fell in love. G4s are coming. Mostly because they didn't go away. Haha. I'm starting to gain an appreciate for them.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »

When you start collecting MLP in 1983 it's not hard to fall into what comes after.

Don't think that really count as getting into other genes. It's more like I was in MLP before there were other generations.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline reanna-mator

• MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
I never got into G2. I got into G3 because I was obsessed with the novelty of being able to buy a MLP in the store again. IIRC my first reaction to the G3 prototype unveiling was that they looked like anime alien ponies. But that didn't stop me and I soon fell in love. G4s are coming. Mostly because they didn't go away. Haha. I'm starting to gain an appreciate for them.

I think that "4.5" will probably help, if they keep up the variety. Seeing ponies in new and more animated poses is renewing my interest in G4, and I'm even buying the mane 6 again because the poses are so cute!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
I started with G1 and the others just crept into my life. They'll do that if you're not careful. :lol:

Offline Starfrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
I had G1s throughout my childhood. I never did like the look of G2s ('skinny' ponies were weird for me), but I don't mind them so much now, though I still don't collect them. Luckily for me, G3 came out when my daughter was about 3 (the perfect age to start her out!), so I collected those for 'her'. G4s are sort of hit and miss for me. I like some, like the vinyls and the pearlized, but most of them I can pass on, especially since there are just so many variations on the same ponies over and over.
:cold:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
I started with G1 and the others just crept into my life. They'll do that if you're not careful. :lol:

Same here. They quietly sneak in without you noticing. Then you realize you have over 1000 ponies of all Gens.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »

When you start collecting MLP in 1983 it's not hard to fall into what comes after.

Don't think that really count as getting into other genes. It's more like I was in MLP before there were other generations.

Very concise explanation. You kinda just dabble in everything that comes after.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 08:50:26 PM »
I had G1s throughout my childhood. I never did like the look of G2s ('skinny' ponies were weird for me), but I don't mind them so much now, though I still don't collect them. Luckily for me, G3 came out when my daughter was about 3 (the perfect age to start her out!), so I collected those for 'her'. G4s are sort of hit and miss for me. I like some, like the vinyls and the pearlized, but most of them I can pass on, especially since there are just so many variations on the same ponies over and over.

My daughter fell in love with G3s at that age too. I let her play with mine and one day at either TrU or KB, she reached over and grabbed a pony, looked at her and held her close. She came home with two that day.  ^.^
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal