collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: worth buying novistars MIP?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
worth buying novistars MIP?
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »
hi guys! i was at a local consignment store and i saw a mint in package novi star..um..the green one! i don't know their names but theyre all really cute. i thought about grabbing her but that shop can run kind of expensive, and they usually are mostly toys (but never any ponies >_>) so i might go back for her.

i think i read somewhere that they arent in production anymore? is this true? is it worth buying one mint and leaving her in box? : O
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: worth buying novistars MIP?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:46:52 PM »
There were discontinued but I'm not sure if she's worth picking up. I've come across a few and have decided against it since I don't collect them and I have too many things of my own I didn't want to be buying them just for resale. But I haven't heard too much about people collecting them like crazy so I don't think there's a huge market for them. I'm sure down the road they will increase in value but I don't see any short term value.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
thank you for the advice, violet! i might go pick her up and then debox her, since they are really cute and i kind of want to collect them... if i can get the consignment guy to drop price a little. he assumes anything is a collectors item! i saw a cheerille mcdonalds toy marked for 10$!!! not in this universe, buddy.

wishlist

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
Some Novis were only distributed in small numbers/in a few countries (some just outside the US), and thus are currently priced pretty high on the second hand market. Assuming the green Novi you saw was Alie Lectric, she is not worth that much even MIB, as she is one of the characters who was (and still is) more readily available, and even had more than one release.
If it was Justina Hour, who is also green, she is worth more because she is more rare.

What was the price they were asking for the doll? If the price is decent and you like her, I advise you to go back for her, Novis are cute :) But since their hair is not the best quality and gets frizzy easily, if you have the chance, it's better to buy them MIB.
My only issue with them is that you can't do too much with them as dolls, their articulation (or the lack of it) puts them more into the decoration category. They look cool rebodied onto a Monster High body, but that takes away their "cute little girl"-appearance. I have a few rebodied Novis, but Alie (the original version) is one I am not planning to rebody, as I believe her original size and appearance suits her better.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
I don't really remember much about the doll other than she was green and her legs had like.. Water with glitter in them  :blush:

I think he wanted 15$ or 20$.

wishlist

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 01:57:19 PM »
I have a couple and i plan to get rid of mine.  They were made poorly and their construction frustrated me.  I loved their eyes though.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
I think he wanted 15$ or 20$.
I just wanted to say that this price is too high for Alie, as I do remember her popping up on eBay for/under $10 MIB - but I just checked and currently there's none. And also, that would mean additional shipping. If she is $15 and you can get a little discount, I say go for it if you like her, but I don't think she is worth $20, for instance.
If she is Justina, she's worth this price though.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
I don't think they're worth it, imo. The Novi Stars I've received all have had pretty frustrating quality control problems.

I remember getting a shiny one and it having a big scuff on its face -- so I sold it and got another of the same, which had greasy hair and a crooked eye. It was infuriating.

If Alie were, say, $10-$12, I'd say go for it, but even $15 is pushing it on these dolls.
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
As an avid Novi collector, I would warn you away from buying the more common dolls as investments. Their prices vary, but they haven't risen much from the original retail.

There ARE valuable Novi Stars, but these are generally the later dolls that saw limited or no release in the U.S. (i.e. Vera Tabray, Mimi Merize, and later).

If you just want to buy the doll for yourself, $15 is a decent price. They are super-cute, I agree! X3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal