collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need Help with Sculpted Wings  (Read 581 times)

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Need Help with Sculpted Wings
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:39:29 AM »
So I'm doing a few ponies with sculpted wings for the first time.  I'm using this tutorial: http://eiriel.deviantart.com/art/Wing-Sculpting-Tutorial-59733330

But I'm finding that the cured apoxie sculpt keeps dislodging from the pony's body, so that the wire is the only thing holding the wings on to the ponies. I tried putting apoxie sculpt on the inside on one to try to prevent it, but it only seemed to help for a little while.  Does anyone have a good solution to prevent this or fix it after it's happened?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was really hoping to get to airbrushing these this weekend, but it's starting to look like I'm going to have to start over.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Need Help with Sculpted Wings
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
I'm not much of a sculptor, but I've had a similar experience.

You need to scuff the area that the wings are attached to, it's too smooth to form a bond. I suggest scuffing the area and gluing the wings in place, I'd use an apoxie type glue since it has a filler property.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
Thanks Pkw

I had pondered scoring them before I started, but since it wasn't mentioned in the tutorial, I wasn't sure I needed to. I figured I'd follow the tutorial, why rough up a pony unless you have to, right? Next time I should probably follow my instincts.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:54:57 AM »
You can possibly salvage that one you already did without scuffing by getting something sharp in there to make a few scores (deep scratches) and then using baking soda/superglue cement to rejoin everything.

Baking soda and superglue instantly fuse, and you need thinnest grade of superglue so use Krazy glue or other type that says "thin" so it'll soak into the baking soda before hardening. Experiment on some junk pieces first to get the hang of it...it'll do some things nothing else can.  Place superglue on one side, dust baking soda on the other and join all at once and hold for half a minute. You can add more glue around the joint then dust with more soda and even repeat that to get more contact area.  Its completely not flexible though so make sure there is adequate anchoring on the flexible pony so it will be stable.

(Haven't used it in this exact case so it's just a suggestion, not proven here)

Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal