collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Working full time and doing charity work  (Read 769 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Working full time and doing charity work
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
Are there any other singletons out there who work full time? What do you do with your non-work time?  Does anyone manage to do some charity work on top of full time work and if so what do you do?  I have what I think is a good idea for some local charity work but I think I might be overstretched on top of full-time work.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Working full time and doing charity work
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
Try a couple things and see. What is it you want to volunteer for? Some things require very minimal time commitment, or some let you choose a volunteer schedule that works for you. If you're too tired in the evenings, what about places you could help out at on weekends? Sporting and political events are always taking volunteers, Toys for Tots starts accepting signups months before the holiday giving season ramps up, and pet rescues for adoption days might be good things to explore. Also Habitat for Humanity. What are things you enjoy doing?

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
I work full time and volunteer with my vet's office/animal rescue.  They know I work full time so the things I do are all after work or on weekends, like helping with our fundraisers or adoption events, transporting animals, or fostering kittens.  Plus the clinic & rescue can always use tidying or help with kennel cleanout.  And one time I got to help do x-rays when Doc was shorthanded, which was awesome. 

My poor cats are so used to me dumping new babies in with them they're just like, "Oh neat, we haven't had calico in a while."

Offline beajjai033

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • "It will all be worth it in the end."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:22 AM »
I wish I could volunteer at a rescue like you guys :huh:
It's quite far from where I live.

I work on weekdays (at least 50 hours) and on weekends I am kind of a homebody. I may be getting old :lookround:

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »
I did quite a lot of volunteering in museums, I really liked it.  I was thinking of setting up my own project :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
If you're into politics, you could volunteer in your local party. They're usually looking for volunteers, and you can make a real difference to the community and meet lots of people who live in the same area. If you don't have a lot of time, you can simply volunteer every now and then. They won't ask you to do more than you're comfortable with.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »
Ummmm does it count if your full time job IS charity work?  LOL
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:55:49 AM »
Ummmm does it count if your full time job IS charity work?  LOL

That's cool! I used to work in charities full time but the money is drying up and so what I'm doing now is more commercial.  It would be good to find a balance, it's good to do something for people as well.

I think my curiosity is going to end in a feasibility study for this new project and I'll see how it goes :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal