collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponymania Brushables: Removing Extra Symbols  (Read 1180 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Ponymania Brushables: Removing Extra Symbols
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »
I recently purchased a set of the Friendship Blossom Ponymania ponies and I want to get rid of most of the symbols on their legs and faces since I find them gaudy. Has anyone done this? I am most concerned with accidentally removing eye and regular symbol paint. Some of them have really ridiculous "eye shadow " that is right up to the eye itself. Any advice on how to do this without ruining them? I was assuming acetone would work best to remove paint? Help me out!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Re: Ponymania Brushables: Removing Extra Symbols
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
I used acetone on mine and it worked really well. BUT you are correct that you have to be crazy careful around the eyes. I damaged an eyelash on mine, and I was being super super careful. The acetone bled a tiny bit. I have heard of others using a fine tipped toothpick.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
I removed the Gaudy paint on my roseluck and she looks great! I also take off the cheek symbol on all my eqg girls. I use a qtip to start and then for fine detail areas I have a very very fine paintbrush.

wishlist

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
I have thought of both the fine paintbrush and toothpick but am so worried about ruining the eyes! Maybe will help with my confidence to do other body parts first. First time of removing anything on a pony for me.

"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »
I did a set of those.  The light green pony (whose name escapes me at the moment) ended up with stains where the paint was on her wings.  I have another set that I bought for potential customs but I haven't removed the paint from those yet to see if it was just that pony or if it's all the ponies in that light green color that will have that problem.  So you might have to try sun fading her a bit to get her completely "clean".

But, as others have said, it's kind of tricky to get the marks around their eyes without ruining the eye paint.  I may have to do touch up paint on some of mine if I can't do the second set any better than I did the first set.  I may try using a stationary magnifying glass when I do the second set to see if that helps. 

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
I did a set of those.  The light green pony (whose name escapes me at the moment) ended up with stains where the paint was on her wings.  I have another set that I bought for potential customs but I haven't removed the paint from those yet to see if it was just that pony or if it's all the ponies in that light green color that will have that problem.  So you might have to try sun fading her a bit to get her completely "clean".

But, as others have said, it's kind of tricky to get the marks around their eyes without ruining the eye paint.  I may have to do touch up paint on some of mine if I can't do the second set any better than I did the first set.  I may try using a stationary magnifying glass when I do the second set to see if that helps. 

Heilia I think? I have never sunfaded before and haven't quite grasped the concept.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »
Here's an old thread about this :) maybe that'd be helpful. They look so much better without all those extra symbols..

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
Here's an old thread about this :) maybe that'd be helpful. They look so much better without all those extra symbols..

It's a bummer most of the pictures don't work on that thread anymore.  I wanted to see what other people did!

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
I agree that acetone or even nail polish remover may work. I would wrap a small amount of a qtip cotton on a tooth pic and use that for the detail heavy areas :)

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
Way better! I can't believe that I didn't think of this before; I just passed on those brushables even though they were new characters because that graffiti turned me way off. I didn't get Maude either cause of it! Now of course I wish I had!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 11:57:12 PM »
I haven't removed the extra symbols on my set yet since they are mib in storage still but I found a FS Daring Do at the thrift store and I already have 2 of her so I decided she would be my test subject. I've done lots of symbol removal for customs but was nervous about messing up her eyes. I use pure acetone, nail polish remover doesn't work as well. I put some on a cotton ball and gently press it down on the spot to be removed for about 5 seconds and then swipe it off and it usually removes the entire spot cleanly. If there's any left I use a new clean cotton ball with acetone because the one with the paint on it will smear if you rub it around. For the detailed spots next to her symbol or eyes I found some pointed Q-tips for doing make up. I find the point makes it much easier to get close to the eye. As I run the Q-tip across I twirl it slowly so that the clean edges of it are against the pony and I'm not smearing paint around. Also for the eyes, hold the pony up side down so if there's any drips it won't drip on their eye. Hope that helps! I start with the easier spots and do the detail last.

And she looks a million times better now

There's maybe the tiniest bit of pink still around the top of her eye but I wasn't willing to keep going at it because it seems to be under the black so the closer I go, the black comes off first and reveals more pink

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:48 AM »
She looks beautiful, violet!! I imagine that they stamp the decorations first and then stamp the eyes over it, that's why the pink around the edges is so impossible. But you really can't tell from afar! Totally love her clean fresh look : )

wishlist

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
Yes, the color under the eye is also an issue for Rose Luck and I think Lotus Blossom has it as well so be careful when working on those two.

Offline nessa16

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
Yes, the color under the eye is also an issue for Rose Luck and I think Lotus Blossom has it as well so be careful when working on those two.

Good to know! Well done on DD!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
Thanks everyone! I agree they look so much better without all the decals.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal