collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What new things are people learning about Collecting Ponies?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: What new things did you learn about Collecting Ponies?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
Never replace and metal bits on nirvana ponies in your possession even if you always replace the washers of normal ponies with twist ties to prevent rust issues. It angers the pony gods and effects potential resale.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
When I first started collecting in '98 the biggest discovery for me was Nirvanas and country specific ponies. I've been obsessed with UK and Euro ponies ever since and always loved Nirvanas too. I can't think of any new things I've learned more recently.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Echoing a big discovery was Nirvana ponies. I was blown away that they made ponies after 1991 in other countries. Even more so I was surprised G2 lived on for so long outside the US. :D

It maybe also sound silly but it wasn't until I started collecting that I realized that they made ponies out of all the characters on the VHS tapes since I was so young and never saw any of those ponies.
~Foxtale~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
This shouldn't be a past tense question, because I'm pretty sure we're all still learning. Even if we know a lot about a generation we know best, it doesn't mean there aren't still ponies we haven't seen from other generations or other concepts we don't yet know about.

I have a few things though, from different points, both as a childhood collector, a teen collector and an adult collector.

As a child, I learned the following lessons:
Washing curly pony hair and grooming it means no more curly.
Baby Sea Ponies really are not designed to go underwater unless you want mould.
Ponies with wings do not actually fly, no matter how hard you throw them.
The best way to get a sunshine pony's hair to change colour when you can't go in the garden because Dad is working out there is to dangle them out of the window on a shoelace.
Dance and Prance Ponies and Brush and Grow Ponies are not compatible.
Baby Brother Bright Bouquet's mouth is not meant to open properly, trying to make it open further with a paperclip is only going to end in tragedy.
Putting pencil shavings in brush and grow hair and then brushing them out makes the hair shine more (absolutely rubbish but I totally believed it as a kid)
Boys are scared of unicorn ponies if chased at hornpoint around the playground.
Shady's hair does not glow in the dark (although I actually was convinced it did until I got a glowing magic pony and realised that it probably didn't)

As a teenage collector coming online in 1997 (I was 15) I learned the following:

Firefly existed. So did Medley. So did all the other ponies from childhood stories I had begun to give up on.
Minty is actually green and not purple like the Fact File says.
Italian ponies exist and have blue eyes.
Carboot sales are awesome.
Half the ponies I grew up with didn't exist to people on the other side of the world.
So Soft Ponies are not plush.
The ponies on the inserts for 1987 wearing Pretty Ups/Ponywear were not made up -Quackers, Angel,  Twilight, etc did exist.
American names for ponies often repeat and thus lack imagination.

In order to help the online community I did a lot of investigation into what I grew up with. Some of the things that came out of that were as follows:

-UK Baby Sea Ponies have different poses and so does Confetti
- Twisty Tail had a different pose here too.
-Starlight Babies are not the same as Sparkle Babies.
-Italian Ponies existed in Europe but not in the UK.
-SeaSpray and High Tide were and are not the same pony. But Wavebreaker and Wavedancer are.
-Plush Honeycomb exists.

As an adult collector, I think since having my site I've learned a lot of things and have been taught a lot of things by other collectors. For example, I learned from Sel and Chrissytree that the Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies were sold in the UK. I learned from Lady G that Princess Amethyst here mostly had a purple hat, not the one she was always drawn with.

The biggest thing I've discovered over the years is that Hasbro Uk really made absolutely no sense with a lot of its release decisions and Hasbro in various parts of Europe were not a whole lot better. For that reason there are at least six versions of Baby Mischief, two versions of Sweet Clover, Tutti Frutti, Rosette etc and a lot of variation that really has no logical explanation.

Also that no matter how much you repeat that same information about stuff in the UK and/or Europe, it gets widely ignored and you or other people ultimately end up repeating it again and again, which gets very frustrating. Although people don't repeat most of the original myths about ponies in the UK, there is still an overt tendency to assume or believe something must be a 'UK variation' without doing the proper research to prove it, and that still drives me nuts. Twenty years on and I still have to tell people that white Tootsie wasn't sold in the UK, because some online ID sites still say she was.

Also, if you name a pony something, and everyone sees that pony on your site, that name suddenly becomes the pony's name. Bobbie came from our pony originally, if I had known that would happen I would have given her a much cooler name. But the name has taken on a life of its own - it's become Bobbi, Bobby, Bobbie and it now has also been applied to all kinds of other similar variations. Even though the name Bobbie only actually applied to the original pink haired no symbol version. The others are not Bobbie, but they get called it nonetheless.

In terms of other generations, I've seen a lot of ponies from G3 especially that I don't remember from when I was buying them. I also have learned a lot about G4, especially things like Holly Dash being hard to find and Starswirl as well (both of which I bought by fluke without knowing, so that made me kind of happy!)

Overall, though, I think we're all still learning stuff. :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:55:05 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: What new things are learning about Collecting Ponies?
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
This shouldn't be a past tense question, because I'm pretty sure we're all still learning. Even if we know a lot about a generation we know best, it doesn't mean there aren't still ponies we haven't seen from other generations or other concepts we don't yet know about.

I have a few things though, from different points, both as a childhood collector, a teen collector and an adult collector.

The best way to get a sunshine pony's hair to change colour when you can't go in the garden because Dad is working out there is to dangle them out of the window on a shoelace.
Baby Brother Bright Bouquet's mouth is not meant to open properly, trying to make it open further with a paperclip is only going to end in tragedy.
Putting pencil shavings in brush and grow hair and then brushing them out makes the hair shine more (absolutely rubbish but I totally believed it as a kid)
Shady's hair does not glow in the dark (although I actually was convinced it did until I got a glowing magic pony and realised that it probably didn't)

As a teenage collector coming online in 1997 (I was 15) I learned the following:

Firefly existed. So did Medley. So did all the other ponies from childhood stories I had begun to give up on.
Half the ponies I grew up with didn't exist to people on the other side of the world.
The ponies on the inserts for 1987 wearing Pretty Ups/Ponywear were not made up -Quackers, Angel,  Twilight, etc did exist.

In order to help the online community I did a lot of investigation into what I grew up with. Some of the things that came out of that were as follows:

-SeaSpray and High Tide were and are not the same pony. But Wavebreaker and Wavedancer are.
-Plush Honeycomb exists.

As an adult collector, I think since having my site I've learned a lot of things and have been taught a lot of things by other collectors. For example, I learned from Sel and Chrissytree that the Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies were sold in the UK. I learned from Lady G that Princess Amethyst here mostly had a purple hat, not the one she was always drawn with.

The biggest thing I've discovered over the years is that Hasbro Uk really made absolutely no sense with a lot of its release decisions and Hasbro in various parts of Europe were not a whole lot better. For that reason there are at least six versions of Baby Mischief, two versions of Sweet Clover, Tutti Frutti, Rosette etc and a lot of variation that really has no logical explanation.

Also that no matter how much you repeat that same information about stuff in the UK and/or Europe, it gets widely ignored and you or other people ultimately end up repeating it again and again, which gets very frustrating. Although people don't repeat most of the original myths about ponies in the UK, there is still an overt tendency to assume or believe something must be a 'UK variation' without doing the proper research to prove it, and that still drives me nuts. Twenty years on and I still have to tell people that white Tootsie wasn't sold in the UK, because some online ID sites still say she was.

Also, if you name a pony something, and everyone sees that pony on your site, that name suddenly becomes the pony's name. Bobbie came from our pony originally, if I had known that would happen I would have given her a much cooler name. But the name has taken on a life of its own - it's become Bobbi, Bobby, Bobbie and it now has also been applied to all kinds of other similar variations. Even though the name Bobbie only actually applied to the original pink haired no symbol version. The others are not Bobbie, but they get called it nonetheless.

In terms of other generations, I've seen a lot of ponies from G3 especially that I don't remember from when I was buying them. I also have learned a lot about G4, especially things like Holly Dash being hard to find and Starswirl as well (both of which I bought by fluke without knowing, so that made me kind of happy!)

That is many new things that are exciting to learn. As for past tense I changed the title to reflex this better.

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What new things are people learning about Collecting Ponies?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
The saddest thing I learned about ponies is that G4 Neon Rainbow Power hair bleeds colors into the body :(
And the happiest thing I learned is that G1 and G2 existed! Growing with G3 and G4 made me think ponies were great discoveries of my age like microwaves and washing machines.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
That there were so many ponies that I never knew about (specifically nirvanas).

And... rubberband rot. T_T

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
im learning new things every day. i always think i have the g1 roster down but then i turn around and by god theres another pony ive never seen before in my entire life! even though theyve been discontinued for 20 years, its like therye still being released! im always learning about pony merch and pony accessories.. theres so much i dont know. of course, nirvanas are a big "had no clue" about. I used to really really not like applejack but after seeing the columbian and french variants i think i need one x_x she looks sooooo beautiful when not orange! i had no clue she came in other colors! its a learning experience.

wishlist

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »
I learned to avoid harsh chemicals when cleaning ponies! Might not skrew stuff up now, but we don't know what it could do tp the plastic down the line!
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »
I learned to only ever use plain white kitchen roll/paper towels when cleaning ponies, especially if using nail varnish remover. Ended up removing a stubborn mark on a Italian G1 Windy and giving her a new yellow one as the dye leaked out of the piece of kitchen roll. (Thankfully the yellow mark wasn't as bad as what I removed!)
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »
I have a lead for a a new way of removing pony cancer that doesn't involve soaking the pony in hydrogen peroxide out in the sun (ergo avoiding all the side effects).  It's just a lead right now so nothing to report yet.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »

-Plush Honeycomb exists.

I laughed so hard at the mental image of you trying to get ponies to fly and little you charging at boys with colorful unicorns! X'D
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
A weird thing I learned and still have to remind myself of now: So Softs are no more water permeable than any normal pony. Underneath the flocking, they're still plastic! But for some reason I still think that the ponies are going to fill up with water when I wash them... Can't wrap my head around it.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
I learned that there will always be a Minty I need. Haha! I originally just wanted one, and then realized there are a lot of different poses, then I realized there are many variants, then I kinda wanted each MIB in addition to out of box, then I noticed that the different fadings of pink hair felt worthy of adding more to my collection, and now I want all of the merch I spot. Oh, it is just never ending with ponies.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
A weird thing I learned and still have to remind myself of now: So Softs are no more water permeable than any normal pony. Underneath the flocking, they're still plastic! But for some reason I still think that the ponies are going to fill up with water when I wash them... Can't wrap my head around it.
However, maybe you may confuse them with seaponies? I know mine fill up with water. Although I have sea ponies on my mind or something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal