collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What new things are people learning about Collecting Ponies?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
What new things are people learning about Collecting Ponies?
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »
There was so much information when I first started and it was hard at first. I had some interesting learning experiences like boiling the wrong group of ponies with another batch and boom yellow weird ponies. Do not boil ponies with chartreuse hair. ><: Be careful of using exact-o knifes. Plastic can slice palms. Yes that happened to me.. ><: Most of what I have learned are from tutorials (great pony persons there.) Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:06:58 PM by SkyCakes »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What new things did you learn about Collecting Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:54 AM »
I learned the hard way about ponies with fading pink hair. I had some on display and their hair faded.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:26 AM »
I learned the hard way not to use oxiclean on princess ponies.  It takes the metallic coating off their symbols.

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:04:35 AM »
I learned that Cherry Treats can't be sunfaded... And that the G1collecting world was bigger then I ever thought, way bigger than my bank account.

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »
Even if your ponies are in a protective plastic bin, and they are turned AWAY from the windows... light will manage to get in the corner of the box and discolor the ponies near the outside edge. >.< (A very specific situation to me, but URGH it was so frustrating opening up my bin and finding yellowed G3s!!! Who knew G3s could yellow?!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Even if your ponies are in a protective plastic bin, and they are turned AWAY from the windows... light will manage to get in the corner of the box and discolor the ponies near the outside edge. >.< (A very specific situation to me, but URGH it was so frustrating opening up my bin and finding yellowed G3s!!! Who knew G3s could yellow?!)

Which sun deity did you anger?  :P

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
The wonderful world of nirvana ponies, I have a few foreign ones now.  Also so many gen one that I never knew existed. I also discovered this fantastic place, and all of you.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 04:04:08 PM »
Oxyclean can fade ponies, dry out their hair badly, and twinkle eyes will loose their coating.... and symbol repaints should have a layer of sealer or white paint *under* them to prevent "halos" onlighter colored ponies.

My poor childhood Mimic taught me all of these things, but at least she was not in good shape to start with, having been played with outside constantly in the california sun!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:35:16 AM »
I learned that if you offer somebody $42 for Rapunzel you will get laughed at. LOL. That was years ago. IIRC I sweetened the deal by offering $60 for both Rapunzel and Hollywood.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
How to re tail. That G2 ponies existed. That lots of sets and country exclusives existed when I got online.  How to repink. How to remove rust-splosions.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
That there was something before G4 and that it wasn't just some stupid ugly girly thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:11:09 AM by Jorgito93 »

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
I learned that:

- purple ponies should not be sunfaded, or else it will leave blue marks on them because the red part of their body dye fades.
- ponies with pink hair should not be boiled or else it will fade the pink badly (this happened to me with a Macau Snuzzledrop but happily, her new hair colour suits her quite well and I kept her as a variant
- you should never try to glue in rerooted hair with super glue (it will go through the holes to the outside and harden the hair line (that was a very early one and happened to just a Bow Tie, gladly)
- Sweetheart Sisters should be stored or sent with their earring between her ears, not to their side or else it will break (learned this by a seller who sent a pony to me)
- Ponies should NEVER be put onto a bag marked with sharpie like some people do mark bags with ponies inside (also learned by a seller who ruined my first UK Baby Candy this way, which was minty therwise. I didn't know about sunfading back then, could perhaps have saved the pony which I gave to a friend instead as it made me so sad to look at the poor pony.
- as said above, I learned about the wonders which can be done with sunfading on blue, yellow, orange and some white ponies.

I'm sure there is more but the rest won't come to my mind right now. :)

Offline DappledHazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
I learned that ponies have washers in their tails and that they can rust.. I was unaware of this when I was younger so some of my ponies have been in water multiple times.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
I learned that cancer shows up under a blacklight. Still have about four pictures of blacklight ponies from a few years ago when I was experimenting with it.

Also learned after setting Quackers in the window for a year, you can't really sunfade cancer out. :(

I learned how to best clean So Soft fuzz- or at least IMO. Baby toothbrush and a gentle shampoo, scrub gently under cold water and rinse well.

Learned to never wrap ponies (or collectibles in general) in anything like newspaper, colored paper, etc, or the ink WILL transfer.

Learned how hard rehairs are... Years ago I tried to rehair a G3 and gave up, lol. I just barely finished my first MH rehair last week.

Learned that Nirvanas were a thing! I didn't realize before I started collecting that toys were made anywhere other than HK or China, so learning that ponies were made worldwide and that many of them are now super rare was a neat discovery. (I used to dream about finding a Nirvana at a thrift shop, lol.)

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 05:22:30 PM »
I learned that sweet little colorful plastic ponies are a gateway drug to a lot of other collecting hobbies.
I also learned that there are so many more ponies than I'd realized in my younger days. (why oh why did there have to be location exclusive ponies)

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal