collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407220 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2205 on: March 29, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »
If they are bronies who insist on using fan names not Hasbro names for certain ponies have absolutely no right to tell anyone else what to call their ponies. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the brony names or fan names for any ponies that Hasbro released under different names - until you start telling someone else in the same breath they're 'not allowed' to rename a pony because it's 'not canon'.

I don't write pony stories any more, haven't for years, but I feel like AU and so on...hrm. For me AU is a long way from the original storyline. Like when you take characters and put them into an entirely different universe. I know with one ff series I wrote a long time ago, it was a series with multiple continuities...so I took one as the basis and inserted bits from all of the others into the stories to create one big canon universe. That was technically 'AU' because it straddled canons - just like I guess crossing G1/G4 would be considered AU.

But I can understand why people don't want to use those terms with MLP, because you know, MLP has never had 'canon' in the same way as you expect a book or film or tv series to have. It's a new concept in G4 that never existed prior to that. So I can understand why people use those same terms - but also why some people feel they shouldn't have to, because MLP has always been a lot more liberal.

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

I was talking about stuff like,  when they argue about Tales being G2 when its G1. Or when they say that FIM is the first girl show to have adventure, which is obviously bull.

Well that's what the original creator of FIM had said and since most bronies didn't have first hand knowledge they took her at her word. And at the time children's TV had mostly deteriorated thanks to the Children's Television Act requiring networks to air a certain amount of "educational" television and for some reason (sexism yay) it was often "girl's" cartoons that were used to fill that niche. Since after all stereotypically girls are supposed to be all about being social and teaching social values such as friendship is totally educational. It's also why early FIM had those shoehorned in "Friendship Lessons".
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2206 on: March 29, 2021, 01:10:02 PM »
It's not really a defence to say they couldn't be bothered to find out actual information about MLP before they barged into it. It's hard to have respect for people who just believe what someone else tells them without questioning it or trying to check it out for themselves. Old and cranky Taffeta coming to the fore now, but that's how fake news spreads - by people not asking their own questions and relying on someone else to pour information into their brains.

Probably also the reason why people can no longer even type two words into google to find out information on something because it's 'too much effort' to leave their social media feeds and memes for more than ten seconds at a time.

/cranky old person off.

Less said about Faust and her misconception of G1 the better.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 29, 2021, 01:13:22 PM »
If they are bronies who insist on using fan names not Hasbro names for certain ponies have absolutely no right to tell anyone else what to call their ponies. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the brony names or fan names for any ponies that Hasbro released under different names - until you start telling someone else in the same breath they're 'not allowed' to rename a pony because it's 'not canon'.

I don't write pony stories any more, haven't for years, but I feel like AU and so on...hrm. For me AU is a long way from the original storyline. Like when you take characters and put them into an entirely different universe. I know with one ff series I wrote a long time ago, it was a series with multiple continuities...so I took one as the basis and inserted bits from all of the others into the stories to create one big canon universe. That was technically 'AU' because it straddled canons - just like I guess crossing G1/G4 would be considered AU.

But I can understand why people don't want to use those terms with MLP, because you know, MLP has never had 'canon' in the same way as you expect a book or film or tv series to have. It's a new concept in G4 that never existed prior to that. So I can understand why people use those same terms - but also why some people feel they shouldn't have to, because MLP has always been a lot more liberal.

I hope that made sense.

It did make sense.

I was talking about stuff like,  when they argue about Tales being G2 when its G1. Or when they say that FIM is the first girl show to have adventure, which is obviously bull.

Well that's what the original creator of FIM had said and since most bronies didn't have first hand knowledge they took her at her word. And at the time children's TV had mostly deteriorated thanks to the Children's Television Act requiring networks to air a certain amount of "educational" television and for some reason (sexism yay) it was often "girl's" cartoons that were used to fill that niche. Since after all stereotypically girls are supposed to be all about being social and teaching social values such as friendship is totally educational. It's also why early FIM had those shoehorned in "Friendship Lessons".

And it still wasn't true from the late 90s all the way up to the current 2000s. There have been adventuresome  girl's cartoons for years. Whether it's She-Ra, Jem, Sailor Moon, Power Puff Girls, Rainbowbrite,  Maggie and the Ferocious Beast, Kim Possible, or Legend of Korra.

There have likewise been plenty of kick-butt girls in action cartoons too. Avatar the Last Airbender, Captain Planet, Gargoyles,  Dino-saucers, every  comic cartoon, Transformers, and so many others I can't think of, or don't know about.

So either way, its a steaming load.

I should also add that there's nothing wrong with encouraging caring and social interpersonal relationships. That's pretty important stuff for us to start learning as early as possible, since we are an inter-social species.

In fact,  humanity could do with more of that, because our past and present shows that we've been pretty consistently terrible to each other.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:08:29 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2208 on: March 29, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »
*watches the G1 movie* *brony voice* Huh? Where's Firefly and Twilight and Sparkler and Applejack? I thought they were the main characters of G1?

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:34 PM »
*watches the G1 movie* *brony voice* Huh? Where's Firefly and Twilight and Sparkler and Applejack? I thought they were the main characters of G1?
:lmao:

Oh no it's too real  XD
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 30, 2021, 03:38:23 PM »
Bronies (of course not all of them) just tick me off! The things they say that aren’t true but are fact to them, like Pony Tales is g2! (Honestly the ones who hate other generations but think they know better about it than ones who grew up with it?)
What I really don’t understand is that there are ones out there who hate women but love a show that empowers girls that’s made by a woman?
Do they have any idea how hypocritical they are!?

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 30, 2021, 05:04:30 PM »
What I really don’t understand is that there are ones out there who hate women but love a show that empowers girls that’s made by a woman?

I remember bronies whining that feminist propaganda is ruining FiM.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 04, 2021, 11:50:33 AM »
(Sorry for the late reply! Had computer troubles this week so I'm still catching up on threads)

Yeah pretty much - it's not the terms I have a problem with, they just... I dunno, feel weird when used for MLP, to me. Like, for MLP in general, not something specifically based on one of the TV shows, if that makes sense. I guess it's really just me being nitpicky over semantics, of course we can still do whatever we want, it's not like there's suddenly a law saying we can't, but, idk, it just feels like something changed a bit when G4 came into place.

Aw, how I miss it, too :(

But it is because your own version is "play", and we cannot "play", fanfic is SERIOUS and ACTUAL WRITING *pouts*

I renamed half of my g4, I want to not have to explain :'(

Yesss this is a great way of explaining it!! this is EXACTLY what I was trying to get across, thank you :D

Probably also the reason why people can no longer even type two words into google to find out information on something because it's 'too much effort' to leave their social media feeds and memes for more than ten seconds at a time.

Ooooh, don't even get me started on that >_< The *amount* of times I've had to explain the same thing, over and over, on another community I'm in, just because people on there are too dang lazy to run a quick search, or even SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE to see if anyone else has made the exact same thread the other day... ahh, like I said, don't get me started or I'll go off on an off-topic rant :P

:silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2213 on: April 05, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »
@Carrehz - I relate on the extra thread spam. Noticed that in another forum/site I post on...and also people complaining they don't know how to do stuff even though it was explained in a news post - apparently expecting members to read words is too much of an imposition and the mods should be able to telepathically insert information into people's brains or something. Gah. Old person cranky rant end.

I think something did change with G4. A lot of things did, but in a way G4 coincided with the 'new' fanfic generation, if that makes sense. I mean, since I started writing fanfic for various anime etc in...what, 2006? 2007? All kinds of new genres/terms/concepts/tropes/styles/etc have sprung up, with the internet growing and having different kinds of way to express stuff. And I feel like G4 jumped in on the back of that, both generationally and in terms of tech timing. I don't suppose it's just about G4 but the whole context of what fanfic is becoming...?

And G4 did give MLP a 'canon', but it doesn't mean that pre-G4 will ever be governed by those rules unless someone writing wants to use a particular setting. I remember when I was 16 or 17 I had this whole long concept about the evolution of ponyland, with how different species and characters came about and it was loosely inspired by the Golden Horseshoes concept with Mimic descended from an ancient unicorn...also the idea of MLP Tales being set in the future of the G1 animation type world. But it wasn't as though anything I wrote had even the vaguest connection to these actual settings. I have no idea what that would come under now in terms of 'canon', and frankly, I don't care all that much. xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 05, 2021, 01:19:24 PM »
Y-you mean mods don't have the power to telepathically insert stuff into people's heads? I'm shocked I tell you!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 09, 2021, 07:36:33 PM »
Yesss this is a great way of explaining it!! this is EXACTLY what I was trying to get across, thank you :D

You are welcome ^^

My G4 Rainbow Dash was renamed, so my friend went and named hers -not very child-friendly, but, like, Rainbow Booze XD
===

On-topic: instead of doing modern doodads, MLP should do like that old comic and have prehistory/varying eras of pony. If you go too modern, you ruin the fun immediately - you gotta be "older". Someday, shows achieved that by production time lenght, but now? You see a meme, you see it in show next week T_T They gotta prohibit use of memes newer than Nyan Cat.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 10, 2021, 12:41:33 AM »
What I miss is people being... allowed? to make up their OWN personalities for ponies. Like, it used to be that if you wanted to write a story where maybe one pony uses her cartoon personality, but another is more based on her backcard, or UK comic, or whatever, or just made up from wholecloth... no one would bat an eye. But nowadays, especially with G4/FiM, it's all "alternate universe" this and "headcanon" that, you know? I dunno if this makes sense, or if I'm wording it right, but I miss when it was just an understood thing, that everyone had their own idea/version of Ponyland.

Aw, how I miss it, too :(

But it is because your own version is "play", and we cannot "play", fanfic is SERIOUS and ACTUAL WRITING *pouts*

I renamed half of my g4, I want to not have to explain :'(

Okay this is slightly off-topic to reference a post made like a week ago, BUT... I wonder how kids play with the ponies now! Is someone out there renaming Twilight Sparkle "Stars"? Rainbow Dash becomes "Cloud" or "Rainbow"? I mean, of course many kids will reenact the episodes they see, but there's many more kids who won't really see the show, or receive the toys secondhand, and create their own worlds... I can't wait to see the threads from modern kids, when they grow up and remember the fun playtime they had with "Balloons" and "Diamond"! :heart:

Oh uh unpopular opinions?! I've voiced so many, I'm not sure I have any left! :P
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline MOTOSTOKES

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:18 AM »
a lot of people (bronies) seem to hate the clipart on toy boxes and posters and such because it isn't "show accurate", I actually love it though!! it sorta reminds me of lisa franks aesthetic and the like. I also ADORE red ponies like baby countdown or g3 applejack, theyre beautiful imo

Offline Midnight Dream

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 12, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
My opinion might not be as unpopular, but here I go!

I personally don't hate G4 (I don't hate any of the generations, I think they all have some good parts and bad.), but I'm just tired of it. G4 has been getting way to much attention!

G4 toys are my least favorite. They are just to small and boring. Look how much variety there was in previous generations, different poses and stuff, and now it's just (mostly) the same six characters over and over again.

When it comes to FIM, I don't think it's bad on it's own, I would actually consider it one of the best kid shows of 2010's.
Even though when I look back at it has some dumb episodes and the friendship lessons and befriending everyone philosophy is kinda annoying, I still think that overall it's an okey series
 My problem with FIM is that I just don't like it as MLP series. I always liked how My Little Pony was whimsical fantasy series where everything could happen. There could be magic, adventures, new places and beings they would meet. There was this sense of wonder. It was this fantasy dream world that was pretty much detached from reality, and didn't needed to be particulary realistic. Now look at FIM, It basically anachronistic ponified earth. Ponified real world places, history and people, popculture references, over the top jokes - it just lacks the charm that the other generations had.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:13:58 AM by Midnight Dream »

signature by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 12, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »
I like to think that Earth Ponies and Pegasis Ponies are just as magical as Unicorns, just in different ways.  I also view them as kind of like fairies, completely outside of time and anything resembling reality.  They never grow old and never die and they really have no idea how old they are.  They are not humans in pony form and have the innocence and kindness of real ponies.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal