collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 406831 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2145 on: November 30, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
I don't know why I remember Tales as being made to market in Europe, but I remember thinking that when I caught a part of it way back when.

Maybe because the characters that were made into toys were only sold in Europe?  :shrug:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 30, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
I don't know why I remember Tales as being made to market in Europe, but I remember thinking that when I caught a part of it way back when.

Maybe because the characters that were made into toys were only sold in Europe?  :shrug:
I wouldn't have known about the toys. No internet back then.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2147 on: November 30, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »

I wouldn't have known about the toys. No internet back then.

I always think this is one of the fun discussion points of G1.
I first watched Tales when I was 13. That would've been..1995? It aired on a cable channel and my sister's friend taped it and loaned us the tapes one by one.

I always felt a disconnect with the older episodes because of the different names/existence of ponies that weren't in the UK. But I never felt it with Tales, because I had Bright Eyes as a kid, the comics also included Tales stories, and the context - with football and such, but also the name Glowing Magic(al) - was all in keeping with what I already knew from the later end of MLP.

Probably why I liked it better at the time. It did feel like it was targeted at us.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 30, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »
Quote from: MJNSEIFER link=topic=385476.msg1836497#msg1836497

date=1606758362
I don't mind "recycled names" - I never really did for a long time, as I get that they're all different ponies, with the same names (even if they reused the name "because it worked before" or whatever, like it was a marketable name), but also because I've tried naming my own ponies, and some of the names I came up with turned out to be the names of canon ponies.

I actually always liked that they reused certain names over the years. I felt it gave a sense of familiarity, like the older ponies hadn't been forgotten. Even back when I first got online in the late '90s/early '00s I thought the collector community made too much of a deal of it.

Even less comprehensible when it's people in the UK who grew up with those other names.

In Sweden we had the UK release for most of our ponies, so we had those names too. I remember one Swedish collector saying something along the lines of "I used to call this pony Sailaway when I was kid, but when I got online I learned her name was actually Hula Hula", completely unaware the pony was released under a different name here. As if "Sailaway" was just something she had dreamt up as a kid. (Very unlikely for a Swedish kid to come up with that name! :lol:)

My unpopular opinion would probably be that even though I grew up with the UK names (the ones I knew anyway), I still tend to prefer the US names for most of the part. XD (But the Tropical Ponies might be the one set I'll make an exception for.)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 09, 2021, 08:06:28 PM »
I know this probably isn't an unpopular opinion but
Spoiler for tiny rant with very very mild nsfw topic
Spoiler
Bronies pretending to be the first male fans to be into MLP is infuriating to me :/
This is coming from someone who really got into MLP from G4 (even though I had some G3's as a kid)
Guys have been into MLP and collecting from the beginning and they managed to not be creepy!
Honestly I'd go as far as to say if G4's characters hadn't been sexualized as much as they have on the internet, most of those "bronies" wouldn't be fans at all! I genuinely think some bronies are only in the fandom for nsfw purposes (some women included!)

I wish I could have known the fandom before G4/Bronies, without the constant gross sexualization of ponies. Maybe I'm just put off from being exposed to really disgusting content at a young age

In short, non-brony guy collectors are super cool and I respect them a whole lot
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:27:28 PM by PrincessKittyDragon »

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: February 14, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but it's one I feel quite strongly about. Much as I love the brushable hair of all the pony gens, I can't abide it in the Petites! I literally will only collect the Petite Ponies with moulded hair. How weird is that?  :blink:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: February 16, 2021, 09:48:45 AM »
Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but it's one I feel quite strongly about. Much as I love the brushable hair of all the pony gens, I can't abide it in the Petites! I literally will only collect the Petite Ponies with moulded hair. How weird is that?  :blink:

I agree brushy hair on the petites is a weird thing...xD. I don't hate it, but it is definitely not the most convenient pony hair to deal with, either in standing up ponies or trying to style it. It's sort of 'what's the point', although I admit it looks pretty on the fancier sets.

I do quite like the mad curls mind you. Hasbro didn't use them enough.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: February 16, 2021, 10:23:37 AM »

I agree brushy hair on the petites is a weird thing...xD. I don't hate it, but it is definitely not the most convenient pony hair to deal with, either in standing up ponies or trying to style it. It's sort of 'what's the point', although I admit it looks pretty on the fancier sets.

Now we need a BnG or PP named, Mad Curls.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: February 16, 2021, 04:08:54 PM »
It drives me crazy about how McDonald's ponies have a brushable mane or tail and then the other plastic.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: February 16, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »
It drives me crazy about how McDonald's ponies have a brushable mane or tail and then the other plastic.

Same. Its the reason I turned my nose up at the g3 ones.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: February 17, 2021, 01:02:41 AM »

Knowing Hasbro's current naming sense, it will probably be Curly Cutie. >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: February 17, 2021, 07:52:18 AM »

Knowing Hasbro's current naming sense, it will probably be Curly Cutie. >.>

Ooh.  >_<

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: February 17, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »

I wonder if there's a way to give spiral curls to the ones without them?

Has there ever even been a McD pony that had both mane and tail hair?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: February 17, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »

I wonder if there's a way to give spiral curls to the ones without them?

Not to my knowledge

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: February 22, 2021, 04:58:33 PM »
Quote from: Wardah link=topic=385476.msg1844064#msg1844064
No, I think, but FAKIES of g3(?) Mcdonald pony I used to see. Very bad plastic, so never did buy any.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal