collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407102 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2020, 06:07:15 AM »
This is basically a personal opinion, but I have never liked Tara Strong. That's all there is to it. I can't really elaborate on why, but pretty much all of her characters get on my nerves.

At first, I thought Pinkie Pie's voice was on the annoying side, but my sister is a FiM fan (but she's NOT a crazy Brony, thank goodness), so I've had to listen to her watch the show at various points in time, and I've gotten used to her voice. Other than that, I can't really elaborate any more than that.

Pinkie's voice is the most annoying for me, but as the years have gone by, the worse Twilight's voice has become. I don't know what happened. I guess people's view on Tara Strong got to me? I always see online how people think she's a bit full of herself, or that she's overrated, or something, I don't know, I don't follow her anywhere or keep up with it. But recently I've noticed how sort of annoying her voice is... maybe to me it sounds kind of whiny and bratty.

I sat down and watched the Care Bears Nutcracker special for the first time during Christmas, and the main girl character, whatever her name was, I didn't think much of her voice at first, but halfway through the movie I noticed a peculiar nasally-ness to it. Could it be...? And it was! She was voiced by Tara Strong, all those years ago! She hasn't changed a bit, for better or for worse!

I don't know much about Tara Strong other than she embraced that "Queen of the Bronies" label :lol:
So I judge her based on her voices alone and "nasal quality" is exactly what I don't quite like and she definitely moved Twilight into that direction. Now Twilight is a nerd so it fits rather well but it's still something I can't listen to for more than an hour, tops.

A lot of voice actors use similar voices for certain character archetypes, it's fine. It's perfectly human, there simply is no way to sound different each time when you have 100+ characters to voice.
What annoys me a bit about Tara Strong is that she is everywhere and often doing the entire female cast of a show. Not bashing her hussle, that is totally on the people who hire her for all of these roles. It's something that isn't done in Germany. You often have one voice for one character. The German M6 don't play double roles and that's why I find it easier to listen to them. If you took away the country slang from AJ she'd sound just like RD but in a lower octave because it's the same voice actress and that's just not my cup of tea. The voice actors are also not getting paid more for doing more roles, afaik.
So whenever I hear double and triple roles I am reminded someone didn't want to hire more people.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: January 09, 2020, 07:23:37 AM »
Never knew she did entire casts, but yeah, I can see why that's a bad thing.

Don't get wrong, I would totally include her in my cast if such an opportunity presented itself (like for when I get real shows on TV), but I wouldn't have her do everything, that's not fair on anyone.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: January 09, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »
Tara Strong can do different voices. There are some things that she was in before FIM where if I hadn't noticed her name in the credits I would have never realized she was the same person that  now voices Twilight. I think her Twilight voice is usually okay. I don't like her Unikitty voice.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #1938 on: January 09, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
I've never heard people say that Tara was full of herself, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - I've heard some people act like she's overrated occasionally (but that's to be expected when you're in everything), so yeah... maybe I'm just always in positive places whenever she's mentioned.

Maybe once and awhile she'll be like that (I'm not really a fan of her myself). One example being when she found out the original PPG voices wouldn't be reused for the reboot (remember seeing her and Buttercup's VA holding "will work" signs up on Twitter). She has done a lot of good for the fandom like standing up to Howard Stern over his comments about bronies, and most importantly the Kiki Havivy fundraiser (which showed the fundraising capabilities of the fandom) https://www.facebook.com/KikiHavivyMemorial

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: January 10, 2020, 03:51:02 AM »
I've never heard people say that Tara was full of herself, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - I've heard some people act like she's overrated occasionally (but that's to be expected when you're in everything), so yeah... maybe I'm just always in positive places whenever she's mentioned.

She has done a lot of good for the fandom like standing up to Howard Stern over his comments about bronies, and most importantly the Kiki Havivy fundraiser (which showed the fundraising capabilities of the fandom) https://www.facebook.com/KikiHavivyMemorial

So this girl's death is good for "showing Brony fundrasising capabilities". Noted.
That Facebook page even says "thanks to the Bronies and Tara she could prolong her life", no word on doctors and her mother is only mentioned as setting up a fundraiser together with Tara.
Yeah, some people would call that "being full of yourself" :P

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: January 10, 2020, 05:23:23 AM »
I mean no disrespect to Kiki, but I don't think the point of the above post was that.  I think the point was that she and the fandom did the funding, not that a girl dying shows that the fandom does funding, if that makes sense (I am typing this in a rush, so I really hope I'm not sounding disrespectful to Kiki.)   admins want it to.

I don't know why people would call that being full of yourself, unless Tara herself set up that FaceBook page - I can only read some of it, because I don't have a FaceBook account, but it looks like someone else set it up.  If I did a page about the Arena, and made at least 90% of it all about you, then that wouldn't make you full of yourself, as you had no control over the article.

Again... I really hope I'm not being disrespectful - I'm usually unsure to join in on conflicts that involve someone who has died, due to this reason - I may delete this.  Sorry if it is disrespectful.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline lonewolf

• Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #1941 on: January 10, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »

So this girl's death is good for "showing Brony fundrasising capabilities". Noted.
That Facebook page even says "thanks to the Bronies and Tara she could prolong her life", no word on doctors and her mother is only mentioned as setting up a fundraiser together with Tara.
Yeah, some people would call that "being full of yourself" :P

So setting up a fundraiser is being full of yourself. Noted.

I don't know why people would call that being full of yourself, unless Tara herself set up that FaceBook page - I can only read some of it, because I don't have a FaceBook account, but it looks like someone else set it up.  If I did a page about the Arena, and made at least 90% of it all about you, then that wouldn't make you full of yourself, as you had no control over the article.

The Facebook page is just a memorial that someone (not Tara) set up for her. Not sure who.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Erin-T-Aardvark

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinsmlpparadise.com
« Reply #1942 on: January 10, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
I sat down and watched the Care Bears Nutcracker special for the first time during Christmas, and the main girl character, whatever her name was, I didn't think much of her voice at first, but halfway through the movie I noticed a peculiar nasally-ness to it. Could it be...? And it was! She was voiced by Tara Strong, all those years ago! She hasn't changed a bit, for better or for worse!

OK, I'll admit, this is like the only thing she did that I liked.
*Formerly Known as Geatorette*

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: January 10, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »
Unpopular opinion: if it does not seem to be (semi) permanent damage, don't refer to it as a stain.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: January 11, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
Unpopular opinion: if it does not seem to be (semi) permanent damage, don't refer to it as a stain.
When I first read this I disagreed strongly but the more I thought about I realized this is true, especially since by Google's definition it means "mark that is not easily removed"

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: January 13, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »
When I first read this I disagreed strongly but the more I thought about I realized this is true, especially since by Google's definition it means "mark that is not easily removed"
:lol: Now if only more people would realize that.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: January 14, 2020, 12:43:14 AM »
unpopular opinion: i LOVE the whizzer pose, its one of my favorites. and for g3 i like the crystal lace pose a lot. theyre fairly similar imo so that’s probably why hah. everyone seems to hate them though 😔

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: January 14, 2020, 03:36:22 AM »
I think the whizzer pose is a cute pose, but I find it slightly confusing. Like, what are they supposed to be doing? Are they about to take off in flight? Are they tip toeing? Except that ponies are basically running around on their toes all the time anyway, lol (hence why I find the sweetstep ponies odd- how can a pony of all animals practice ballet?)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: January 14, 2020, 06:15:18 AM »
unpopular opinion: i LOVE the whizzer pose, its one of my favorites. and for g3 i like the crystal lace pose a lot. theyre fairly similar imo so that’s probably why hah. everyone seems to hate them though 😔

I like the Whizzer pose too. Its not an unpopular pose however.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:28:52 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: January 14, 2020, 02:17:58 PM »

I like the Whizzer pose too. Its not an unpopular pose however.

that surprises me, i’ve only ever seen hate/general dislike for it :0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal