collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404575 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1755 on: October 12, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »
I liked 3.5 I have most of them except for one mom pony.  Gen four started out good but then BAM main six times 100.

Agreed. I like many aspects about G3.5. How they look, the quality, I love how the ponies have different hairstyles, and different heights. It's just a shame it was still all Core 7. If they had tried remaking other G3 ponies in G3.5 molds, or just made more new ponies altogether aside from just the moms, it would have been much better I think. It's just, being Core 7 brings it down hard, by making it less fun to collect due to the smaller number of ponies.

And with G4 yeah, it started out fine, but as time went on the variety became worse and worse. I think if Hasbro really do want to keep having a core cast of ponies like they'd been doing since 2008, they need to find a better balance between core pony releases and other ponies. Other toylines seem to handle this balance perfectly fine, but Hasbro seems to really be struggling with it when it comes to MLP... I'm sure there's a potential good balance somewhere... I hope they can find it for G5 if they really are going to rehash the Mane 6 again.

Which is annoying considering they handle that balance quite well in their other toyline.
They did handle it fine at one point. The early years of g3. We had re-releases of Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Minty and even as we starting getting into the 25th anniversary (very early on) you knew who the main cast was (especially if you watched the movies) but they weren't in your face. I don't even know why there needs to be a main cast. G1 and g3 were fine without it. (And even g2 but I don't know enough about it) And maybe quality has a play in it too, because the 25th's had good quality and different skits that still made me wanna buy them. And even when Minty kept getting re-released she was different every time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:30:21 AM by caseysealia »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1756 on: October 12, 2019, 07:39:10 AM »
They did handle it fine at one point. The early years of g3. We had re-releases of Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Minty and even as we starting getting into the 25th anniversary (very early on) you knew who the main cast was (especially if you watched the movies) but they weren't in your face. I don't even know why there needs to be a main cast. G1 and g3 were fine without it. (And even g2 but I don't know enough about it) And maybe quality has a play in it too, because the 25th's had good quality and different skits that still made me wanna buy them. And even when Minty kept getting re-released she was different every time.

Yeah, that's what makes it really frustrating. They were doing fine with the concept before, but then Core 7 came along and they haven't been able to find that balance again since, even though G4 did move on from being strictly core ponies like Core 7 era G3 was, it's still way too many core/main ponies compared to other ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: October 12, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »
Whatever the quality of the finale, and the later seasons - I don't feel the show is ending "with a whimper not a bang" as at least some people here seem to.  The show did ultimately become a shadow of its former self, but it will always mean a lot to me, and I feel that the fandoms (both this one and the brony one - both of which I feel part of) will continue to keep it alive in memory, conversation and fandom.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: October 12, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
I liked 3.5 I have most of them except for one mom pony.  Gen four started out good but then BAM main six times 100.

Agreed. I like many aspects about G3.5. How they look, the quality, I love how the ponies have different hairstyles, and different heights. It's just a shame it was still all Core 7. If they had tried remaking other G3 ponies in G3.5 molds, or just made more new ponies altogether aside from just the moms, it would have been much better I think. It's just, being Core 7 brings it down hard, by making it less fun to collect due to the smaller number of ponies.

And with G4 yeah, it started out fine, but as time went on the variety became worse and worse. I think if Hasbro really do want to keep having a core cast of ponies like they'd been doing since 2008, they need to find a better balance between core pony releases and other ponies. Other toylines seem to handle this balance perfectly fine, but Hasbro seems to really be struggling with it when it comes to MLP... I'm sure there's a potential good balance somewhere... I hope they can find it for G5 if they really are going to rehash the Mane 6 again.

Which is annoying considering they handle that balance quite well in their other toyline.

Yes I'm quite aware of that being a long time fan. I'm talking about 3.5/4.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1759 on: October 12, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »
G1, G2, G3 and G4 all tried the main cast thing, but to differing degrees. G1 ended before it could become monotonous. G2 worked repeat characters into new styles alongside new characters, albeit the fact it endured in Europe and there are name changes, symbol changes etc means it's harder to pick out. G3 went wild on original characters with a few on repeat until core 7 swept away its soul. I don't have a comment really on what 3.5 did as I don't know much about it, but G4 didn't begin with that bad a mindset. The problem came later, when they did away with the variety and just honed in on mane 6. But a bit problem here was that some of the variety ponies that DID happen had poor distribution or just didn't make it (like Haven Bay, for example).

G4 wasn't ALL m6. But it put too much into it. The core cast idea is not a bad one. It just has to have balance.

Monster High (original generation) is a good example of how core cast can be done well and right, albeit I feel it's easier to do with dolls than with ponies. Of all the pony generations, though, in terms of integrating core cast with wider cast, in my humble and perhaps unpopular opinion...the one that succeeded the most was G2.

Ironically, given that Hasbro US did not really have much involvement in that beyond the start.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: October 17, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
I don't really like ponies who have a different mane color than tail color.  I'm not talking about ponies with a stripe in their mane but ponies who have a pink mane and a purple tail (for example).  It looks off to me.  Why couldn't they just use the same color?

I totally agree with this.  I was just looking at a g3 Pegasus, the one with the starfish, and she has two colors in her mane and a totally different color for her tail.  All the colors go well with each other.  I just really with that she had a third stripe of the tail color in her mane.

This is also why I don’t like how Hasbro does rainbow hair since g3 with the warm colors in the mane and the cool colors in the tail.  It looks off balance to me.  And to add insult to injury, I prefer the cool colors which get the short end of the stick being stuck in the ever decreasing size of the tail.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 18, 2019, 07:03:29 AM »
I've decided that the original My Little Pony Movie is a Halloween movie.  It has witches, goblins, a giant spider, a blob that tries to take over everything, and plants that attack people...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 18, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »
I've decided that the original My Little Pony Movie is a Halloween movie.  It has witches, goblins, a giant spider, a blob that tries to take over everything, and plants that attack people...

Hmm. That's an interesting take and I never thought of it that way. Hasbro missed a chance to have it in autumn.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #1763 on: October 18, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
i do not like the original flutter wings. O.O i am sorry. what is that?  Wingers are perfect. XD All my original flutters get replacement butterfly wings from PKW.
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 19, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »

Yes I'm quite aware of that being a long time fan. I'm talking about 3.5/4.
Yeah. I needed to rant on it, even though it won't change a single darn thing.  :P At least g3.5 had quality. And even though g4 had the balance early on, they totally ditched that concept. It doesn't help that the few diverse ponies they did make aged horribly 😔

Post Merge: October 19, 2019, 10:00:20 AM

Post Merge: October 19, 2019, 10:25:53 AM

Unpopular opinion: I'm not excited for g5. Or is this...a popular opinion? I can't tell I've heard mixed feelings on that.
Anyway, if Hasbro just told us one day they were dropping My Little Pony, I might not care too much? That sounds awful but after dealing with my g4s yesterday I just was so annoyed by the quality. I guess if g5 bombs we still have Basic Fun and HQG1Cs.
Although. I am quite curious about g5 in a way. Maybe it'll be good and I'm griping for no reason. 🤣

My other unpopular opinions: I don't like Happy Tails ponies or Dance 'n Prances. They look weird and have boring or odd color schemes. Not that I'd turn them down if I find them but I'm not searching. Maybe its an opinion that would change if I saw one irl. Maybe I'll have to buy one sometime to see.
I don't mind frizzy hair. Of course I dislike it when it feels like Velcro but out-of-control tinsel? That's fine. Very frizzy, Locket style? Just adds to the 80's charm. Factory curls are amazing. And I don't mind them messed up. Would I prefer them nice, yeah, but messy is cool too. I guess I didn't notice the g4.5's quality until people pointed it out. Also, haircuts don't bother me much either. Not buzzcuts but bobs are actually cute! Or at least on g3s
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:28:42 AM by caseysealia »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: October 19, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
G4s diversity has always been utter crap. Everything not the core cast and a few fan faves are almost always relegated to blind bags/moulded figs.

When G4 was starting and it eventually dawned on me that they weren't ponyville, I was just aware of it to not see much more then 6 characters + luna/nightmare moon, celestia, cadence, shining armor, lira heartstrings and the odd character like sweetie drops, trixie lulamoon, gold lily, sterling and dj pony. That's not MY idea of balanced diversity. Especially compared to its predecessors.

I know distribution is different in different areas, but even in the supposed golden days that you people are talking about, I barely saw squat.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:32:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: October 19, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »
Well, we did have Lulu Luck, Snow Catcher, Cupcake ect. They were awesome and probably the best of g4. Such a short run though. If they had continued every line like that, even if they did keep re-releasing the main 6, I'd certainly appreciate that.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1767 on: October 19, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
Here's my piece on the mane 6 releases. Popular opinion but whatever.
I understand wanting to have core characters released every so often. You will have new kids come into the show and want to play with their favorite characters, and it would suck to not have those avaliable. I think it would be cool to have, like, we have the mane 6 avaliable now as singles in a weird tube-lookin' thing. Maybe keep that, release a new pose each year or whatever, so kids can pick their favorites.
Now, for the rest of the line, different characters! Use the show to sell the toys! For season 4, for example, had great potential. We could have had:
-Mane 6 tube releases. These could be taken away though, because we'll have...
-Story/Accessory double packs-Coco Pommel, Cheese Sandwich, etc. all with relevant accessories AND paired with a mane 6 character, Rainbowfied! Wouldn't kids go bonkers for that?
-ANTAGONIST SINGLES! Kids would ALSO go bonkers for this!
-Background character singles-Could also work in some toy only characters here! No mane 6 allowed, just the background characters/original characters to flesh out the toy-worlds
-The big playset of the year-the tree of harmony OR Twilight's castle that actually looks somewhat accurate! This would could have been a giant wall of a castle, even, as long as it looked like the castle. What we got instead was pathetic. (Comes with Tirek, Discord, and the exclusive rainbowfied twilight! oo!)
If G5 is media-driven again, I will be not upset if we actually get some of the different characters featured. It's great potential for stuff. People love stuff.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
Maybe popular opinion?

I wish they released an actual brushable Flurry Heart, a Shining Armor with a fringe (I think he always got a mohawk when it came to brushables) gave Chrysalis a proper mold (Not just the generic princess mold) and gave Cadence nice gradient pink to purple wings.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 20, 2019, 07:13:04 AM »
Maybe popular opinion?

I wish they released an actual brushable Flurry Heart, a Shining Armor with a fringe (I think he always got a mohawk when it came to brushables) gave Chrysalis a proper mold (Not just the generic princess mold) and gave Cadence nice gradient pink to purple wings.
The original Shining Armor has troll hair, and all you have to do is smooth it down. At least that's what I did, though it took a while to keep down, but its cute now. It looks more accurate than if they had given him normal hair (it wouldn't have smoothed down as easily, and this is Hasbro. There would be no accuracy  -_- )
I agree about Flurry! She would look so nice as a brushable not a little bit of plastic. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal