collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404729 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1650 on: May 29, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
I really wanted to like the first tooth baby ponies, because I love Quackers, and wish adult Bouncy was that soft shade of yellow underneath the flock, and the idea and the accessories and everything, but they are just somehow wrong, and I don't know why. Maybe they should be a bit bigger, since they have more adult propotions than baby ponies. They just don't look right next to other ponies.

I always thought it was odd in the cartoon how the first tooth babies were responsible for the newborn twins-feeding, entertaining, diapering, etc.  They lived alone in the Lullaby Nursery and the adults only showed up to see why the newborn twins were crying (because apparently they were loud enough to be heard all the way over in Dream Castle or Paradise Estate) and yell at the other babies for not taking good enough care of them.  Shouldn't there have been an adult somewhere in the nursery?

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 29, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
I really wanted to like the first tooth baby ponies, because I love Quackers, and wish adult Bouncy was that soft shade of yellow underneath the flock, and the idea and the accessories and everything, but they are just somehow wrong, and I don't know why. Maybe they should be a bit bigger, since they have more adult propotions than baby ponies. They just don't look right next to other ponies.

I always thought it was odd in the cartoon how the first tooth babies were responsible for the newborn twins-feeding, entertaining, diapering, etc.  They lived alone in the Lullaby Nursery and the adults only showed up to see why the newborn twins were crying (because apparently they were loud enough to be heard all the way over in Dream Castle or Paradise Estate) and yell at the other babies for not taking good enough care of them.  Shouldn't there have been an adult somewhere in the nursery?

Lots of things in the older MLP universe was strange to me.  Like how sometimes you'd see a baby pony who you know has a mother but you never saw her or how some ponies like Lickity Split had a baby but in the episode where you learn about Night Shade she doesn't seem like mother material and she wasn't in the MLP The Movie with the other ponies looking for her baby.  I guess back then people just never questioned it.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 29, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
Wildshadow has a copy of the MLP and Friends show bible and she's posted pics from it before - I have a feeling one of them said something about avoiding depicting "mother/child" relationships between the baby ponies and their corresponding mum pony (i.e. the writers were supposed to just leave that vague/avoid bringing it up.. I guess cause it might open up awkward questions, like where/who their dads are? :p) but I might be misremembering that.

I know they did do stuff like that once or twice ("Bright Lights", like you mentioned) but on the whole they did seem to kind of side-step the issue.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SwiftStar84

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 29, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »
*inhales **holds for emphasis* 

I AM NOT A BRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PROUD MY LITTLE PONY DADDY! I LOVE ALL GENS OF MLP!
Seeking Mia and Me Unicorns(the big ones) and Fantasy Filly Princess Kayla and Shayna!

Offline nebulavery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 30, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »
I really deeply dislike the G3 Diva pose, despite having both Moondancer and Wysteria in it. It just feels so snooty!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 31, 2019, 06:17:16 AM »
The so soft ponies feel gross.  I hate flocking it makes me nauseous touching it.

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 31, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »

I've always thought that the G1 baby ponies must age a little differently than humans. So the baby ponies are more like toddlers and the First Tooth babies are just above toddler age but still too young to be fully responsible for newborn baby ponies.

Wildshadow has a copy of the MLP and Friends show bible and she's posted pics from it before - I have a feeling one of them said something about avoiding depicting "mother/child" relationships between the baby ponies and their corresponding mum pony (i.e. the writers were supposed to just leave that vague/avoid bringing it up.. I guess cause it might open up awkward questions, like where/who their dads are? :p) but I might be misremembering that.

I know they did do stuff like that once or twice ("Bright Lights", like you mentioned) but on the whole they did seem to kind of side-step the issue.

That's very interesting. It seems like all of the adults looked after all of the babies in the cartoon.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:36:47 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 03, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
No offense, but it kinda irritates me that people believe the G1 cartoons had little impact on kids and that we were only about the toys. Some of us did watch cartoons and were influenced by it.

There were favorite iconic characters in both MLP n Friends and Tales. Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Patch, Shady, Baby Lickety-split, Whizzer, Teddy, Sweetheart and Melody come to mind. I wanted those ponies because of the cartoon. It was a very effective advertisement, much like Transformers and GI Joe were. I don't remember any commercials of Hasbro's Big 3, but I do remember the cartoons.

How I played with some of my toytoon ponies reflected that in their character, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I understand not every kid watched it or had cable. But other kids did, and our experience is just as valid as those of you who hadn't seen it, or didn't care for it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:50:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 03, 2019, 12:37:18 PM »
No offense, but it kinda irritates me that people believe the G1 cartoons had little impact on kids and that we were only about the toys. Some of us did watch cartoons and were influenced by it.

If the cartoon had no impact they would have stopped doing cartoons.
What I like about G1 is that it had so many canons and you could follow one or more and they'd be all legit.
Germany had the Pony n Friends cartoon, the back cards and the story tapes. I mostly grew up with the story tapes, so to me Firefly was a boy until I saw RaMC when I was already an adult and my mind was blown (positively so beause in the German story tapes a lot of active girl characters were turned into boys, such as Gusty and Firefly).
The back cards would have them as girls but... I couldn't read XD

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 03, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »

If the cartoon had no impact they would have stopped doing cartoons.
What I like about G1 is that it had so many canons and you could follow one or more and they'd be all legit.
Germany had the Pony n Friends cartoon, the back cards and the story tapes. I mostly grew up with the story tapes, so to me Firefly was a boy until I saw RaMC when I was already an adult and my mind was blown (positively so beause in the German story tapes a lot of active girl characters were turned into boys, such as Gusty and Firefly).
The back cards would have them as girls but... I couldn't read XD

Its always neat to hear about international differences Zapper. I had no idea about that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1660 on: August 04, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Over here I've been told RAMC aired in the very early years but the TV series didn't (I watched a lot of US cartoons from this time, Transformers, Heman, Shera, Thundercats, they all aired here, but MLP never did and I always wondered why). They were all on VHS here but you had to go out and a: find and b: buy them so I had 4 eps as a kid and though I watched them a lot, I considered them inferior to the comics because they 'got the names wrong' and 'invented ponies' <---How a UK kid explains watching a show meant for a completely different audience where completely different ponies and names were available.

So for me the biggest influence was the comic and it influenced how I bought or chose pony favourites. The TV show had zero impact on me because by the time I saw the most of the episodes those ponies were long gone - and my favourite was Paradise, who I now know didn't exist in the way I expected her to.

The comics were my biggest influence. UK backcard stories weren't very long until the late 1980s when they used similar stories to the US and then started branching out on their own. Early stories are two, three sentences.

I also had a bunch of spoken word books and other books and annuals, biggest story book etc.

I learned to read aged 2 and write aged 4 so by the time I was 5 or 6 I could read the pony comic and pony books on my own, and did. I've got the first (?) MLP and friends comic somewhere in which I wrote myself that I was 5, my favourite pony was Shady, and I had 8 ponies total in my collection xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 04, 2019, 06:11:04 AM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I do too. :)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 04, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
G1 teeny tiny babies are munchkin cats.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline milkywaymochi

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 04, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »
I don't care for seaponies much.

I don't particularly care for teeny tiny baby ponies either. According to my G1 guidebook, they were intended to be even younger than the newborn baby ponies. I... I'm sorry, exactly HOW do you get younger than a newborn?? Are they fetus ponies?!

Most of all however, I can't stand beddy bye eye ponies. I think they look downright horrifying. It's such a shame too, because there's some baby ponies I'd love to have, if they had a non BBE mould.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:19 AM »
According to my G1 guidebook, they were intended to be even younger than the newborn baby ponies.  I... I'm sorry, exactly HOW do you get younger than a newborn?? Are they fetus ponies?!

:lmao:

Maybe they were meant to be premie babies but I'd never heard they were supposed to be younger than newborns!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal