collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 406796 times)

Offline Elva

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1455 on: January 20, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »
Didn't Nancy Cartwright voice Gusty? I havent heard Gusty's voice in the series but now I gotta find a clip  :lol: I dont really like Gusty either, she's a little bit overhyped. But everyone has a favourite character!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Strawberrysweets, thank you!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:07 AM »
yeah, Gusty was voiced by Nancy Cartwright.

I'm sure I remember reading an interview, or somesuch, with one of the Hasbro workers that explained all the silly names from G3 onwards are because it's easier to trademark one nonsensical name, rather than picking one and having to check that it doesn't mean something bad in a foreign language, etc etc

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1457 on: January 20, 2019, 06:45:11 AM »
This is the thread of selfishness! I like how the Princess ponies sound in the comics. In the show they were indistinguishable. I'm willing to ignore the too-thick tinsel and strange symbols i appreciate a character.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 20, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
Didn't Nancy Cartwright voice Gusty? I havent heard Gusty's voice in the series but now I gotta find a clip  :lol:
One word: https://youtu.be/4_8M4IzO-HU?t=632
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 20, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »
I have come to the realization that I like Starshine in art more then toy. With the exception being German Starshine.

I don't like the darker pink stripe on the Anniversary Rainbows hair.

The 35ths scents are way too strong. What did they do? Drop the damn toys in pools of perfume? (Starshine's was the most mild.) The G3 Sunny Scents were never like this.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1460 on: January 20, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
I have come to the realization that I like Starshine in art more then toy. With the exception being German Starshine.

I don't like the darker pink stripe on the Anniversary Rainbows hair.

The 35ths scents are way too strong. What did they do? Drop the damn toys in pools of perfume? (Starshine's was the most mild.) The G3 Sunny Scents were never like this.

Sundae Best are still worse. Chocolate Chip (Coco Berry) and Butter Kiss (Swirly Whirly), I'm looking at you.

30 years and still deadly.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 20, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
Were all G1 scents that strong? I've never had any.

I like the 35th Twinkles mould better then the original.

I don't care if other people rip open blind bags/blind boxes searching for who they want. I think the concept of blind figs are annoying and though I wouldn't do it myself, I get to peek into what got opened without ending up with common doubles and without getting in trouble.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:03:43 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 20, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
Were all G1 scents that strong? I've never had any.

I only had one scented pony from new, a Sweetberry, and she was quite strong, but the second hand Sundae Bests, some of them, that I've had have been way worse. Those two in particular. And honestly, they still are now, even though so much time has passed. Which makes me think how they must have been new, given that my childhood Cherry Treats is no longer as potent as she once was...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 20, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
I am an old/oldfashioned pony lover.
ONLY G1s - after that..........Nope!
I have had just about every one - Nirvanas included.......Rapunzel, Mermaid amd a couple of others haven't had/got from the finance point of view.
I am downsizing them slowly - it is hard to know who to let go!  :lol:

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 20, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »

I don't like Gusty. At least, I like her as a basic pony, though I am not obsessive about her. I hate her in the cartoon, though. She's a bully and a grump and completely unlike the Gusty I remember from my childhood, who was kind, empathic, clever and took care of the baby ponies. I really wish we'd had Ribbon instead. I mean, if we were going to get one or the other, which seems probable, I'd rather have had Ribbon...

Also, I really don't want retro versions of the Princess Ponies because they will have bushwoolies and the wrong accessories and the wrong names for what I remember. That is a totally selfish opinion, but in this thread those are allowed, right?

I don't really want to buy any pony or pony item reissued with the 'wrong' name for what I remember growing up with, but for some, like 'Sweetie/Sweet Stuff', I might make an exception. However, I really don't want it with the princess set because I associate the US names with that horrible characterisation of them as spoiled brats in the Quest of the Princess Ponies. I really cannot stand them in that show. Probably even more than Gusty tbh. 

The princesses were beautifully characterised in the comics. Pearl was the sensitive one and the artist. Sapphire the wise one. Aquamarine the dreamer. Ruby the restless one always buzzing around. Amber the one who thought she could solve everything (but rarely could on her own), and Amethyst the one who meant well but always got things messed up somehow. And their dragons each complimented their personalities with personalities of their own - distinct individuals rather than a mass sheep mentality like the bushwoolies have. I love the Bushwoolies but I don't really love the fact they don't have their own personalities. So yeah. That's my really selfish unpopular opinion. No retro princesses please.

I wish the US princess ponies had the same personalities as they did in the comics instead of the ones that they have in the G1 cartoon. I've never really liked Gusty's cartoon personality either as she often says mean and spiteful things to the others.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Elva

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:30 PM »
Didn't Nancy Cartwright voice Gusty? I havent heard Gusty's voice in the series but now I gotta find a clip  :lol:

HOLY COW I felt like she's gonna tell us to eat her shorts at any second!!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 21, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »

HOLY COW I felt like she's gonna tell us to eat her shorts at any second!!

If I knew how to overlay Gusty with a track of Bart speaking I would make that happen...

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 21, 2019, 01:40:36 AM »
I also miss the less ridiculous names of earlier generations, and especially the wonderful world of translated names!

My latest unpopular opinion: I don't know how I feel about customising older ponies. I have done restorations myself, and alternate rehairs, which I know some people count as customs. I also own a customised pony (rehair and new symbol). But very often I look at customs and think 'noooo, that was a G1 pony'....but then if the custom is really cute and MLP-like I find I don't mind so much, which is totally hypocritical and subjective, and I'm well aware that nobody makes a custom thinking 'and I must make sure it is acceptable to Shaz!' :lol:. Also, although I love vampires, zombies etc in other contexts, I don't like ponies customised into gory or 'non-cute' things. I know a lot of people have strong views on customisation, but I'm just confused and constantly changing my mind :lol:.

Offline Elva

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 21, 2019, 02:26:32 AM »
But very often I look at customs and think 'noooo, that was a G1 pony'....

Same!!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 21, 2019, 04:23:31 AM »
But very often I look at customs and think 'noooo, that was a G1 pony'....

Same!!

In the old days, I didn't think much about it because G1 ponies were really common. I only ever played around with really baity ponies, and only did a few such (I have a baby masquerade and a baby parasol I made back then who still live on my shelf, I am quite happy with them given my general lack of art skills) but now...I dunno. Now I feel kind of the same.

I don't actually mind if the pony is genuinely baity. To me (and this is also an unpopular opinion, so keeps me on topic), the moment a pony is restored, it is half custom. If a pony is rehaired, it is a custom to me. It loses all its collector value the moment original hair is removed (even cut hair) to replace it with something non pony. So in my mind, a pony rehaired and a pony customised are the same thing. If that makes sense. Ditto repainted symbols albeit that is less drastic than a rehair to me.

In general I think it would be good if we customised G1 ponies less, esp now we have the retros which are adequate for customising and also HQG1C as well. But if a pony has no hair and symbol, to me that can be customised, because restoration is also customising.

On the subject of unpopular opinions - I don't like replica stuff. I really don't like replica accessories, especially those that look a lot like the original. I feel like there's no point collecting something if you are just going to have it made to order instead. I like the challenge of finding the real thing - so would rather go without than have a fake on my shelf.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal