collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404572 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1170 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
G3s have the best defined and horsiest faces of all gens.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »
Mimic is a touch overrated.

I'm not a huge fan of that pose, the head's too big or something, it could have been more elegant, and I wish it were. 
I'm not a huge fan of twinkle eyes.
I'm not a huge fan of ponies having symbols of creatures that I kind of feel would be on par with them in their universe.
I'm not a fan of the neon yellow/green/red combination as it was the color of a sweater I had in 1988.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
Mimic is a touch overrated.

I'm not a huge fan of that pose, the head's too big or something, it could have been more elegant, and I wish it were. 
I'm not a huge fan of twinkle eyes.
I'm not a huge fan of ponies having symbols of creatures that I kind of feel would be on par with them in their universe.
I'm not a fan of the neon yellow/green/red combination as it was the color of a sweater I had in 1988.

Lol. Okay, the sweater part cracked me up.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 10, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
Lol. Okay, the sweater part cracked me up.

It was SUCH an ugly sweater, and it was a gift.  And it was a very very thoughtful gift at that but it doesn't change the fact that it was hideous and I felt obligated to wear it.

Similar to this, but Mimic-colored and black with some small scatterings of turquoise.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My uncle thought I would love it because it kinda had this vibe:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 10, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »

:silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 12, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »
All ponies are toys and really sturdy ones too. I think its weird that some people get upset/anxious etc. when they discover that a kid is playing with an older pony.

They are made to be played with by everyone from toddlers who will bang them on the ground, to older kids who will take them on adventures. They're made outta plastic, not porcelain people! Seriously!

Now if that kid was your kid/younger relative/friend of your kid's and were known to be really rough,  destructive and uncaring of both their own and other people's property, yeah I can understand telling them off or taking something away after multiple warnings.

But the point remains is that ponies are toys and there's no reason to become upset that they're fulfilling their purpose of making a little kid happy.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:42:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1176 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
Providing they're already out of package, I agree with you - except I guess there are some concerns these days as to whether the deteriorating plastic might cause kids harm. I don't know where I stand on that one. I think it's the decision of the parents really.

Re the Mimic thing - I guess for me the fact people feel the need to publically declare their like or dislike for her is a weird thing to me. You don't usually see lots of people taking a stand about whether they love or hate Posey xD, so having to pick a preference with Mimic adds to the concept that she is somehow 'special' - if that makes sense?

I guess my unpopular opinion is that Mimic is just another pony to me. That's not a negative thing. I love her very much, but I don't see her as a status symbol, she's just one of a set of very pretty TE ponies, all of whom I like very much as well.

So to me singling Mimic out for this particular attention is often strange...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
As a kid (and still as an adult), I used to pick my favorites from a set and look for that particular one.  I couldn't afford or have them all so it was out of necessity really.   Because she was green, because of her symbol and because she had a pose my other ponies didn't, Mimic was my pick from the Twinkle Eyes.  I didn't get her.  Of course I moved on, but she still holds a special wish place for me. :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
I don't do the character army thing. I mean to each their own, but to me personally, having more then one of the same character, means less space for anything else.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:30:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 14, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
As a kid (and still as an adult), I used to pick my favorites from a set and look for that particular one.  I couldn't afford or have them all so it was out of necessity really.   Because she was green, because of her symbol and because she had a pose my other ponies didn't, Mimic was my pick from the Twinkle Eyes.  I didn't get her.  Of course I moved on, but she still holds a special wish place for me. :)

I did this too. Usually influenced by something in the comic. And I was usually biased to unicorns or pegasus ponies...usually pegasus ponies but unicorns in the case of sets that had no pegasus/the pegasus wasn't sold in the UK (Blueberry Baskets, I'm looking at you -.-)

But I rarely ever found the ones I singled out. So I would just go and buy one from the same set or whatever was there. And then they often became favourites because I'd look out for them in the comics more.

I guess that's a weird way to collect. Pick a pony, buy second best, grow to love second best ;)

It also meant my carboot years in the 1990s were frequently filling the gaps in those childhood wishes (and realising those ponies WERE available in my area, I just never saw them -.-.)

Thanks to carbooting, I can have more than one from a set now. But as a kid, unless I had presents, it was usually one from a set and then move on. :) Mountain Boys and Party Ponies were exceptions, I had 3 of each as I loved the sets and at least 3 from those 6 were presents I think...certainly 2 MBs were, I wouldn''t have been able to buy three myself at age 5-6.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 16, 2018, 04:52:07 AM »
It seems like every toy vaguely looking like a horse gets called a fakie
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »

Yeah that one's a bit of a head scratcher.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 16, 2018, 07:00:19 AM »
mmhm, I agree that that can get a bit crazy sometimes. IMO if it doesn't have a symbol, and it's not obviously trying to follow on MLP's heels (i.e. no symbol but similar proportions/eyes/etc), it's not a fakie.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 16, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »

Yeah that one's a bit of a head scratcher.

Leading on from this - and apologies in advance to anyone that this opinion may offend - I genuinely don't understand the craze for collecting fakies these days.

(Disclaimer - defining fakie for this post - a pony not belonging to another toy franchise and which was designed as part of a line to deliberately undercut MLP with a similar product at a cheaper price, with less quality. So including Lanard, Totsy, etc - not including Rainbow Brite's horse, Cabbage Patch ponies, etc)

Even as a kid I wasn't fooled by fakies. Nobody ever bought me one, so I guess they realised that. I have always left them behind at boot sales and in charity shops and if I get them in lots I donate them. I get increasingly frustrated at the huge quantity of fakies vs real ponies that show up at carboot sales and which get labelled as MLP. I genuinely can't understand spending money or space on them. Not even ones like Concerned Pony. I mean, she's funny, but I don't get the urge to own them.

And god, Rinse & Spit is the most horrible fakie in the existence of fakies.

I can't remember that people ever used to have this fakie interest, so I guess it's grown over time? I have noticed that the traditional destroy a fakie competition that was a staple of Ponycon for years in the past has somewhat dwindled, so I guess attention has shifted. Is it because MLP has got more expensive? Is it because fakies have got more interesting? Is it because we know more about them?

I don't really get it. I probably never will. To me a fakie is fakie. And I don't destroy them, because I don't vandalise things other people value - but I could never have them in my collection.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 16, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
Taffeta how could you? Don't you know that meat's meat and ponies gotta eat? That's why Princess RnS has those big ol' chompers. "Come closer my child," she says as she beckons gently. "Let me give you a little kiss."  :bolt::

:silly:

I've always liked cute fakies and at this point, they're far prettier then the hideous new moulds hasbroken has been putting out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:43:11 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal