collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404752 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #510 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
My collection does not belong to or exist for the community.

My collection is for me to enjoy.

Not for someone else to enjoy.

My collection is appropriate and appreciated by me, for me. Right now. In the present.

Plastic ponies are not real living endangered species.

I totally agree with that for real.  :thumb:

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #511 on: September 07, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »
Well first of all I do not and will not EVER.. 'hate' any ponies especially all G1s  :biggrin: I'm not a huge fan of the other gens but... They are still lovely and are starting to grow on me (a G3 baby has managed to sneak into my own collection & a G4 baby is giving me goo goo/puss in boots eyes atm  :lol:)

Hate is such a nasty word there are only a couple of things that I have hated in my life and that was for very very very good reasons.
'Hated' & unloved ponies just makes me want them more. If i had more money I'd buy all those little unloved ponies floating around whatever their conditions. I already buy every winger and Teeny Tiny i can  :biggrin:

I guess my obsession with baby ponies could be 'unpopular'... O well more for me  :biggrin:
Guess it's because Katie & Lollipop were 2 of my main ponies when i was little (still have both)... Plus the UK had so many great babies  ^.^
Teeny tinies are my fav and wingers! (i collect these ones in any condition)

Original I wasn't going to collect any adults at all... Which may again be unpopular... But milkyway changed all that a few years ago now I have a huge list of wants and a growing herd of adults. There are a few Adults im not a fan of... But they do grow on me I know I will just want every G1 in the end.

Although I can understand the not liking G1s customised. I don't quite think the same.
I'm not a fan of when ponies in good condition have been customised, if a ponies hair has been attacked with the scissors but symbols eyes etc are amazing then rehairing is a great option. Don't really like seeing ones with good bodies symbols etc being completely customised.
But omg customs can be amazing.

There are 'baity' ponies who do need saving though & customising is a great option.
I will never regret customising my cool breeze glisten (in my sig/see thread in customs) because she had a huge bite mark right on her face. This is the best way for me to save her (did ask around and couldn't find anyone to fix her nose). Plus she's mine!  :lol: she's not going anywhere  ^.^
Having a huge bite mark isn't really a well loved played with pony, its a poor pony who a kid used as a chew toy like a dog uses chew toys. Get them to eat some food... Suck on an ice cube/ice lolly if they are teething... Don't eat poor toy ponies! Poor little ponies  :(
Just makes me think of the evil kid on Toy Story. Poor little pony must of been through hell.

If I ever found a MOC or MIB, I would have to sell it quickly because I WILL open them if they stay with me (i will keep all packaging though).
I'm a big kid at heart and always think of all toys teddy's etc as if they were alive like in Toy Story
So old toys in boxes actually upset me because they haven't had the joy of being played with (don't want them to turn out like old spector in Toy Story 2  :lol:)
(perhaps very silly & i know it's not true but I can dream  :lol: i have a huge imagination and so many ideas they never stop  :lol:)
They are toys after all & were made to be played with not to sit in packaging. (i do understand why people collect moc mib though thats y if i found one id try to sell it first)
Something I don't really like is all the new 'limited edition' toys which are just left in boxes and never played with... Mainly Disney.... Surely some need a chance to be played with... Make them as a sculpture or make it of delicate glass or china if its meant to stay in the box and be for display... not as a toy.... Think it's a bit mean for kids. They see these beautiful toys in the shops and beg for them (i know I would of) but then they can't play with them because they are limited editions.... They are always so much money too way more they a lot of the G1s I want....

Unpopular perhaps popular not sure.... When (if) I have kids I will let them play with my ponies (obviously i might just have to play ponies with them too... Shame that  :lol:) . Obviously there will be no scissors pens etc allowed near them & they will have to wait until they are old enough to play with the wingers.
I do have a little cousin (well 2nd cousin) now who I can't wait to give her, her first pony (G1) when she is old enough. I already know which one she will have, its not a very expensive one but its perfect for her & turns out her mum (my cousins wife) always wanted ponies when she was little but she never had any, so i know she will love them too.

I guess my over imagination regarding ponies & over sentimentality could be unpopular  :lol:  :P o well hehe

But anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinions  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:27:26 PM by Lollipop »
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline BabyBlueberry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Give me the G1 and G3 ponies that had manes, tails, and substance - that looked like sassy little ponies grazing in a field, in Technicolor. I never was a fan of G2, and G4 would be okay if they were bigger. I wish I'd gotten into collecting way earlier, around the beginning of say, 2003/2004, when pony goodness filled up nearly an ENTIRE AISLE of my local Wal-Mart!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:48 AM »

And this is the most important motif of this thread :)

As for the MIP/decard debate, it is I think still the most controversial thing in the community, with people firmly on both sides for different reasons.

When I first came into pony collecting online I didn't understand anything about MOC. A lot of ponies we got from clearance stores in the middle 1990s (a lot of which are htf now) got decarded or deboxed because I was still mostly a kid and didn't think about the consequences. I wouldn't say I regret that, because I was still a teenager and I didn't know any better.

But I guess with time I've come to a very firm position about ponies in packaging. I think it came about mostly because I collect UK ponies in package, and they are not like the US release ponies. There are a lot of US release ponies on card still from some sets, like the TAF ponies and the TE ponies from the first set. I don't personally like the idea of decarding those, but in a sense, if one or two are decarded, it doesn't obliterate the existence of those items from our community. Maybe this makes me a hypocrite, I don't know, but I feel it's best to be honest. UK MOC examples from the old years are already scarce. I feel like that means one decarded pony basically removes a piece of our knowledge going forwards.

For me decarding a MOC pony is the same as tossing a Nirvana pony into the incinerator, or cutting it into pieces. If someone wants to do that to a Nirvana, or a OOAK pony, they can. It's their property, right? I suspect that there'd be much  more outrage about that than there is about decarding though. For those of us for whom specific MIP ponies are the grail item, it's very upsetting when people post bragging about decarding, post images, videos etc. I don't say that you can't do as you like with your own property, but I find those threads really provocative.

Not liking something is not a reason to disrespect the people who do, basically. That's how I feel about things like this. I don't like Takara ponies or piggy ponies, but if I had one, I'd sell it. I wouldn't take time to mutilate or customise it and then post images or video about it on the forum bragging about how much I had enjoyed the process.

If you have something in a form you don't like, then it makes sense to me to sell it, get the money and buy the thing you actually want. I don't understand the mentality of anyone who has something they don't like, knows someone else wants it, and instead of selling it so it can be appreciated, they choose to destroy it "because they can."

Basically it's more than about an individual's personal right over their property. I think that everyone does have that right, even if that is decarding or customising, but there are ways and means in which to tackle it and sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. It's fine to consider your collection yours to do with as you like, but the moment you start bragging about all the things you customised or decarded, then you bring it into other people's faces, and that has an impact on those people and how they feel. I think it's fine to do what you believe in, but it doesn't hurt to consider other people's positions before making that kind of a post.

And now I'm expecting to be pelted by the fakies, but that is my unpopular opinion in favour of the community over the individual in pony collecting :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 08, 2017, 04:26:46 AM »
Quote from: Taffeta link=topic=385476.msg1664247#msg1664247
(...) but the moment you start bragging about all the things you customised or decarded, then you bring it into other people's faces, and that has an impact on those people and how they feel. I think it's fine to do what you believe in, but it doesn't hurt to consider other people's positions before making that kind of a post.

Agreed. What you post within a community is meant for the community, so of course there will be all sorts of opinions. People who can't deal with that can always opt to post these things on their personal websites, blogs and streams and just delete the comments they don't want. That's their right.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2017, 04:36:35 AM »

And this is the most important motif of this thread :)

As for the MIP/decard debate, it is I think still the most controversial thing in the community, with people firmly on both sides for different reasons.

When I first came into pony collecting online I didn't understand anything about MOC. A lot of ponies we got from clearance stores in the middle 1990s (a lot of which are htf now) got decarded or deboxed because I was still mostly a kid and didn't think about the consequences. I wouldn't say I regret that, because I was still a teenager and I didn't know any better.

But I guess with time I've come to a very firm position about ponies in packaging. I think it came about mostly because I collect UK ponies in package, and they are not like the US release ponies. There are a lot of US release ponies on card still from some sets, like the TAF ponies and the TE ponies from the first set. I don't personally like the idea of decarding those, but in a sense, if one or two are decarded, it doesn't obliterate the existence of those items from our community. Maybe this makes me a hypocrite, I don't know, but I feel it's best to be honest. UK MOC examples from the old years are already scarce. I feel like that means one decarded pony basically removes a piece of our knowledge going forwards.

For me decarding a MOC pony is the same as tossing a Nirvana pony into the incinerator, or cutting it into pieces. If someone wants to do that to a Nirvana, or a OOAK pony, they can. It's their property, right? I suspect that there'd be much  more outrage about that than there is about decarding though. For those of us for whom specific MIP ponies are the grail item, it's very upsetting when people post bragging about decarding, post images, videos etc. I don't say that you can't do as you like with your own property, but I find those threads really provocative.

Not liking something is not a reason to disrespect the people who do, basically. That's how I feel about things like this. I don't like Takara ponies or piggy ponies, but if I had one, I'd sell it. I wouldn't take time to mutilate or customise it and then post images or video about it on the forum bragging about how much I had enjoyed the process.

If you have something in a form you don't like, then it makes sense to me to sell it, get the money and buy the thing you actually want. I don't understand the mentality of anyone who has something they don't like, knows someone else wants it, and instead of selling it so it can be appreciated, they choose to destroy it "because they can."

Basically it's more than about an individual's personal right over their property. I think that everyone does have that right, even if that is decarding or customising, but there are ways and means in which to tackle it and sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. It's fine to consider your collection yours to do with as you like, but the moment you start bragging about all the things you customised or decarded, then you bring it into other people's faces, and that has an impact on those people and how they feel. I think it's fine to do what you believe in, but it doesn't hurt to consider other people's positions before making that kind of a post.

And now I'm expecting to be pelted by the fakies, but that is my unpopular opinion in favour of the community over the individual in pony collecting :)

Completely makes sense to me. I do understand why people like to collect MIB & MOC, I am just not one of them... but as I said that is why I would always try to sell the MIB or MOC first or even better trade it for loose ponies  :biggrin:
If say I got a Mimic MOC (one of my grails) I wouldn't open her, I would defo sell her.... but I would hold on to her until I found a Mimic at least. (would probably have to hide her away in a box though so I wasn't tempted to open it  :lol:)
I wouldn't mind the packaging of some ponies though (ponies removed) especially winger boxes. Wish I kept my Lollipop packaging when I was younger  :lol:
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2017, 04:50:53 AM »
Wow people actually make videos opening MoC? Ooooh boy, that would be my boiling point.

A while ago I spoke to a person who had bought all sortf of Barbie playsets, cars, bike, camper, horses etc. All mint in box. She said she bought it all for her young daughter 4 years old to open it on her birthday. I couldn't believe me ears. I told her why she would do such a thing. It's not like these things aren't able to be found loose and already opened. She didn't get the purpose of MiB collecting and just saw it as an opportunity for her daughter to play with toys from "back then". She is a few years older then me and grew up as a 90's kid. I played with Barbie too back then so I know all the sets and know who valuable they are now.

After I told her that, she really got kind of irritated and said: "So when should I give it to her then? Just let it sit there another 30 years?" I tried to explain to het that that was the purpose of a MiB item for a collector. I don't know. I'm not into Barbie, but I find it quite selfish to open MiB items from the 80's and 90's. Because first of all there is a huge market fot them and collectors who really want them. Second there are so many Barbie sets out there and cars and what not already opened up. Third, there are so many Barbie items and Barbies in the stores right now.

This same person has sold her whole MLP collection on a local "Ebay" like website. So that's where I know her from. I also bought a couple of her Ponies. That's how we got to talk. Her cousin put a full set of CP year 2 Ponies on that website for sale. She told her that she didn't feel like selling anymore so gave the rest of her ponies that were ;eft over to her cousin. Her cousin then told me that those Ponies who were litteraly brand new with all ribbons+combs were actually MiP before she gave them to her cousin. She removed them from the plastic to take better pictures -_-. Even her cousin knew that that was a very dumb and unneccesairy thing to do.

I eventually bought the ponies. I am not a fan of CP, but they were in such a fabulous condition that I didn't want to skip on them. Because I know if I want to buy from the US it would be atleast trice as expensive + shipping.

My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
Well, this will clearly be an unpopular opinion.  But I say if you are going to unbox a MIP g1 anyway, go ahead and record it.  At least that way there is a record and others can vicariously enjoy the moment with you.  I did that exact thing with a carded Blueberry Baskets.  She was water damaged and moldy inside the bubble.  But I recorded the opening and clean up so others could vicariously experience something they hadn't experienced in 30 years.

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
Well, this will clearly be an unpopular opinion.  But I say if you are going to unbox a MIP g1 anyway, go ahead and record it.  At least that way there is a record and others can vicariously enjoy the moment with you.  I did that exact thing with a carded Blueberry Baskets.  She was water damaged and moldy inside the bubble.  But I recorded the opening and clean up so others could vicariously experience something they hadn't experienced in 30 years.

That is a whole different scenario though. I wouldn't mind that at all. Yours was damaged and molded. I'd hate to see a pony waste away like that. I would even love to see the cleaning progress.

But to deliberatly open a clean, undamaged MoC would be a kick in the face in my opinion.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
I like customizing ponies but I really don't like how customized G1s look.  I don't know why.  It's not because I think they should be exempt from customization--though I think customizing a nice looking G1 over a baity one isn't the best choice in the world-- it's just that I don't generally like the end result.  I think the style/poses/design of G3s and G4s is much better for custom work.  Plus the constant re-issue of the Mane 6 in the G4 line provides lots of duplicates that I just don't feel bad customizing into a different pony.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #520 on: September 08, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
I have reached the point with decarding where I dislike it but I am not going to declare war on someone over different collection politics. I might choose not to sell a moc pony to someone who I know decards but that to me is an extension of the my property my decision rules. Unfortunately I have received negative messages for making that choice which is a shame.  I think the best way to combat it for me is to work hard to get the mip items I can because then they are going to stay sealed. My sister is very against mip and I am not but we both know that and it is fine. She would never tell me I should open my mip ponies because it us cruel, she understands why I love them. And I would never tell her to collect mip stuff. She just chooses to buy loose ponies rather than decarding mip ones.

I find videos, photos, brag threads about decarding generally upsetting. I respect the right to choose how you collect as a private thing even if I don't do it, but the moment it is in the community it is no longer an individual who is affected but everyone who sees the thread. And yes, you can just not read the thread, but I find it a bit tactless that people make threads with titles obviously glorifying decarding. I think Moc collectors get backed into this corner in situations like that and it somehow then becomes not ok to collect moc as it is 'cruel'. It is just my perspective but for me cruel is posting threads glorifying the destruction of something that makes another person happy. I know a lot of people get cross when g1 stuff gets slammed by the less reputable FIM people, but I don't think sometimes people realise what they are posting could be distressing to someone else. Not that the whole forum should be censored but just a little more awareness I guess?

It  isn't that I don't respect personal choice, I just feel there is a sense that that only applies to people who want to decard. It only ever comes up in those discussions and only in regards to justifying decarding. Ponies are toys, they don't care if they are played with or not. Collectors are people and that matters to me more.

I rarely post when I get a new Moc because someone will joke about Toy story or setting it free or stuff like that and I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, having the moc is a piece of precious nostalgia. And I accept others express their nostalgia differently but I just think sometimes more tact could be applied.

I honestly don't know what I think of mercy decarding. I have never had a mouldy pony to deal with. I have one with almost an entirely broken bubble base but I have not decarded her. I think i the case of mould the rules are probably different. I have to be honest though, the video thing I am not a fan of.

I am happy this is being discussed respectfully.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 22, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
Are the Sunshine ponies popular? I love Waverunner and Beach Ball.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »

Ponyfan

I think they're sort of inbetween. Plenty of people like them.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2017, 02:36:57 AM »
I love Waverunner. She was one of my later childhood herds. I got her from the neighbour of my grandma who was getting rid of all her My Little Pony G1.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2017, 04:02:54 AM »

I always thought those are the most popular Sunshines :lol:
Everybody loves Beachball.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal