collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407288 times)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2017, 10:25:26 PM »
Am so far behind in the seasons that I don't mind sitting through the episodes good or bad.
Hated the Equesteria girls when the first debuted but they've grown on me. The soundtracks aren't that bad and a few of the songs are catchy. :listen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 09, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
I think season 1 and 2 of FiM are both overrated. People are all too quick to remember the good episodes, and forget that there's as many dumb ones as in newer seasons.

I agree. Also how people make the cut right after the end of S2 is suspicious. That's when Lauren Faust wasn't consulting anymore.
I don't care for the show or Lauren Faust that much. :)  I didn't know anything about her until after the show came out, I got around to watching an episode and found out about her on this forum.   Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina are still my very favorite MLP cartoons and those are the ones that matter most to me.  I do love the Pony Wedding episode and  the episodes before it.  But as the show went on, I lost my enthusiasm.  For me, the excitement of the characters meeting each other and creating a dynamic together was the interesting part.  The Chrystal Empire just didn't click for me and that's where it eventually lost me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:31:02 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
A couple more of my unpopular opinions;

I enjoyed "Slice of Life" - I didn't find that the brony references stopped it being a good episode (partly, I admit because it focused mostly on the things that mean something to me in some way), and also think that the brony stuff can easily be ignored in that episode.

I actually think that Capper fits in with My Little Pony (people have been saying he doesn't) - in fact, he seems to be the one who fits in with the show the most out of the movie characters to me.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
I liked "Slice of Life", too.

Well, except Octavia's voice. Worst excuse for an English accent I've ever heard, and I've heard a loooot of bad English accents -_-

Offline FlickaFriend

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
I love all ponies with tinsel or glitter. You have a sparkly pony? Im going to love it!

I also love so softs. I remember when I started collecting I thought they looked kinda.. Well, not my thing. But once I got one in a lot, I instantly fell in love. SS ponies with good flocking are so adorable!

I dont really care about baby ponies. They're ok, I will keep them if they come in a lot, but I would probably never buy them. Unless we are talking about jewellery babies..  :lookround:

I am completely new to collecting and to the forum so not sure I have the right to comment, but....

I don't really like baby ponies either.  I think partly it's because in my head the "adult" ponies are really just older children, so I can't conceptualise them as "mummy ponies" having to look after babies.  I also think the "adults" are just way cuter than the babies, it's as though the baby ponies are trying too hard to be cute or something. Edited to add: oh yeah, I also just thought of another thing which is that they are nothing like actual baby ponies i.e. foals who have long wobbley legs and are the opposite of the dumpy MLP babies who look more like piglets than ponies.

I also don't like sea ponies. At all.  To me they look like they are deformed.  I am amazed at the prices they can command.

However, not particularly unpopular but contentious I guess: I adore the G1 Collector's Pose and I was very surprised to see the number of people on here who don't like it. I think it's adorable!  This is probably helped a lot by nostalgia as I am old enough to remember the first 6 ponies coming out in the UK in collector's pose.

Interesting thread!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:48:00 AM by FlickaFriend »
Keeping on cantering on.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #470 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:18 AM »

Well, except Octavia's voice. Worst excuse for an English accent I've ever heard, and I've heard a loooot of bad English accents -_-

Don't get me started on bad English accents in things.
Whenever I watch Jem, the only one who has a reasonable voice is Jetta, because her voice artist is more or less English and Christy Marx insisted on her having a proper speaker for the role, but some of the others are awful. I didn't know Octavia was meant to be 'English' but if it's that bad, I would probably hate her on sight ;)

@Flickafriend: Sea Ponies grow on you :) but their popularity now is relative recent. When I first began online 20 years ago nobody was really interested in them and you could pick them up super cheap, even still mint on card. They've grown in popularity over the years. It's really interesting what things are and aren't popular over time and which ponies retain their popularity.

<--getting old ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:53 AM »
Luna's future is one of the most boring song of FiM, trying to be epic but failed miserably.Now half of the brony fandom probably wants to kill me because they worship Luna.By the way, i think Luna is way too overrated.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2017, 06:07:48 AM »

Don't get me started on bad English accents in things.
Whenever I watch Jem, the only one who has a reasonable voice is Jetta, because her voice artist is more or less English and Christy Marx insisted on her having a proper speaker for the role, but some of the others are awful. I didn't know Octavia was meant to be 'English' but if it's that bad, I would probably hate her on sight ;)

ugh yessss. Bad English accents drive me up the wall, too..

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the idea of Octavia being 'English' to begin with, since I've never liked the "fancy upperclass character = English accent" cliche anyway, but they could have at least given her a halfway decent accent -_-

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »
If you have a chance and want your ears to burn,  look up Sean Harrison from Jem as it competes with Dick Van Dyke for awfulness.

I guess the unpopular opinion here is that no English characters should be attempted as it ends up pretty offensive;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
I might as well confess to finding Octavia Melody's voice to be beautiful.  I don't mind if it was supposed to be English or not, I think it suited her personally.   ^.^

It was pretty much how I imagined her voice anyway, I think.  I'll admit that I saw one brony-made video that gave her a sophisticated accent, which may have fuelled that headcanon of mine, but I think it was easy enough for me to reach, since she looks like a fancy pony to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:58:21 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »
I really dislike G4 Pinkie Pie because she is everywhere in toy form and her voice is just so grating to me, but I think she became a much better character in the show once they introduced her sister Maude and as a result of that is better written in the later episodes.

Just to add to me previously saying that I don't think FiM season 1-4 is so great. And that reminds me that the first two seasons gave me my two most disliked Pinkie episodes. I still feel bad for the donkey :lol:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 21, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
I thought all the ponies having different accents was kind of weird, especially when they live together.  Where are you from, Truly?  How far do ponies travel?  How big is ponyland??  In my head, I always felt G1 ponyland was a relatively small group of ponies with some wandering around in the wilderness.

I also disliked that the boy ponies suddenly returned and yet no one ever mentioned or missed them before.  Total destruction of a "head canon" I suppose. lol.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:36:04 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 21, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Luna's future is one of the most boring song of FiM, trying to be epic but failed miserably.Now half of the brony fandom probably wants to kill me because they worship Luna.By the way, i think Luna is way too overrated.
omg me too i prefer celestia anyway

Post Merge: August 21, 2017, 03:32:48 PM

I hate ridiculously priced ponies too. That's pretty popular from a buyer's perspective. :snicker:
i have seen sunade best ponies going up to 30 dollars like honestly

Post Merge: August 21, 2017, 03:39:11 PM

I don't like G3 Spike... I didn't realize this was an unpopular opinion until reading about how much people liked him. XD G1 Spike for life.
my biggest problem is his voice
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:39:11 PM by Mami Tomoe »
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
I thought all the ponies having different accents was kind of weird, especially when they live together.  Where are you from, Truly?  How far do ponies travel?  How big is ponyland??  In my head, I always felt G1 ponyland was a relatively small group of ponies with some wandering around in the wilderness.

I also disliked that the boy ponies suddenly returned and yet no one ever mentioned or missed them before.  Total destruction of a "head canon" I suppose. lol.

Haha, good point about Truly! I never thought about that before.

With the Big Brothers suddenly appearing in Somnambula, I remember wondering about that as a child. Where had they been all that time? Where did they go once that episode was over?

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
So I am unsure which bits of this are unpopular opinions, but this statement of Faust's (I'm copying from Wiki, if it's misquoted or misattributed then that's my disclaimer) about the original MLP animation being "endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying".

So the reason I have issues with this, aside the obvious fact anyone who's ever seen Rescue at Midnight Castle, Tambelon, Bright Lights, Somnambula, Revolt of Paradise Estate etc knows it's rubbish, is that in my opinion, that statement perfectly sums up FIM.

I am not even that big a fan of the old animated series. But I have become much more sympathetic to it since that, because as far as I'm concerned, Faust basically created a series that was everything she hated about G1 animation. And most of those reasons, especially the obsessive need to befriend everything, is why I couldn't ever get into FIM.

I don't remember a compulsive need for the old ponies to befriend every villain they met. I do remember North Star ringing a bell to consign one of them to a world of darkness though...

Given the size of the FIM fandom, it's clearly an unpopular opinion, so I am putting it here :D
like honestly i prefer teaparty and befriending villans then action and adventure like whats so wrong with teaparties
and lauren needs to pick a side does she love g1 or not

Post Merge: August 21, 2017, 03:51:30 PM

Animation wise-G3.5 and G4 look alot alike, so people who hate one and praise the other, have a lot of nerve.
omg finaly someone said it

Post Merge: August 21, 2017, 04:07:20 PM

I love the BBE babies. Moreso than the regular g1 babies.

I think super mint condition collections are boring. I prefer my ponies to be a little beat up, have some history and character!

That thick chunky coloured tinsel they used for the Butterfly Island g3s was really pretty.

I do like Mimic (green and parrots!!! my faves!!) but if anyone from that set deserves that amount of attention, it's Bright Eyes.

I prefer the g4.5 reboot ponies over the older g4s. By comparison, the older ones look droopy and dull and the reboot set look a little closer to what ponies should look like, imo.

I can't wait for g5 to pop up and flush out the last of the people latching onto the brony label and g4's popularity. I was still very much a child when the brony phenomenon started and was extremely hurt by feeling chased out of the community I grew up in because I was now seemingly in the minority and in the wrong for being a kid who liked kids toys. The last of my childhood was taken away from me for the comfort of adult men in a space that didn't belong to them and I can't wait for them to get a taste of their own medicine when g5 rolls around and children take up the majority of mlp fans again.
omg i thought i was the only one its so annoying how they got 3 different documentarys and we havent got one
because im exausted from the shoutouts they get but we dont get much
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:07:20 PM by Mami Tomoe »
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal