collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404703 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2017, 04:50:49 AM »
@bright rabbit, I have a feeling a lot of those opinions might be more popular than you think xD I too hate the jacked up prices on "htf" G1 ponies on ebay :/

I don't know which is the more unpopular opinion, the community vs the personal property argument. I think both points of view are strongly held so are both popular but are also both very unpopular with the other group of thought (if that makes sense).

I am very much on the community side, because as a historian I believe in preserving the past for the future, but rather than making this a debate about those things, I'll add on what I said before.

Respect goes both ways in this debate. I see often buyers reiterating the fact they can do as they like with something they have bought, but I have also seen abuse flung at sellers who choose not to sell to someone who wants to customise or decard an item. The seller owns the item up to the point they agree to sell it. They are entitled to choose what happens to it, including who to sell it to. That does not make them a bad seller. We respect sellers choosing where they ship to, what currency they accept, what payment methods they are willing to use. I don't really understand why this is different. It shouldn't be. Obviously, on ebay, you sell to whoever bids, but in a private community the seller and buyer relationship is different and more personal.

If the buyer has the right to do as they like, which they do, the seller does likewise. Respect should be due to both parties. That's a community spirited element that I think can apply to both sides of the thought process - community vs personal property applies in both cases, because seriously, transactions have to be about both people being happy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:59:11 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2017, 04:51:58 AM »
Tank (that's the tortoise's name) came back even earlier, in the same season as his hibernation, making an (in my opinion) already pointless episode even more pointless.  It was such a poorly done metaphor, that Rainbow Dash just looked like an immature child who's favorite toy had been taken away (and this is coming from someone who loves G4 Rainbow Dash).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:04 AM »
I hate ridiculously priced ponies too. That's pretty popular from a buyer's perspective. :snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 07, 2017, 04:26:44 AM »
I don't mind the fact that most of the places in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic have names based on real places.  I understand the desire to have more imaginative fantasy names, but for some reason the way they name places in FiM has never bothered me, and actually doesn't prevent me from viewing Equestria as a fantasy place at all.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 07, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
Eh, for me it's not the real life name that's the problem. It's the fact that everything in this show is a stupid horse pun shoved in your face, like their ridiculous language.

Besides and here is my unpopular opinion, it's not like MLP n Friends had creative, fantasy sounding names with the exception of Tambelon.

Crystal Desert, Volcano of Gloom, Pony Land, Flutter Valley, The Mushromp, Muensterville. C'mon! How generic can you get?

I honestly don't remember if the place the Tales ponies lived ever had a name.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:12:42 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
I loved every episode of FIM up to and including the wedding episode.  After that, it's been more miss than hit and I'm actually not too sad about it.  I have my DVDs of the first two seasons and I'm ok with it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:37:46 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
I've been the same really, barring "Putting Your Hoof Down" which was once the lowest the show could sink, in my opinion.  Anything after season two can go either way, though season three ended up looking better in my opinion, compared to what was to come - it really needed more episodes for me to give it a full opinion.

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »
I've been the same really, barring "Putting Your Hoof Down" which was once the lowest the show could sink, in my opinion.  Anything after season two can go either way, though season three ended up looking better in my opinion, compared to what was to come - it really needed more episodes for me to give it a full opinion.
I don't know,Dragon Quest was pretty bad too (and the fact that it's a worse version of Spike's Search doesn't help either).

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Eh, for me it's not the real life name that's the problem. It's the fact that everything in this show is a stupid horse pun shoved in your face, like their ridiculous language.

Besides and here is my unpopular opinion, it's not like MLP n Friends had creative, fantasy sounding names with the exception of Tambelon.

Crystal Desert, Volcano of Gloom, Pony Land, Flutter Valley, The Mushromp, Muensterville. C'mon! How generic can you get?

Ditto on the ridiculous language. Everypony. No thank you. It's almost as annoying as some of the MH puns, or Draculaura constantly abbreviating words that only sound cool abbreviated if you happen to be seven.

...In terms of place names, I remember in the comic we had the Whispering Wood, the Weird Wood, Rainbow Mountain, Misty Mountain...a lot of different places and I would love to have once had a map of ponyland showing where all these things were in relation to one another. I don't have a problem with pony place names, not even Equestria as a name. But the language, definitely. I'm glad G1 didn't do it.

I dunno if this is unpopular or not, but I think FIM needs to stop recycling names, concepts, anything from old MLP and genuinely go it alone. I get that it's a nod to the past, but I am really not comfortable with it, I think that FIM should be FIM and G1, G1, and they can and should be entirely original without needing to constantly dip into the past pot of inspiration.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:03:44 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 07, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »
I'm sure 7 year olds roll their eyes at it Taffeta. :P

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 08, 2017, 04:23:51 AM »
I think season 1 and 2 of FiM are both overrated. People are all too quick to remember the good episodes, and forget that there's as many dumb ones as in newer seasons. I guess it's because people will only rewatch good episodes, reinforcing the positive impression and ignoring the negative.
It's a bit like when people say Sonic Adventure 2 is the best game ever, but only the Sonic parts which is, like, a sixth of the game. People remember it as a good game because they've forgotten the majority of it.
Or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 08, 2017, 06:50:21 AM »
The thing is with me when it comes to season one and season two - the only bad episode for me, in that I actually ask "What were they thinking?!" is "Putting Your Hoof Down".  The other lesser episodes in those two seasons, based on my own personal opinion, were just below-par.  "A Bird in the Hoof" was simply unremarkable to me.  "Over a Barrel" only let itself down by being too childish in the context of what the show had already established for itself, as far as I was concerned (a potential death from pies?!) - I didn't even notice the controversial side to it.  Finally, "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" basically foreshadowed what I personally felt was Pinkie Pie's bad-patch in Season 3, the scenes where they show close-ups of how the bakers had food on them somewhere seemed out of place to me.

Ultimately, I don't hate those episodes, like I do "Putting Your Hoof Down", but I love the other episodes a lot more, which includes "Dragon Quest" (barring the opening - I also haven't seen "Spike's Search" yet) and, since most people seem to hate it, "The Mysterious Mare Do Well".

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
I think season 1 and 2 of FiM are both overrated. People are all too quick to remember the good episodes, and forget that there's as many dumb ones as in newer seasons.

I agree. Also how people make the cut right after the end of S2 is suspicious. That's when Lauren Faust wasn't consulting anymore.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
That depends on whether they were produced in order though, if they were, then fair enough, but I'm sure that some of "A Canterlot Wedding" was done under Lauren Faust's run or at least the planning of it was (she was one of the people who created Princess Cadance and Queen Chrysalis - though she was not around to be consulted about Cadance being changed to an alicorn, so I know was not in control of everything), and I know that it was during season two that she left (season 3 was the first season without her involvement at all), but a lot of the episodes still have what the later episodes seem to lack (I don't know if they lack this because Lauren left, or something else happened).

The point I'm trying to make, is that even in a show that works well in order, the episodes aren't necessarily written or planned out in order - you might write an episode that you know is going to come later, but if you have the idea now, you at least plan the episode.  Who knows, some of the season two episodes may have been written during or even before season one.

Also, to clarify - I am not one of the people who think the show died after she left (the fact that I acknowledge that some of the episodes of season two were done without her, and actually feel that season three managed to hold it together in places confirms this), but I do think that it lost something.  I still like it, but it simply doesn't feel like the same show at times - I don't know if it's because of Lauren going or a combination of things.  It can do and had done good without her, but it needs to make more effort in my opinion, and not completely forget what she'd established, and remember where it came from, before even Lauren was involved (though I personally think she, and the others at the time, did very well in capturing the previous My Little Pony cartoons, regardless of whether they meant to).

EDIT: Oh, that went a bit deep at the end there.  Sorry, I realise this isn't meant to be a debate thread - I just didn't want people to think I was one of those bronies.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM by MJNSEIFER »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
I may have expressed this before, even in this thread, but having just had to groom one, I feel the need to express it again.

I hate Sundae Best ponies. Their scents make me sick. And now my fingers smell of Butter Kiss.

I need to sell her before she drives me nuts. Sigh.

Mine are kept closeted away in the cupboard where they cannot pollute the room, but I genuinely think that a Sundae Best outside of quarantine conditions are potentially lethal weapons which, if deployed strategically, could make the most resolute opponent surrender and beg for mercy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal