collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404713 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #615 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
A manticore that looks like a pony?

I would welcome anything in G4 that looks like a pony :P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »
A manticore that looks like a pony?

I would welcome anything in G4 that looks like a pony :P

I'd welcome a pony that actually looks like a pony again.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 12, 2017, 06:17:06 AM »
I prefer the EQG dolls to the minis :B Can't stand the minis, haha.

I hope this isn't too controversial; but for unpopular opinions, I am not comfortable with the legality of Genie, Puppy Luv, and Kitty Luv (etc.).

I'm glad it's not just me.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 19, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
I wanted boys with proper hair, but now that Hasbro's making them, they're in the hideous reboot pose. And they all have roached manes, which I thoroughly despise.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #619 on: November 20, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
The only time I am really picky about the toys looking exactly like they do in the show is when the toys are way off like the pink Celestia toys. That didn't make any sense because she's white in the show but the first toys of her were all pink.

I don't mind differences in G1 between the toys and the show. Most of them are pretty accurate to the corresponding toy except for hair colors,  I think one of the sea ponies in Rescue from Midnight Castle was colored a little differently than the toy. The one that matches Bowtie's colors.

Ponyfan
Fizzy has her hair different in the show as for Whizzer... so l rehaired my toys. I grew up watching the tv show and not the comics so for me the canon should be tv (regarding hair and colors l mean).

For me the canon is the backcard story as it comes with the toy, but the comics/tv shows sometimes follow them and sometimes don't...

I think the idea of show accuracy is a modern concept because of G4. For that reason I dislike it (that's my unpopular opinion). Ponies don't have to match the show or the comic. It is a bit of a problem if they don't match their own backcards, though (as happens at times in the UK >.>)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 20, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »
Well, with G4 the toys and show are based on the same design art (instead of the animators' interpretations of the toys). Celestia was designed as white, but the big retail chains initially insisted on her toys being pink before they'd stock her because according to their Marketer Logic (which is different from real logic) girls' toys like that need to be pink to sell well. Marketer Logic like that is also why her title is Princess.

I don't really have anything unpopular to contribute myself here, unless "I like BBE babies and tinsel" counts.

I have several things that would be unpopular on brony forums, though. And that's one of several reasons I don't bother with those.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 21, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
I agree with Taffeta on show accurate toys. Even if the hair colors were different on the animated versions you still knew it was Fizzy Whizzer or Sewinkle. 

The only time show accurate toys bothered me was with the early pink Celestia toys when she was clearly white. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 22, 2017, 05:05:00 AM »
For me it's if it's a drastic change, regardless of what came first.  I tend to know the show's version first, even though I know that most fans focus on the toyline first, but I don't follow the G4 toys much.  I look at things like Friendship Castle and the toy looks nothing like the show's version, which is strange, because the show version looks like it would make a beautiful toy.

It is even stranger that the people who hated the castle said it was just a ploy to sell toys, because even if it was, they made the toy look like a new thing anyway, so what exactly were they advertising in the show?  Paradise Estate was thrown into G1 in a rather "check this new thing out" kind of way, but at least the toy and the show version look like the same thing.  I'm sure there's differences, but you can tell what you're getting.

I know that most people here start with the toys, especially in pre-G4, but I'm sure there are kids who were fans of the G4 cartoon first, so some of them are going to expect one thing, and get another.

G4 in general seemed to be the worse for show accuracy, in my opinion.  Not only did the Pink Celestia happen, but some of the early non-royal ponies looked very little like the animated version - in fact, they looked like deer.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 22, 2017, 05:41:20 AM »
G4's art design is partly to blame with accuracy issues on the ponies. The standard head of non-royal ponies is heavily stylized with a huge eye section and a very stubby muzzle, even moreso than G3.5. I personally think they did an alright job capturing the shape with the headsculpt, but the printing could be off early on. And then there's the fact that G4's animation, especially on the first couple seasons, is really guilty of cheated angle - a toy, since it's an actual physical object, can't duplicate that. As for stuff like the castle, there's obviously some kind of disconnect in the art and design departments. Possibly beta designs being used (that pops up a lot with Transformers), or maybe a complete lack of communication. I guess maybe it's a risk of the concurrent design process for animation and toys, where the art department creates a design and then the animators and toy designers start at the same time from that - revisions and redesigns can fail to get passed along, or the toy designers might be given incomplete information. G1 worked differently - the toy designers would develop a toy, and then the animators would look at that toy and create an artistic interpretation of it for the show.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 22, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »
In older generations animation was done from the toys and so it was generally done from prototypes. I have no idea with G4 whether there was anything like that involved or if they tried to make a castle based on the animation, but I suspect that the reason there are differences relates to initial sketches or prototypes of products as the TV series is still, essentially, product placement for Hasbro, just with a slightly different weight of focus in their publicity campaign. Hasbro still ultimately want to sell toys.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
In fairness to the toys, the Friendship Rainbow Kingdom actually does resemble the non-tree part of the castle. The tower roofs, fences, and gate match up with what's seen on the show version, though of course liberties were taken with color and also with adding the slide for more play value.

My image searching for pics of that also turned up images of a "Twilight's Kingdom" playset that's a bit more compressed so as to incorporate the tree section, and is somehat closer to the show color scheme.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:31:27 AM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 24, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
I don't like Honeysuckle, Lily, Wingsong and Cloud Puff. I wish they'd made more Flutters on the Wingsong and Cloud Puff poses.

I love chartruese and I think its factory name, Electric Banana is hilarious!

I like the Sweet Talkin Ponies.

I'd rather have JUST  the Soda Sippin's accessories. Though if I had to have the ponies, I'd be super evil and pay someone to fill in and paint their ridiculous, upper lip holes.

As I have slowly been exposed to Moomins, I realize that Friendly and Eager's mould, kinda-sorta reminds me of the claymation version of the Groke, only more cheerful-like. Plus, I'd switch out a bushwoolie or two and stick the princess with a mould I like more.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:22:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:31 AM »
Lets not forget that the g1 animation committed some shocking faux pas over playsets, including how baby Cuddles entered Lullabye nursery but ended up in Paradise Estate (or vice versa) so animators are not always reliable for rhat product representation.

If we are talking flutter poses, I don,t like the Cloud Puff pose. I feel like she has mumps. I am pretty sure that pose put me off buying Wind Drifter and onto buying Tropi as a child.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 29, 2017, 06:45:06 AM »
Lets not forget that the g1 animation committed some shocking faux pas over playsets, including how baby Cuddles entered Lullabye nursery but ended up in Paradise Estate (or vice versa) so animators are not always reliable for rhat product representation.

I've never noticed that before and now I want to rewatch the whole series to try and find it..

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 29, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

I've never noticed that before and now I want to rewatch the whole series to try and find it..

I found it. I had to screenshot part of the scene. :) It's from Revolt of Paradise Estate

Baby Cuddles sees the window on the side of the Lullabye Nursery

Baby Cuddles gets in Lullabye Nursery's basement

Baby Cuddles is in Paradise Estate Maybe there was a secret passage way?  :lol:

I'm not a big fan of Sweet Scoops. She's pretty, but she's very similar to Sundae Best Sherbet. They could be twin sisters.

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:05:39 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal