collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407199 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2220 on: April 12, 2021, 01:27:44 PM »
In the UK comics it was perfectly normal for earth and pegasus ponies to be as magical or more so than unicorns. Magic Star is the most magical pony of all of them according to the fact file, and she's an earth pony. It's only the G1 animation that pigeonholes magic to unicorns as far as I know. Probably even the US backcards include magic for the other species, because a lot of the UK comic concepts, at least early on, came from US card stories too.

I never liked Megan nor the tie-in to the human world that the animation went in for so much. I liked much more the idea of ponyland alongside all these other lands inhabited by pixies and sprites and so on.

I think Midnight Dream's point is interesting as well - appreciating FIM but not as a pony series.

I admit, I don't like FIM really, but it's the first time I've heard someone talk about it like that.

The idea that the G4 pony line was boring is definitely not an unpopular opinion ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:29:35 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 12, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »

I never liked Megan nor the tie-in to the human world that the animation went in for so much. I liked much more the idea of ponyland alongside all these other lands inhabited by pixies and sprites and so on.

I'm glad it's not just me! Every time I watch the G1 cartoons I'm so excited...until Megan and her siblings show up lol, it really kills the vibe.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: April 12, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I don't like the Megan doll. I had her, wanted her in fact as a child after seeing her character in the movie; I even saved up my horseshoe points for the SS mail order one, but then once she showed up I thought the doll itself was kind of ugly. Would have liked her more if they had used a prettier doll.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 13, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »
I remember deliberately blanking Sundance when working out what ponies I wanted because she came with Megan. I don't even know why I hated her so much. Maybe I was jealous she got to hang out with the ponies. Or maybe it was an extension of the passionate hatred I had as a kid for blond haired blue eyed dolls, because that was literally all there were in stores in the UK in the 1980s. (I was blond haired and blue eyed, but I never wanted toys that looked like me. Hence, well, ponies. I digress).

But although she made occasional appearances and her name appeared sometimes on mail in response letters or the comic letter pages etc, Megan hardly ever appeared in the comic. All the humanoid characters in the comics belonged in the world that Ponyland was a part of. Characters like Wizard Wantall and the Weather Witch were both humanoid, but not 'human' in that they didn't come from our world.

That suited me better.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 13, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
Not sure if these are unpopular opinions but I really don’t like g3 that much I try to get into it but I can’t they look like cheaper g1 ponies some are okay I guess I just don’t like their bodies and poses also I love g3.5 the first time I saw them I thought they were the most adorable thing ever also I feel like every new toy for every generation looks cheaper and cheaper and I really dislike the g5 style so far the toys look even worse than previous generations the 3D style looks cute but I just can’t get used to the 2d style at all they look so soulless and have zero personality and really g5 doesn’t even feel like my little pony they look more Disney like also I love the bow tie pose
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:22:01 PM by ponyprincess2021 »

Offline Queen Sophie

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 14, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »
I feel ya there with g5, I’m fine with the 3d models but the 2d art isn’t my favorite style.
I was also very disappointed when they changed the style because I really liked the leak designs in 2017! (I’m thinking of making a custom to make it look like the design)

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 14, 2021, 11:11:25 AM »
I never saw the 2017 leaks I just thought that people were making fake ones for g5
Also I think they made the artist draw that way because there’s a video showing what their art actually looks like and it was hard to believe they were the same the artist could’ve definitely drew something better
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:05:31 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

Offline Annichen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Soft Pony
  • G1 MLP 4 life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 21, 2021, 06:43:33 AM »
I don't consider non-G1 as MLP  :lookround:  I love my 80s stuff !

Yessss...come on, hate me  :shocked:

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 21, 2021, 07:14:42 AM »
I don’t care about collectible integrity. I don’t care if you’ve broken a pony’s seal and replaced the washer and filled it up with googly eyes or whatever. I prefer a cleaned pony to an authentic, untampered one.

Of course I have a pretty small collection and am more of a customizer anyway, soooo
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 21, 2021, 08:09:31 AM »

Yessss...come on, hate me  :shocked:
I can kind of understand since g1 was the original I'm not sure if my pretty pony counts as an actual generation

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 21, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »
I don’t care about collectible integrity. I don’t care if you’ve broken a pony’s seal and replaced the washer and filled it up with googly eyes or whatever. I prefer a cleaned pony to an authentic, untampered one.

Of course I have a pretty small collection and am more of a customizer anyway, soooo

Better googly eyes,  then animal poo and pot.  :biggrin:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 22, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »

To me G1 will always be the best but I also like G2 and G3.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 24, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »

I would definitely rather have a clean and rehaired pony with touched up eyes over a dingy one with frizzed out hair and eye rubs.

Being filled with googly eyes seems like a good bonus tbh.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 25, 2021, 10:17:42 AM »
I guess I have the opposite opinion. I think this is an unpopular opinion these days though...

But I feel like it matters when you take something out of the community, or permanently alter it in some way that could impact someone else down the line.

I've been here so long that I've seen so many people say, it's my personal item, I'll never sell it so it doesn't matter. ANd most all of those people did sell their ponies and did leave.

So for me I'll always be on the side of 'do no harm'.

Of course, a rusty or mouldy pony is not harmed by being decapitated and cleaned. I just don't believe in doing damage to ponies that don't need it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 25, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »
I guess I have the opposite opinion. I think this is an unpopular opinion these days though...

But I feel like it matters when you take something out of the community, or permanently alter it in some way that could impact someone else down the line.

I've been here so long that I've seen so many people say, it's my personal item, I'll never sell it so it doesn't matter. ANd most all of those people did sell their ponies and did leave.

So for me I'll always be on the side of 'do no harm'.

Of course, a rusty or mouldy pony is not harmed by being decapitated and cleaned. I just don't believe in doing damage to ponies that don't need it.
Off with their heads!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal