collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 104
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 178948 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2145 on: November 30, 2020, 08:14:26 PM »
I don't know why I remember Tales as being made to market in Europe, but I remember thinking that when I caught a part of it way back when.

Maybe because the characters that were made into toys were only sold in Europe?  :shrug:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #2146 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
I don't know why I remember Tales as being made to market in Europe, but I remember thinking that when I caught a part of it way back when.

Maybe because the characters that were made into toys were only sold in Europe?  :shrug:
I wouldn't have known about the toys. No internet back then.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2147 on: November 30, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »

I wouldn't have known about the toys. No internet back then.

I always think this is one of the fun discussion points of G1.
I first watched Tales when I was 13. That would've been..1995? It aired on a cable channel and my sister's friend taped it and loaned us the tapes one by one.

I always felt a disconnect with the older episodes because of the different names/existence of ponies that weren't in the UK. But I never felt it with Tales, because I had Bright Eyes as a kid, the comics also included Tales stories, and the context - with football and such, but also the name Glowing Magic(al) - was all in keeping with what I already knew from the later end of MLP.

Probably why I liked it better at the time. It did feel like it was targeted at us.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
« Reply #2148 on: November 30, 2020, 10:23:25 PM »
Quote from: MJNSEIFER link=topic=385476.msg1836497#msg1836497

date=1606758362
I don't mind "recycled names" - I never really did for a long time, as I get that they're all different ponies, with the same names (even if they reused the name "because it worked before" or whatever, like it was a marketable name), but also because I've tried naming my own ponies, and some of the names I came up with turned out to be the names of canon ponies.

I actually always liked that they reused certain names over the years. I felt it gave a sense of familiarity, like the older ponies hadn't been forgotten. Even back when I first got online in the late '90s/early '00s I thought the collector community made too much of a deal of it.

Even less comprehensible when it's people in the UK who grew up with those other names.

In Sweden we had the UK release for most of our ponies, so we had those names too. I remember one Swedish collector saying something along the lines of "I used to call this pony Sailaway when I was kid, but when I got online I learned her name was actually Hula Hula", completely unaware the pony was released under a different name here. As if "Sailaway" was just something she had dreamt up as a kid. (Very unlikely for a Swedish kid to come up with that name! :lol:)

My unpopular opinion would probably be that even though I grew up with the UK names (the ones I knew anyway), I still tend to prefer the US names for most of the part. XD (But the Tropical Ponies might be the one set I'll make an exception for.)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
« Reply #2149 on: January 10, 2021, 04:06:28 AM »
I know this probably isn't an unpopular opinion but
Spoiler for tiny rant with very very mild nsfw topic
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:27:28 AM by PrincessKittyDragon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

base by flutterbases on DA

:heart: Instagram is princesssoftpaw! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal