collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407233 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2085 on: April 03, 2020, 11:22:07 AM »
PKW is as ever a treasure to the community with the things she can produce.

I remember a plush Pinkie Pie selling to someone at ponycon a couple of years ago for around the £500 mark. I don't even understand how.

I have some small plushes of characters from an anime and they cost me around $45 each to have made although they are beautifully done. (Back in the days when the exchange rate wasn't hostile). I can understand £120ish for something as elaborate as that Starcatcher but £500 for a Pinkie Pie...? Yeah, it was a large Pinkie Pie but still...?
Exactly this. If Customisers like PKW can price fairly, why are other fan-made Customs going for prices like THAT??? Mind boggles...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #2086 on: April 07, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
On another unpopular note - people wax lyrical about the US packaging, but I think the UK packaging for 1986 and 1987 is the prettiest pony package art ever done. Not just because of the ponies but the whole concept.

YES, the early UK art is much prettier. More colourfull!  Then again, I like the later US art better (when Europe got the cards with borders..)
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2087 on: April 07, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »
On another unpopular note - people wax lyrical about the US packaging, but I think the UK packaging for 1986 and 1987 is the prettiest pony package art ever done. Not just because of the ponies but the whole concept.

YES, the early UK art is much prettier. More colourfull!  Then again, I like the later US art better (when Europe got the cards with borders..)

I like the art on the border cards but it only focuses in on the one pony in the set, rather than all of them, which is a bit sad.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: April 07, 2020, 12:15:42 PM »

I like the art on the border cards but it only focuses in on the one pony in the set, rather than all of them, which is a bit sad.
Tell me about it!!! The only way to get art of the others is off the sides of boxes. If a certain set was sold on cards, you got a drawing of ONE & that was it!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: April 07, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »

Tell me about it!!! The only way to get art of the others is off the sides of boxes. If a certain set was sold on cards, you got a drawing of ONE & that was it!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Yes. BUT those with boxes rather than cards (like the Glittering SHS Ponies) have very pretty art.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: April 07, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »

Yes. BUT those with boxes rather than cards (like the Glittering SHS Ponies) have very pretty art.
Agreed!!! Can't get enough of side-cards for the later Ponies!!!

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: April 08, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
From what I’ve heard why the g2 ponies didn’t sell well it’s because of their body type, they didn’t like the long tall poses, but for me I really like it because I like tall elegant poses.
G2 is one of my favorite body types and g4 with the taller ponies

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 06, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
Despite being more Mane Suxx, I really like the Retro M6 Pack. The hair is leagues better.

I sometimes think the older fandom complains too much. Yes I include myself.

Post Merge: May 06, 2020, 09:04:45 AM

PKW is as ever a treasure to the community with the things she can produce.

I remember a plush Pinkie Pie selling to someone at ponycon a couple of years ago for around the £500 mark. I don't even understand how.

I have some small plushes of characters from an anime and they cost me around $45 each to have made although they are beautifully done. (Back in the days when the exchange rate wasn't hostile). I can understand £120ish for something as elaborate as that Starcatcher but £500 for a Pinkie Pie...? Yeah, it was a large Pinkie Pie but still...?
Exactly this. If Customisers like PKW can price fairly, why are other fan-made Customs going for prices like THAT??? Mind boggles...

It depends on how much work is done and the quality of the customizers work and what they think is fair to charge.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:04:45 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 06, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
I noticed some people don't like the Dolly Mix Ponies. I love them & think they're lovely for their size, which, note, is pretty small (I think only World's Smallest & maybe G1 Petites are smaller). I wish they'd made more than just the 20 G1s & the Core 7 G3s.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17:03 AM »
I noticed some people don't like the Dolly Mix Ponies. I love them & think they're lovely for their size, which, note, is pretty small (I think only World's Smallest & maybe G1 Petites are smaller). I wish they'd made more than just the 20 G1s & the Core 7 G3s.

I don't have any of them, but they sure do look cute.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »
Don’t like the Mimic Pose or Powder Pose, got a Princess Sparkle I’m trying to get rid off seeing as I’m making a custom of her.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 06, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
I LOVE the Dollymixes!!! Cutest things ever, I so wish they'd made more. Can you imagine how adorable a G4 set would be?!

Also they really are fantastic quality for their size. I've seen bigger toys than that that have multitudes of flaws; Dollymixes are pretty perfect, apart from the odd factory error here and there (yellowtail Minty, earth pony Glory).

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
I LOVE the Dollymixes!!! Cutest things ever, I so wish they'd made more. Can you imagine how adorable a G4 set would be?!

Also they really are fantastic quality for their size. I've seen bigger toys than that that have multitudes of flaws; Dollymixes are pretty perfect, apart from the odd factory error here and there (yellowtail Minty, earth pony Glory).

I would love to get Medley, Gusty and Mainsail.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: October 18, 2020, 07:36:57 AM »
I get annoyed when people say that older pony fans weren't into or influenced by the cartoons. Please speak for yourself. Just because you were not big on them, and did not have your play influenced by them, does not automatically mean the same for every fan. I love them and my play was influenced by them, roughly half of my old toys were in the shows. All of us experienced MLP in our own ways.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:51:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: October 18, 2020, 08:07:28 AM »
I get annoyed when people say that older pony fans weren't into or influenced by the cartoons. Please speak for yourself only. Just because YOU were not big on them, and did not have YOUR play influenced by them, does mean the same for others. I love them and my play was influenced by them.

Did someone say this?

I've never made a secret of the fact I'm a toy and comic person, but I've heard a lot of G1 fans talk about the cartoon. About as many have also said it didn't matter to them. I think it's more a case of not wanting to see older gens defined by the limited range of the G1 cartoon, not a matter of not being influenced by them.

This is not aimed at you, LAW, but it reminds me of some things on this line that bother me.

1. G1 does not haver only one canon, it has many different stories across different regions and mediums. That is the beauty of G1. I really get annoyed when people say (like in the Toys that Made us) that G1 had no canon. I grew up with the comics and that was absolutely a canon that lasted longer than any other G1 "canon". But there was also the G1 cartoon series and Tales, the backcard stories and space for a kid's own imagination as well. Sometimes those themes overlapped and sometimes they didn't. But for me G1 has the most rich and developed 'canon' because it carries so many possibilities, and is not dictated by one overreaching way in which people should view MLP.

ON a similar and maybe hypocritical note, I really don't like when people randomly flash in something from the comics as though it speaks for the whole of G1 overall. I'm talking about when people start talking about Majesty in G1 like her comic persona was universal, or the twinkle eye mine incident, and so on. These happened in a locally produced paper comic in the UK in the 1980s and may have gone to Europe as well. They do not define Majesty or the TE ponies for everyone, nor should they, and are often misrepresented anyway. I am all for people engaging with the comics, but actually engage with the comics, not with a social media post you saw that went viral.

Saw a YT video one time which talked about the TEs in terms of that comic story. It talked about it like it was accepted canon and misreferenced the comic number. Sigh.

On another note - I also like the dollymix, but only the G1 ones.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal