collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 410020 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1995 on: March 11, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
I don't get how its ruining a pony when a practiced and talented person  restores it. If it doesn't ruin old buildings, works of art, dinosaur skeletons, your 30 yo gaming system, or your rusty bike, then it won't ruin a toy.

I understand of course that its unscrupulous to not disclose that it had work done and sell it for full price as mint condition. Or that inexperienced people can muck it up in their quest to learn, but an honest seller and a good restoration is not a bad thing.

I  respect that this is a personal preference for many.

I am fine with restoration so long as it is openly disclosed so that everyone knows where they stand. I don't buy rehairs, but have no issue with other people having/doing them so long as there's a way to identify it. And for some reason that's unpopular, but this is the thread for that. I can't understand how people are happy to rip out all the remaining original hair but flip out about making a small mark on the hoof to indicate a rehair. But that again is just my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 11, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »
-nod- I don't mind restoration, rehairing, whatever, just mark it if you alter it. I mean, I get not wanting to ink up its hooves or w/e, I guess it's that instinctual "aaaaa ponies and pen don't mix!!" reaction... or I know some people have suggested carving a little "RH" or w/e into their hooves... I dunno, I can see how the instinct is to NOT do stuff like that. But, yeah, if you've already rehaired, taken off the head, etc then you've already altered it, it's no longer "original", so what the hell.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:54 PM »
I don't get how its ruining a pony when a practiced and talented person  restores it. If it doesn't ruin old buildings, works of art, dinosaur skeletons, your 30 yo gaming system, or your rusty bike, then it won't ruin a toy.

I understand of course that its unscrupulous to not disclose that it had work done and sell it for full price as mint condition. Or that inexperienced people can muck it up in their quest to learn, but an honest seller and a good restoration is not a bad thing.

I  respect that this is a personal preference for many.

I am fine with restoration so long as it is openly disclosed so that everyone knows where they stand. I don't buy rehairs, but have no issue with other people having/doing them so long as there's a way to identify it. And for some reason that's unpopular, but this is the thread for that. I can't understand how people are happy to rip out all the remaining original hair but flip out about making a small mark on the hoof to indicate a rehair. But that again is just my opinion.

Tattoo Pony.   :cool:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:47:52 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 11, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
-nod- I don't mind restoration, rehairing, whatever, just mark it if you alter it. I mean, I get not wanting to ink up its hooves or w/e, I guess it's that instinctual "aaaaa ponies and pen don't mix!!" reaction... or I know some people have suggested carving a little "RH" or w/e into their hooves... I dunno, I can see how the instinct is to NOT do stuff like that. But, yeah, if you've already rehaired, taken off the head, etc then you've already altered it, it's no longer "original", so what the hell.

Yes! All of this, exactly. You put it so well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 13, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »
I’m pretty sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, and I feel like I’m the only one, but I can’t like the HQG1C ponies. I really love the idea of manufacturing more G1s, and in that regard I’d love to support their business, but the colors and themes don’t feel like Mlp to me, they just do nothing for me, I’m sorry to say!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 13, 2020, 08:29:40 AM »
Rapunzel's continued popularity baffles me. Whenever the topic comes up, very few people say they like her! But she's been a highly sought after, expensive pony since I began collecting in the early 00s. It's funny that a pony so few people seem to actually like remains so popular.

My unpopular opinion is that I don't like (g1) Spike. He's whiny and annoying. The entire series could have done without the human kids.

I've always loved the flutter pony toys, but the Flutter Valley episodes are some of my least favorite.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 13, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
I agree that Megan and co are unnecessary. I like Spike in the comic, because he had his friendship with Baby Lucky, the paws and claws club and stuff, as well as his work with Majesty, rather than just being a squawky thing that popped up occasionally with no real purpose in the animation. Megan was also better in the comic, but she was hardly IN the comic...I always hated her for being the person who got to go play with ponies though, so I am biased xD.

Rapunzel seems to be a status symbol now which is sad. If I hadn't got mine years ago for a good trade I wouldn't be chasing after her.

My unpopular opinion is that Sweet Scoops is 100% nicer. And I don't care for the Sundae Best, with their mutated poses and weird 3d symbols (not to mention poison scents), but Sweet Scoops has all the charm that Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet struggles with. On the other hand, Glittering Gem is way nicer and much cheaper than Rapunzel.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 13, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
The Brush and Grow ponies make me sad. Their color schemes are among my absolute favorites, almost all top notch.  But they have all of my least favorite poses (seriously, if Pretty Vision was in the Tootsie pose it would be 6/6) and symbols that are associated with vanity (the literal piece of furniture and the surrounding accoutrements, not the concept of) and toiletries just don't do anything for me.

The Firefly pegasus pose has the best wings, even if they don't look connected to the body, but that weird hoof outline on the bent leg drives me insane to the point that I can't display those ponies on that side. The Locket pose is the cutest pegasus pose but has the worst wing sculpt (next to the baby Lofty pose).  The Heart Throb pose has really solid wings, but ponies in that pose always remind me of bored teenagers, just kinda staring at you. Silently judging.

The Tiny Bubbles mold and the baby Ballerina mold have the friendliest faces of all the ponies.

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »
I’m not into the mint package. I prefer to hold the pony and take pictures of her.

Offline kellybates1993

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 15, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
Rapunzel's continued popularity baffles me. Whenever the topic comes up, very few people say they like her! But she's been a highly sought after, expensive pony since I began collecting in the early 00s. It's funny that a pony so few people seem to actually like remains so popular.

My unpopular opinion is that I don't like (g1) Spike. He's whiny and annoying. The entire series could have done without the human kids.

I've always loved the flutter pony toys, but the Flutter Valley episodes are some of my least favorite.
I see this opinion way more than i see people who actually like her and it's so surprising to me that people want her as a status symbol  :huh:
I absolutely adore rapunzel for her colouring and her hair, but I'm pretty obsessed with the story of rapunzel already so maybe that's why she's so appealing to me?
I absolutely refuse to pay the going rate for a real rapunzel and I'm not bothered about the status symbol of an original so im having a fakie made by a lovely arena member and will most certainly have her hoof marked so she is a known fakie, but I totally get why she isn't the pony for everyone, it's just a shame for the people who genuinely want her that she pops up every 6 months or so for like £1000  :(
flutter pony addict

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 15, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »

I see this opinion way more than i see people who actually like her and it's so surprising to me that people want her as a status symbol  :huh:
I absolutely adore rapunzel for her colouring and her hair, but I'm pretty obsessed with the story of rapunzel already so maybe that's why she's so appealing to me?
I absolutely refuse to pay the going rate for a real rapunzel and I'm not bothered about the status symbol of an original so im having a fakie made by a lovely arena member and will most certainly have her hoof marked so she is a known fakie, but I totally get why she isn't the pony for everyone, it's just a shame for the people who genuinely want her that she pops up every 6 months or so for like £1000  :(

Geeze!  :blink:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:13 AM »
I don't get the big deal over Lady Bird and Lambaditsa. They're okay.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 18, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
Same.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »
Same.

I dunno. I'm just not really find of that color scheme. Peach and pink are just so-so. All peach and peach and blue is pretty though. And peach/radioactive red/white works remarkably well, even though it shouldn't.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:32:12 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 18, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »

Agreed. Sitting ponies are meh, Peachy is meh, Sitting pony plus peachy = meh squared.

Though I feel superficially smug that people still use the name ladybird after all these years
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal