collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407826 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1815 on: November 04, 2019, 11:42:08 AM »
I'm not crazy about the G1 Pegasus sets. Why did they only get four ponies when the Earthies and Unicorns got 8? Why only 2 poses when the others got 4? I don't dislike them, but they just don't grab me. Also, I wish Medley had been reissued on the Paradise pose.

More Medleys? Sold :D

I would have liked her in another pose too. I love her but yeah :/ Firefly got one. And she's not even half as nice as Medley. (Hey, it is the unpopular opinion thread so I can say that xD)

I don't find Firefly iconic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1816 on: November 04, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »
I am incredibly charmed by the G4.75 ponies, buut I do tend to love the weirder ponies because they look...weird.
I don't find Firefly iconic.
I don't think I can really speak on that because she's...been forced to be iconic as far as I can remember, but I do think she's quite boring visually. I've also had my opinion of her soured because she's, like, the "cooool" pony in the sea of girly ponies or whatever (which she isn't, but man is she clung to by the Brownies). There are plenty other ponies that are interesting and more iconic (Cotton Candy??), but this one kicked the villain because G1 was metal.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 04, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Firefly's adventure Firefly is much prettier. Pose and everything. She has a much better color scheme.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 04, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Firefly's adventure Firefly is much prettier. Pose and everything. She has a much better color scheme.

I basically agree. I would have loved Medley in this pose.

As for Firefly's iconic status, over here RaMC was on VHS when I was a kid but not on TV, and we never had that set released here as toys, so it was basically the UK stories and UK comics that we had about Firefly overall. (And the Bronies like to trample all over those like they own them in their obsession with 'What Majesty Could Do In G1'...but Firefly had some idiot moments where she needed rescuing for being reckless or getting into trouble.

At least once by Medley.

I dunno. Firefly just never seemed that important or special to me.

(As for the Majesty thing - I dunno if this is a valid unpopular opinion but I wish the brony community would leave that alone. That, and the TEs being enslaved in the cave thing. I have seen it a couple of times, people claiming those as core parts of "G1 canon"...but G1 canon as a whole thing doesn't exist, and Majesty and the TEs came from the comics I grew up with...

They're not tools in whatever FIM related analysis is top of the list today. It's not that I don't want the comic stuff to be shared around but if you're going to cherry pick stuff from the UK comics, at least bother to know what you're talking about before you do it...?

I've seen a  few "everyone knows that Majesty was x/the tE ponies were enslaved in mines...etc" posts (and one youtube video that cites the wrong comic for the TE thing while making out it's something core to G1) and it's just annoying to me.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 04, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
Yeah, I don't get why a lot of G4 fans act like there's one, single, sole, G1 canon. There's lots of different G1 continuities! It's far from the only series/franchise/etc that has multiple continuities (Sailor Moon, anyone?). The pit pony backstory for the TEs is awesome (?? feels weird to describe something like that as "awesome", but... you get what I'm saying), but it's not the only backstory for them, guys! Not that I have any problem with mixing-and-matching stuff from various continuities (IMO that's half the fun of ponies, making up your own idea of Ponyland.. I've probably said before that that's one reason I dislike how show-centric G4 is), but acknowledge that you're doing that instead of just acting like these were universal concepts, dangit! :p

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 04, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
Yeah, I don't get why a lot of G4 fans act like there's one, single, sole, G1 canon. There's lots of different G1 continuities! It's far from the only series/franchise/etc that has multiple continuities (Sailor Moon, anyone?). The pit pony backstory for the TEs is awesome (?? feels weird to describe something like that as "awesome", but... you get what I'm saying), but it's not the only backstory for them, guys! Not that I have any problem with mixing-and-matching stuff from various continuities (IMO that's half the fun of ponies, making up your own idea of Ponyland.. I've probably said before that that's one reason I dislike how show-centric G4 is), but acknowledge that you're doing that instead of just acting like these were universal concepts, dangit! :p

Yes! That's it exactly. Thank you for putting it so nicely and much more clearly than I could :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 04, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
It's probably the same reason they view the G4 comics as "non-canon".  My Little Pony has often had more than one continuity, that can be considered it's own canon (backcards, comics, cartoon to name what I would say are the obvious three.)

I'm sure not all bronies are like this, but I have noticed ones who are.  I think those ones are still relatively new to how things work, but hey... at least they're showing some love to the past gens.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 05, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
But that doesn't make sense... they acknowledge that G4 can (and does) have multiple continuities (idk if "continuities" is exactly the right word here, since they're just different offshoots of the *same* continuity, but you get what I mean) and then with G1 they... don't, it's odd.

(snip)

Yes! That's it exactly. Thank you for putting it so nicely and much more clearly than I could :D

ah, np :o I'm glad I got my point across coherently, heh.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
It's probably the same reason they view the G4 comics as "non-canon".  My Little Pony has often had more than one continuity, that can be considered it's own canon (backcards, comics, cartoon to name what I would say are the obvious three.)

I'm sure not all bronies are like this, but I have noticed ones who are.  I think those ones are still relatively new to how things work, but hey... at least they're showing some love to the past gens.

I am with Carrehz on this. There are so many double and triple standards over how all pony stuff is presented by large swathes of the bronyverse (and I acknowledge not all, but even some of the not crazy ones think they 'understand' G1 by talking about these 'G1 canon' moments.

For me especially, having grown up with that version of Majesty, they really don't have a clue what the comics say about her or how they render her character overall. They just pick two or three examples and then weave them into something that suits their argument. Claiming it's 'G1 canon'. It's just one version and only one slither of that version. In a sense it's no different from them writing fanfiction and claiming it as "pony fact"?

Not least the small detail that the largest G1 pony community is in the US and the toy is a US toy and that version of Majesty never existed stateside.

It's also like claiming Tales is G2 because they want it to be. I hate MLP being defined through animated series by pony fans who mostly don't care about anything prior to G4, but want to neatly confine everything by G4 rules because of a misconception that's how all MLP is defined.

As I said before, it's a case of knowing what you're talking about before making sweeping assumptions. Like pretending you understand or respect something by dropping a few random details about it while still keeping it at arm's length.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:02:58 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 06, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »
It's also like claiming Tales is G2 because they want it to be.

This annoys me so much it should go into the trivial complaints thread :lol:
Like... HOW can G1 toy characters be part of a G2 cartoon but have zero appearance in the actual G2 toyline. Riddle me this. Is it really so hard to accept that G2 didn't have a cartoon show? Only three clicks on the internet could tell them this.
Click 1: Search tab
Click 2: Enter "MyLittleWiki"
Click 3: Select "G2" link

I used to watch FiM on a German site hosting all sorts of MLP media and since it is run by Bronies they call Tales "G2" and the G3 specials are listed as "episodes" of a fictional G3 show.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 06, 2019, 07:21:57 AM »

Like... HOW can G1 toy characters be part of a G2 cartoon but have zero appearance in the actual G2 toyline. Riddle me this. Is it really so hard to accept that G2 didn't have a cartoon show? Only three clicks on the internet could tell them this.

I used to watch FiM on a German site hosting all sorts of MLP media and since it is run by Bronies they call Tales "G2" and the G3 specials are listed as "episodes" of a fictional G3 show.

Because retconners are idiots.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 06, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »

:iconclap: to both these posts.

The G2 thing I add to my list of "reasons to lose respect in a brony person".

If they want to engage with earlier generations and such, that's awesome and I don't knock it.

But do it on the terms of that generation, don't trample your own assumptions over it like you know better.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 06, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

:iconclap: to both these posts.

The G2 thing I add to my list of "reasons to lose respect in a brony person".

If they want to engage with earlier generations and such, that's awesome and I don't knock it.

But do it on the terms of that generation, don't trample your own assumptions over it like you know better.

Precisely!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1828 on: November 06, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
I corrected someone gently on Tumblr when they tagged their Tales comic as "MLP G2" and they posted something about "angry anon hate when all I'm doing is my own thing" and then deleted their complaint.
It's still tagged as G2.
I can appreciate Bronies/G4 fans looking at the older gens-heck, I'm into older MLP because I was a G4 fan who looked at the earlier gens-but when they just praise G1 endlessly because of the show and then give G3 no credit it just makes my eyes roll. :awake: I think a lot of the issue is they're trying to find a generation with the same marketing/style with regards to the show/toy relationship as they do G4. G3 specials are lovely in my opinion but they don't do much and to disregard the whole generation (who has arguably the best color/character design in the franchise) because of it just stinks.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 06, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
I probably didn't explain my point well - I meant that it's probably similar to how those kind of bronies seem to view the comics as "non-canon" which is an incorrect term, in my opinion, as the comics are a canon of their own.  From what I can gather, they don't see G4 as having separate continuities, just a canon and non-canon one.

So they probably assume that all the other generations have only one canon as well.  This is total guess work, but this is how I assume it went, I could be totally wrong.

On the My Little Pony Tales subject, I think it's mainly just that they don't realize that the generation thing is based on the toys, so they see this cartoon that doesn't go anywhere else, so they assume it's G2.  Of course, if they are ignorant to be corrected, then I get what is being said here.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal