collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 409539 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1665 on: August 05, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »
According to my G1 guidebook, they were intended to be even younger than the newborn baby ponies.  I... I'm sorry, exactly HOW do you get younger than a newborn?? Are they fetus ponies?!

:lmao:

Maybe they were meant to be premie babies but I'd never heard they were supposed to be younger than newborns!

I am trying to remember what the UK cards say about these. It's really stupid. It's like one pony said, they're teeny, and another said they're weeny, so they got called teeny weeny ponies. But I have this feeling that may be accurate, that they were meant to be the youngest somehow? I guess the newborns grew up a bit by the time they came along?

In any case I remember I got Rattles (white one, can't remember what the US calls her) for Christmas in 1992. Which is not exciting or important except she came as a freebie with the Kitchen playset. I don't know why Woolworths thought a teeny baby pony unsupervised in a kitchen was a good idea, but there you go.

I miss Woolworths.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »
I don't really like ponies who have a different mane color than tail color.  I'm not talking about ponies with a stripe in their mane but ponies who have a pink mane and a purple tail (for example).  It looks off to me.  Why couldn't they just use the same color?

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 05, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Ah, Woolworths. Gone, but certainly not forgotten in our hearts  :cry: Wilko is trying to be you, but no-one will ever be you.

I think Twilight Sparkle is honestly Lauren Faust's stand-in character, and once I made a joke about her mane resembling Lauren Fausticorn's mane, the idea stuck. I still don't get why she is being made Princess of All Equestria; I feel the Dusk and Dawn plot could have worked better if Twilight was left in charge and it was simply Luna and Celestia going on holiday/vacation, but clearly coming back. Heck, it could have been a lesson to kids about what it's like when mom and dad leave you in charge of the house while they're gone!

(Yeah they covered that a bit in Somepony To Watch Over Me but Applejack's paranoia was center-stage and Applebloom was at first very responsible)

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1668 on: August 05, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »
I don't particularly care for teeny tiny baby ponies either. According to my G1 guidebook, they were intended to be even younger than the newborn baby ponies. I... I'm sorry, exactly HOW do you get younger than a newborn?? Are they fetus ponies?!

Maybe they were meant to be premie babies but I'd never heard they were supposed to be younger than newborns!

I adore Teeny Tiny ponies, but yeah it is odd that they're clearly younger than what's referred to as the "newborn" ponies. As a result I think of the actual newborns as being the Teeny Tinies, "Newborns" as just being babies, and the normal "baby" ponies as being moreso toddlers, like the pony equivalent of a three year old child or something.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 05, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
I don't particularly care for teeny tiny baby ponies either. According to my G1 guidebook, they were intended to be even younger than the newborn baby ponies. I... I'm sorry, exactly HOW do you get younger than a newborn?? Are they fetus ponies?!

I adore Teeny Tiny ponies, but yeah it is odd that they're clearly younger than what's referred to as the "newborn" ponies. As a result I think of the actual newborns as being the Teeny Tinies, "Newborns" as just being babies, and the normal "baby" ponies as being moreso toddlers, like the pony equivalent of a three year old child or something.

I also see the babies like Baby Firefly, Baby Moondancer, Baby Lemon Drop etc.. as being toddler age.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 06, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »
Ah, Woolworths. Gone, but certainly not forgotten in our hearts  :cry: Wilko is trying to be you, but no-one will ever be you.

So much this.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »
I may not be a very huge fan of G3, but I seriously believe that G3 Pinkie Pie is a much better written character than G4 Pinkie Pie.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
I may not be a very huge fan of G3, but I seriously believe that G3 Pinkie Pie is a much better written character than G4 Pinkie Pie.
I like both of them, but G4 Pinkie Pie doesn't seem like an easy character to write (according to my friend/pen pal/writing partner, she's not.)  The ultimate problem seems to be knowing how silly and "random" you're supposed to make her.

I think she was her best in seasons 1 and 2 - she was silly enough, and (for me at least) was only annoying if the joke required her to be (making it a "good" annoying - it affects the characters, not me.)  She also wasn't really random, she just seemed that way at times, and she made some level of her own version of sense, it was shown that she was the kind of pony who thought others would get what she meant, so she didn't need to explain things (though I think she also said things that were simply silly because it was fun - Element of Laughter, and all that), but the further she went on she just seemed too random, like she was there for the throwaway jokes, and that was it.  I even have a joke theory that they have Mirror Pinkie with them now, and don't realise it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:26:24 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 09, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
I like both of them, but G4 Pinkie Pie doesn't seem like an easy character to write (according to my friend/pen pal/writing partner, she's not.)  The ultimate problem seems to be knowing how silly and "random" you're supposed to make her.

I think she was her best in seasons 1 and 2 - she was silly enough, and (for me at least) was only annoying if the joke required her to be (making it a "good" annoying - it affects the characters, not me.)  She also wasn't really random, she just seemed that way at times, and she made some level of her own version of sense, it was shown that she was the kind of pony who thought others would get what she meant, so she didn't need to explain things (though I think she also said things that were simply silly because it was fun - Element of Laughter, and all that), but the further she went on she just seemed too random, like she was there for the throwaway jokes, and that was it.  I even have a joke theory that they have Mirror Pinkie with them now, and don't realise it.

If she was genuinely random and funny she would be easy to write. The problem is she's not, thus its forced, thus capturing that forced notfunny funny would make it much harder. It's not random, it's following predictable outlines and obvious joke triggers, which is very difficult to write because it's unnatural. Characters should flow and develop themselves, but someone is constantly putting a leash on Pinkie Pie to keep her stuck in the same few moves. At least, my impression from 2 and a half seasons, plus odd episodes, plus movie...she has zero development and is not random or funny because she's tied to those rules.

You can't be random and tied to a framework. Random can't be a framework. Thus she's not random, thus it doesn't work. So many things these days try to 'be random' or 'express your random side'...and none of them are actually random.

I hope that makes sense.

If not, my basic unpopular opinion is G4 Pinkie Pie isn't random.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1674 on: August 09, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »

Pinkie was my favourite character when FiM first came out, and then after the second season, I got tired of her, and Rarity has been my favourite since. Her and Applejack, I like the more mature characters. I used to like Twilight too but something about her eventually got to me and now I don't care for her. Not sure what it is.

As for Pinkie, do they think squeally high-pitched character screaming= funny? That's the only thing I associate with her anymore, is her squealing... Andrea Libman's "Pinkie voice" isn't so bad when it's at a normal level, like G3 Zipzee's voice is actually cute imo.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:58 PM »
I really liked the characters in the first two-three seasons, but they lost their shine as time went on.  I didn’t want to watch them become less interesting and more complicated in the name of character development nor did I want to keep watching them do the same thing over and over again. 

Perhaps it would have been better if they had moved on to other ponies and did a few episodes and cameos with the main 6?   It would had been pretty cool to see how other ponies/animals lived without the 6 jumping in to “fix” things.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 10, 2019, 12:19:38 AM »
I really liked the characters in the first two-three seasons, but they lost their shine as time went on.  I didn’t want to watch them become less interesting and more complicated in the name of character development nor did I want to keep watching them do the same thing over and over again. 

Perhaps it would have been better if they had moved on to other ponies and did a few episodes and cameos with the main 6?   It would had been pretty cool to see how other ponies/animals lived without the 6 jumping in to “fix” things.

I guess they were also tied to the archetypes?

I only watched those early seasons and I found the characters didn't evolve much with experience and you could watch any episode out of sequence and it didn't matter in terms of continuity. I think for some kid's shows that works well, but in a narrative based story like MLP I would have expected some kind of character development over the first 2 and a half seasons. There just wasn't any. Equestria Girls has it (albeit not with Pinkie, admittedly), so I don't really know why FIM didn't except that the writers decided to play safe with what was clearly a winning formula.

If it got worse later on then I'm glad I didn't keep watching but if you keep characters tied too tightly to their trope/archetype, you don't leave wiggle room.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline promqueen

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 10, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Some of my unpopular opinions are:
-I don't get the hype for sea ponies they look weird to me
-I love the sister ponies particularly the prom queen line. They are amongst my favourites
-I don't like the ponies with the crazy markings or sparkles  (glow n show, colorswirl)
-Curly haired ponies are my favourite! (Candy cane, rainbow curl)
- The animal friends are kind of cute in a way but I have mixed feelings and don't get a lot of the hype.
-I love the tropical ponies and think they are super underrated. Their eyeshadow is gorgeous! (I just wish they were scented)
-I generally prefer the ponies from the later half (year 6-12) as opposed to the early half that were released
-I don't like the packaging for the retro 35th anniversary ponies. It's not very true to the original and it's the same kind of box for every line
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:40:02 AM by promqueen »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 11, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
-I generally prefer the ponies from the later half (year 6-12) as opposed to the early half that were released

me too!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:37 PM »
I like the later ponies, too! Nostalgia aside, the later ponies had some nifty gimmicks.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal