collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 410628 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1440 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25:20 AM »
I believe that even with all its animation errors, the original G1 cartoon still looked way better than the new flash series.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:24 AM »
I believe that even with all its animation errors, the original G1 cartoon still looked way better than the new flash series.

honestly, same here... I don't want to rag on FiM or anything (I know it's a Flash thing rather than anything specific to FiM, I have the same problem w/ Lion Guard), but man the walk cycles look so stiff! The G1 animation isn't perfect, sure, but it has some life to it, I like that.

Offline ThePoneZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 17, 2019, 07:38:19 AM »
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but man, I think even G3's animation was just a smidge better. At least their hair moved around when they were in motion and didn't just wave around like wet cardboard, but, I'm also just heavily biased against flash and cheap looking flash-style anyway.

I mean, I love junk like Homestar Runner, but I wouldn't want to be paying to watch it on TV. When Arthur switched to flash, I couldn't watch it anymore because it's so stiff and flat looking now. It's just a bit depressing to see animation kinda... devolving? as time goes on. I never knew how much I'd miss looking at beautifully detailed backgrounds until everything went to Flash/Toonboom and 3D. I know cartoons aren't made for my age range anymore, and money's a bigger issue now, but it still just.. hurts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:04:16 AM by ThePoneZone »
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 17, 2019, 08:05:41 AM »
honestly, same here... I don't want to rag on FiM or anything (I know it's a Flash thing rather than anything specific to FiM, I have the same problem w/ Lion Guard), but man the walk cycles look so stiff! The G1 animation isn't perfect, sure, but it has some life to it, I like that.

What really struck me in the few episodes of the new cartoon that I did watch was how much it recycled literally everything, with the same building pasted in different parts of the screen, or different ponies using the exact same walking cycle, or how overall each character was the same base with different colors and details like out of some video game character creator etc.

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but man, I think even G3's animation was better. At least their hair moved around when they were in motion and didn't just wave around like wet cardboard.

To be honest, I never had any problems with G3 animation, maybe except for the very latest installments of it when Hasbro already decided to switch to Flash.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:09:10 AM by SpacePinto »
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »

It totally does.
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but man, I think even G3's animation was just a smidge better. At least their hair moved around when they were in motion and didn't just wave around like wet cardboard, but, I'm also just heavily biased against flash and cheap looking flash-style anyway.

I mean, I love junk like Homestar Runner, but I wouldn't want to be paying to watch it on TV. When Arthur switched to flash, I couldn't watch it anymore because it's so stiff and flat looking now. It's just a bit depressing to see animation kinda... devolving? as time goes on. I never knew how much I'd miss looking at beautifully detailed backgrounds until everything went to Flash/Toonboom and 3D. I know cartoons aren't made for my age range anymore, and money's a bigger issue now, but it still just.. hurts.

So am I. Can't stand flash. G3's animation is nice to look at, if a little oversaturated. A pity the toon itself is rather bland.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ThePoneZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:34 AM »
So am I. Can't stand flash. G3's animation is nice to look at, if a little oversaturated. A pity the toon itself is rather bland.
Even as someone who adores G3's style, I can agree. I watch them much less often than the G1 toons. They're cute, but there's not much substance beyond that.
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #1446 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
I love tinsel to death, I don't seem to have a big issue with it and it always cooperates for me.
That said, I don't care for the princess ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 19, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »
I hate the way Hasbro names stuff. Every name these days have to be these overly-cutesy compound words slapped together in hopes that it might sound good. I've seen it on some of their LPS toys and its immediately become an obnoxious trend in their Botbots.

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 19, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »
I don't like Truly and Buttons.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 19, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »
 :huh:
I don't like Truly and Buttons.

I'm not fond of Truly either.

Btw, is your avatar the new way of counting sheep? :P I'm pretty sure all those little hooves will knock a person out pretty quick, what with the oncoming concussion and all. XD

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 19, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
I hate the way Hasbro names stuff. Every name these days have to be these overly-cutesy compound words slapped together in hopes that it might sound good. I've seen it on some of their LPS toys and its immediately become an obnoxious trend in their Botbots.

I've noticed that too espeically with Daring Do's toy being offically named Daring Do Dazzle and Mrs Dazzle Cake.

Sometimes I think Habsbro must pull names out of a hat for their characters. :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 19, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »

I've noticed that too espeically with Daring Do's toy being offically named Daring Do Dazzle and Mrs Dazzle Cake.

Sometimes I think Habsbro must pull names out of a hat for their characters. :lol:

Ponyfan

That's a nicer term then what I'd use for where they're pulling names from.  :devious:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 19, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
Btw, is your avatar the new way of counting sheep? :P I'm pretty sure all those little hooves will knock a person out pretty quick, what with the oncoming concussion and all. XD
I like looping things.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1453 on: January 20, 2019, 05:15:39 AM »

Oh, this all day long. I think it's to do with laziness over language, so you have meaningless names in multiple languages rather than an English name that doesn't convey well in other places (albeit this seems applied half-heartedly). Gone are the days when Hasbro not only bothered to name a pony something that was an actual word, they also bothered to translate it for kids in other countries so they actually knew what their pony was called. And yeah, I know there are G1 examples of nutty names, but still. Even if some of them are sappy, many of them do involve actual words and have actual equivalents in other places.

I don't like Gusty. At least, I like her as a basic pony, though I am not obsessive about her. I hate her in the cartoon, though. She's a bully and a grump and completely unlike the Gusty I remember from my childhood, who was kind, empathic, clever and took care of the baby ponies. I really wish we'd had Ribbon instead. I mean, if we were going to get one or the other, which seems probable, I'd rather have had Ribbon...

Also, I really don't want retro versions of the Princess Ponies because they will have bushwoolies and the wrong accessories and the wrong names for what I remember. That is a totally selfish opinion, but in this thread those are allowed, right?

I don't really want to buy any pony or pony item reissued with the 'wrong' name for what I remember growing up with, but for some, like 'Sweetie/Sweet Stuff', I might make an exception. However, I really don't want it with the princess set because I associate the US names with that horrible characterisation of them as spoiled brats in the Quest of the Princess Ponies. I really cannot stand them in that show. Probably even more than Gusty tbh. 

The princesses were beautifully characterised in the comics. Pearl was the sensitive one and the artist. Sapphire the wise one. Aquamarine the dreamer. Ruby the restless one always buzzing around. Amber the one who thought she could solve everything (but rarely could on her own), and Amethyst the one who meant well but always got things messed up somehow. And their dragons each complimented their personalities with personalities of their own - distinct individuals rather than a mass sheep mentality like the bushwoolies have. I love the Bushwoolies but I don't really love the fact they don't have their own personalities. So yeah. That's my really selfish unpopular opinion. No retro princesses please.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 20, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
I don't like Gusty. At least, I like her as a basic pony, though I am not obsessive about her. I hate her in the cartoon, though. She's a bully and a grump and completely unlike the Gusty I remember from my childhood, who was kind, empathic, clever and took care of the baby ponies. I really wish we'd had Ribbon instead. I mean, if we were going to get one or the other, which seems probable, I'd rather have had Ribbon...
I didn't like her as a kid either, although now at least I find her like Bart Simpson voice hilarious.
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal