collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 406884 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1335 on: September 10, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »
Actually there are more then 2 Pegasus poses Ragamuffin.
There is:
Coconut Grove pose
Styling Starcatcher pose
Silver Glow pose
Baby Honolulu pose
Starsong Pose
Heart Bright pose
Star Flite pose
Baby Mochanut pose

Although they should have added more in the other poses. As well as made all the pegasus.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1336 on: September 10, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »
Actually there are more then 2 Pegasus poses Ragamuffin.
There is:
Coconut Grove pose
Styling Starcatcher pose
Silver Glow pose
Baby Honolulu pose
Starsong Pose
Heart Bright pose
Star Flite pose
Baby Mochanut pose

Although they should have added more in the other poses. As well as made all the pegasus.

Silver Glow and Coconut Grove were the two I was talking about specifically. They both have their head to the side, front leg bent, hind leg out, mouth open... if you put them next to each other it's like they're looking in a mirror!
Heart Bright and Star Flight are earth ponies with wings stuck on iirc, and I normally don't count Star Song just for personal reasons (Core7 all use the same pose, Star just has wings and the others don't), but if I do count her, she doesn't help any :P Core7 and the Wysteria pose are my least favourites; they're bland overused standing poses.

Mochanut is very cute and very tiny!!! I wish there were more baby pegasuses released. I love Honolu-loo too. Another unpopular opinion, I like G3 babies. Not enough to go out of my way to collect them (I'd rather save my money for an adult, any gen), but I don't mind the longer legs at all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 10, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »
I see G3 babies on plenty of wishlists. I thought they were popular. I loved collecting them as a kid about as much as I loved collecting white G3s. I still have Honolu-loo but my sister recently sold her Mochanut.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1338 on: September 10, 2018, 11:05:06 PM »
I love G3 babies! I have Honaluloo living here with me in London as one of my select group of ponies here. I think her tiny wings are adorable. I also have Mochanaut. I wish they did baby unicorns...but the babies are all adorable and I want all of them except Tea Lily (because of her known hair rot issues).

I like Star Catcher, I am not sure she's everyone's top G3 pony - but I also agree the fabric wings one is better. I just got Starsong for the first time and her little stubby wings are odd but I like the pegasus ponies and her colours are nice so I don't mind having one. I love the G3 pegasus ponies and want to have all of them, though I had to sell Coconut Grove because I could not stand her scent. One day I will find one that doesn't reek so strongly. Having hypersensitive sense of smell is not a Good Thing where scented ponies are concerned, although at least I'm lucky enough not to deal with some of the extreme reactions some folk here have to scented things.

Unpopular opinion - can do without 'sweet' scents. I love the Perfume Puffs though. Their perfumes don't bother me at all. I also love their hair, which I think is also an unpopular opinion. It takes work to get it neat but it looks awesome all the same.

I agree on the Friendship School. It turned the uncomfortable "never mind we destroyed your ancient priceless cultural artefact, you now have friendship and that's better" cultural insensitivity into "only ponies can teach about friendship". I really don't like that message at all, its telling kids that people who are different, in whatever way, need to be taught stuff to be 'normal'. Like LAW I guess I've been in that position too much as well. The moral message in FIM about how friendship works has been broken from the start for me, which is one reason why some of the people who jumped on the bandwagon rip other people to pieces for 'not understanding friendship properly'. It's not actually teaching about friendship, it's creating tribes of "do" and "don't do". I still think the friendship school and the mane 6 rhetoric is as oppressive as Starlight's. The two episodes that still really bother me are that one with the Griffon artefact and the one where Dash makes the animals race and is horrible to Tank. One is about forcing another people to accept your culture while destroying aspects of theirs. The other is plain animal cruelty.

If you think about it laterally, that ep with Pinkie and Dash and the artefact reflects how the crazier bronies deal with G1. They push their idea that FIM is better while trashing G1...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:09:48 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 11, 2018, 05:18:41 AM »
I don't know where most people stand on this, but I kind of like the look of ponies with always present eyebrows. Tree Hugger for example. Are pony eyebrows unique to G4?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
There's also the FIM episode about the Yaks where the ponies went out of their way to make the Yaks comfortable, the Yaks destroyed everything the ponies did and were quite rude. Pinkie somehow found out what the Yaks wanted and the lesson was supposed to be "when people come to visit, show them what is unique about where you live" In other words the ponies were in the wrong for trying to make their guests feel at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMGXsVhNtQ

I love the first G3 Star Catcher with the fabric wings. I should really find an upgrade as mine has a lot of issues inlcuding wrinkled wings and faded pink hair to white. I really like her in the G3 cartoons especically the one with Skywishes. Baby Honoluloo just became a wishlist pony. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 11, 2018, 06:51:13 AM »
G3 Babies are precious. (Sadly, so is space. :( )

I just got my first G3 baby this year. Honolulu is so cute and she makes an adorable daughter for Paradise. I intend to get Baby Sandy Island and Baby Lavender Locket too. But I can't decide on the 3rd one. Because I also love Penny Candy, Wave Catcher, Bellaluna, Tea Lily, Surf Star and Keen Bean. Stop being so adorable G3 babies, I don't have room for all of you!

FiM moralizing is Hasbro's usual ham fisted attempt to try and teach something, but falling so far off the mark its either harmful or laughable. They really need to quit, because they're too far ahead. I know people rag on Tales for doing the same, but its subtle in comparison. Hopefully, Gen 5 will ditch the life lessons aspect and just make a fun cartoon. That would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:56:14 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1342 on: September 11, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
Tales may be subtle but it is the worst of the MLP shows when it comes to morals.

"If a boy blackmails you, it means he LIKES you!  You should go out with him!"

"A boy who gets jealous of a pig (seriously?) and purposely drives it away from its home to get lost is GREAT boyfriend material!  Animal cruelty is okay if it's a sign that he ~likes~ you!"

"The boy you have a crush on isn't into you?  Remold yourself into what you think he wants instead of being yourself!  The moral is:  it will totally work!"   This episode also had Starlight tell Patch that she still doesn't like soccer right at the end, just to make sure the viewer doesn't forget that what Starlight was getting out of this was A Boyfriend, not pride in her own accomplishments or any kind of personal growth.

Other shows have had some stinkers too, with GARF or the terrible MLP FIM buffalo episode, but MLP Tales had the highest percentage of terrible morals IMO, given how few episodes it actually had.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 11, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
Tales may be subtle but it is the worst of the MLP shows when it comes to morals.

"If a boy blackmails you, it means he LIKES you!  You should go out with him!"

"A boy who gets jealous of a pig (seriously?) and purposely drives it away from its home to get lost is GREAT boyfriend material!  Animal cruelty is okay if it's a sign that he ~likes~ you!"

"The boy you have a crush on isn't into you?  Remold yourself into what you think he wants instead of being yourself!  The moral is:  it will totally work!"   This episode also had Starlight tell Patch that she still doesn't like soccer right at the end, just to make sure the viewer doesn't forget that what Starlight was getting out of this was A Boyfriend, not pride in her own accomplishments or any kind of personal growth.

Other shows have had some stinkers too, with GARF or the terrible MLP FIM buffalo episode, but MLP Tales had the highest percentage of terrible morals IMO, given how few episodes it actually had.

Oh I was being facetious when I said it was subtle in comparison. Sorry.  ^^;

I didn't think of those examples as morals as much as just bratty, confused kids, being bratty and confused kids. :D

Tales morals is more along the lines of environmental messages, the unfortunate student exchange episode, getting along for the sake of a friend, etc.

My point is. Hasbro doth truly sucketh at moralizing.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:41:17 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 11, 2018, 07:55:56 AM »
LOL, no problem!

They weren't explicitly stated as morals, but the message was there.   The viewer was supposed to cheer when one of the girl ponies made nice with Ace or Teddy . . . God knows why.

The student exchange episode was good, it had a good song too.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 11, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
I agree with LAW that most of the issues in Tales are bratty kids being bratty kids to each other. True, there are some outdated 90s values in there, but I liked that there was a certain fluidity about the characters being able to be themselves. I mean, BonBon wanted to be a model. She didn't stereotypically want to be a chef, even though she's always baking. She wanted to be a model. The girls let a guy join their tea club. And so on. They tackled more mundane themes like jealousy, cheating, fights between friends, gossip, insecurity.

FIM has much bigger global level issues that bother me. Destroying another culture's heritage is fine in the pursuit of imposing the "right" cultural outlook. Teaching other races and peoples the "proper" way to be friends. I prefer the storylines where a couple of the guys were idiots, but where there wasn't mass brainwashing going on.

I should also say that it bothered me a little that in the ep Starlight takes cutie marks, they all lost their skills. Kind of. It didn't really work, but it bothered me that Applejack's 'skill' was apparently...being country? What?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 11, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
I agree that the whole "ponies teach other species friendship, like Friendship Missionaries" and "ponies know best" aspects are really questionable.  Also it's really cringy how they base some species / countries off real cultures / countries.  If the buffalo are meant to be the equivalent of Native Americans (which they obviously are) then the unfortunate implication that leaves is:  none of the ponies are the equivalent of Native Americans.  So if you're an Indian kid watching the show, what you were just told is:  "Hey, those main characters?  They don't represent YOU."

(Of course the episode had way more issues that just that, but that jumped out at me.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 11, 2018, 03:07:51 PM »
l love Pepper Berry. I  don't get the whole putting pepper on a strawberry thing, its a pretty weird symbol, and I'm not crazy on that pose, but she's a pretty wild colored pony and I sure would like to have her.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1348 on: September 11, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
l love Pepper Berry. I  don't get the whole putting pepper on a strawberry thing, its a pretty weird symbol, and I'm not crazy on that pose, but she's a pretty wild colored pony and I sure would like to have her.

Pepper Berry is stunning, honestly one of my favorite G3s! Is she unpopular? I've got her MOC, but I'd love to have a loose one someday too!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 11, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

Does Pepperberry have the issues with hair rot etc that some of the other discount ponies have? She's the one which is salmony pink with really reddish hair, right, in the diva pose? I'm pretty sure she was one of those...?

I kind of like her too. Even though those colours should not work. I really hope she doesn't have those issues :( it's the most heartbreaking thing that can happen, seriously.

So maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I find the idea of hair rotting/falling out way way worse and more traumatic than the idea of plasticiser leakage or regrind, even if it discolours the pony in the process...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal