collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weird restoration methods I've overheard  (Read 2366 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Weird restoration methods I've overheard
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
Shabi, I hope you can persuade those girls to stop using that mixture.  They can die.  If you can't make them stop, I hope you know where their ponies are kept just in case :devious:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
no bleach for ponies!

PS no random cleaner mixtures either.

there's lots of safe and proven ways to clean ponies described here in this forum
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:22:50 AM by gabumon »

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
I'm sorry, but have these girls passed a grade ten science course?
Most of them barely fourteen, so... But I know about that. I've worked with chemicals before, I'll be careful.
Remember, some chemicals never stop working, and could continue to work even through paint (like on a custom).  Depending on the kind of stuff you mix, you could poison yourself, too, so be careful!  You could melt the pony, too.
That's why I never use chemicals on rare ponies. I need to make that Rarity white for a custom. And wear a gas mask probably ;)
I don't know if you have a product called "oxy clean" in Russia
We have something else but it's basically the same thing - Vanish. It didn't work at all. It just made the hair frizzy.
There is also a fine abrasive solid called Magic Eraser for ground-in dirt like on the ears, again you might not have it available there and I didn't try it personally... 
I've ordered it online. It works magic! Just not for sharpie marks... I've tried sunfading and peroxide soaks. It didn't work either. I'm sooo gonna buy an UV lamp. I don't have sun in my room at all!
Oh and I wanted to thank you for the great answer you gave to my question about the Russian translations.  I haven't remembered what thread that was to go back there and say thanks so, Thanks!
You're welcome :)
Shabi, I hope you can persuade those girls to stop using that mixture.  They can die.
I told them about that. They said "it smelled very bad but no harm was done". Sadly I don't know their parents or neither I am an authority for them.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »
I'm glad you told them it was dangerous. 

Even though none of us have authority over them I'm glad you posted this and and I'm glad the MLP community is able to get this type of information and warnings out about hazardous chemicals - at least for the sake of other new-to-restoration people.  Thanks for being open to this information.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »
Using chemicals is never worth it even on a common pony. It's not even about the long-term negative effects it could have on a pony anymore. As others have said you're risking your health and even your life depending on what kinds of concoctions you try. This whole thread has turned scary, fast. Especially in regards to those girls. They clearly had no idea what they were doing.  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

lostpony

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
:happy: how bout dynamite. Makes the most difficult pony problems go away instantly!

Sorry. Just trying to lighten it up a bit.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »
:happy: how bout dynamite. Makes the most difficult pony problems go away instantly!

Sorry. Just trying to lighten it up a bit.

Oh!idea! What if hasbro made a demolition pony with dynamite for a cutie mark?
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

lostpony

Re: Weird restoration methods I\'ve overheard
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
Could put it right next to bug-spray Apple Bloom, assuming she doesn't run away.

Post Merge: March 29, 2017, 10:47:46 PM

But more on topic, I have a couple of weird restoration methods byself:  boiling for hours and soaking in peroxide in the sun.

Boiling works great on pony cancer but, it comes back in about a year and have not checked to see if it can be boiled away again, and since boiling yellows white ponies (and ruins all sorts of colored ponies) I combine it with peroxide soaks which work great in just a few days but you have to mask the hair and symbols or they get discolored and long-terms effects of peroxide soak have yet to be determined.  Boiling for more than two hours seems to accomplish nothing but depleting the plasticizer and making the pony hard, by the way.

Poor pose can also be corrected with boiling water by dunking in boiling water briefly then filling the pony with boiling water then letting it cool with crumpled paper etc holding the pony in its pose.   Seems to work perfectly every time so far for me.

Also boiling water can be used to soften Twinkle Eye ponies enough to pull their eyes out and put better gems in, and colored zirconia and topaz and other colored gems are pretty cheap on eBay.  This is one of my favorites!

Not as cool as death by gas but still pretty weird.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:50:57 PM by lostpony »

Offline Shabi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
It got me thinking. Is there a way to restore plastic stress marks? I have no idea how to paint them. I've seen someone restore a part of pony's body and the result had absolutely the same color as the poor pony's body! How do I even out the paint? How do I pick the same color?
I've seen people restore stress marks with hair dryer/heat gun. Or by rubbing them. Does this work on ponies?

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
and theres always the good ol' MLPPreservationProject if you need help with anything else. ;)

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:45:38 PM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

lostpony

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
That's a wonderful resource provided by our very own FarDreamer and it's really really good!  There are so many other really wonderful knowledgeable members here too.

How about putting ponies in the oven?  Some people do it!  Sometimes corrects the pose, sometimes makes a pony puddle...

Then there's defrizzing the hair using heat...so many weird things we do to ponies, some work well and some are dangerous.

For example, you can dip them in honey and stake them out next to an anthill...no wait, no one does that to ponies.          (do they?)

Offline Shabi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
I know very well about TMLPPP and I'm asking because I haven't found information there. Maybe I wasn't looking good enough...

Putting ponies in the oven is a bad idea. They leak plasticizer and cooking anything in that oven will be pretty much poisonous.

Another question that came to my mind. Can we make a pony completely white? I have a bait g4 AJ and I want to make a custom, but my character is white. I don't wanna paint over her body because I want my custom to look factory made (I'm even researching UV printing for the matter) so I want to make her white. Extreme sunfading? Won't this make her pale orange? Give me ideas please! I mean I can just use a Rarity but she has different eye shape. And I won't use rare ponies for custom since I'm not crazy.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
Just wanted to add that while pure bleach is not recommended for cleaning ponies (and definitely not vinegar + bleach; yikes), a diluted bleach solution (2/3 water, 1/3 bleach, or less) should be safe for cleaning mildew and other yucky things inside ponies. I've done this for several years with no bad effects. Diluted bleach is safe and recommended for sanitizing baby toys, etc. at preschools and homes since the chlorine evaporates quickly :) (source: preschool experience and Google)

Of course, if you go that route, don't soak the pony in the bleach solution (because this has the potential to cause discoloration, even though the bleach is diluted); rather, put the bleach solution inside the pony (head and body separated) and let it rest 20 minutes or less, then scrub and thoroughly rinse out with water and clean the rest of the pony with dish soap to remove all remnants of the bleach solution. And then let the pony air dry, head separated from body, for several days.

Another question that came to my mind. Can we make a pony completely white? I have a bait g4 AJ and I want to make a custom, but my character is white. I don't wanna paint over her body because I want my custom to look factory made (I'm even researching UV printing for the matter) so I want to make her white. Extreme sunfading? Won't this make her pale orange?
Hmm, I don't know. I think that some G1 ponies of a certain color (like lavender) can fade to white over time, but as far as G4 ponies, I'm not sure. Sunfading might have an interesting effect on Applejack, but I'd imagine that like you say it would make her a different shade of orange, or possibly burn her brown. You could make a post on the customs board about your Applejack, and they might have ideas.

:rofl:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:15:32 PM by Haruna »

lostpony

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
Shabi, if there is a way to turn G4 AJ white it cant possibly be worth the price of just sacrificing a Rarity and if needed chopping off the horn.

If it's not on preservationsproject, maybe it's not a good idea, haha.

You are asking the impossible...keep doing that!  Good luck and be sure to let us know what you learn (even if we say it's unsafe...) and oh yeah please put me in your will just in case, haha.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 04:49:52 AM »
I think if I needed a white earth pony, I would sacrifice a McDonald's Dj Pon3?  The molded hair *can* be removed, if needed, and putting actual hair on McD ponies cant be harder than turning an applejack white!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:57:07 AM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal