collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do I get rid of musty mold smell?  (Read 2065 times)

AbrielleRose

• Trade Count: (0)
How do I get rid of musty mold smell?
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
I cleansed mold out of a pony using an OxiClean solution, followed up with a bleach water solution. Even though the mold is gone, she still has a musty smell. How can I get her smelling fresh again? She's a G1 TE Masquerade. Thanks.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get rid of musty mold smell?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
I'd be interested in fresh ideas for getting rid of odours, too! I have a So Soft who just makes my nose wrinkle, despite being in a bag with baking soda and about three super sickly sweet smelling shampoos!! :D

AbrielleRose

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Bump - Anyone?

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
This might work for a regular G1 pony, but I once got a plush Parasol with a strong smoke smell to it. Someone suggested putting in the freezer for a while-- and it worked quite well! I don't see how it would damage a brushable pony figure. Might be something to try?
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
There is a ton of info in this thread! I hope it helps. I have used the litter technique on musty/smoky ponies and it's really good.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,381064.0.html

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
Soak the pony in febreeze and let it air dry.  At the first Rhode Island MLP Fair I bought a G1 Cotton Candy and it smelled like cigarettes, but I didn't know it had that smell at the time, because it was in a zip up sandwich bag.  I kept spraying the pony in febreeze until it was saturated and I let it air dry and the smell was gone.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Soak the pony in febreeze and let it air dry.  At the first Rhode Island MLP Fair I bought a G1 Cotton Candy and it smelled like cigarettes, but I didn't know it had that smell at the time, because it was in a zip up sandwich bag.  I kept spraying the pony in febreeze until it was saturated and I let it air dry and the smell was gone.

Neat idea!

I have a Cherry Treats that smells a little funky. I might try that. It might help suppress the gross smell and help her original scent come out again! One can hope.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »
Isn't there some concern that chemicals like Fabreze may have unknown, potentially harmful effects on pony vinyl long term?

I like to stick my smelly ponies in a sealed plastic tub with some fresh odor obsorbing cat litter with baking soda in it. You put down a layer of litter over the bottom of the container, put an old small towel or T-shirt over that, and then put the ponies on their sides on that. Then you seal up the bucket and wait. Some baking soda litter has a bit of a soapy floral scent, but if you leave the ponies out on display it evaporates quick quickly. I think you can do the same thing with just baking soda too. The cat litter seems to work for me!

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:28 AM »
Febreeze smells really bad for me as well and I'd expect a pony to smell like mold -and- Febreeze after such a treatment. No real option to me.
For smoke scent, ozone has worked well for me but not as well for mold scent, unfortunately. For that, I'd leave the pony out in fresh air for a while. A small bit of the mold scent would probably stay...
That cat litter and soda technique has made me curious and I'll be sure to try that someday. :3

AbrielleRose

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
There is a ton of info in this thread! I hope it helps. I have used the litter technique on musty/smoky ponies and it's really good.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,381064.0.html

Thank you. I will definitely give that one a try!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »

Neat idea!

I have a Cherry Treats that smells a little funky. I might try that. It might help suppress the gross smell and help her original scent come out again! One can hope.

Good luck, I hope it works for you.  :) ;)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal