collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Save Ever After High!  (Read 2006 times)

Offline MangleCrafter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • One word: Firefly
    • View Profile
Save Ever After High!
« on: March 19, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
Eah has released new dolls for 2017 and they are worse than i thought! No articulation, giraffe necks, and it gets worse and worse. I was hoping that in 2017 they would listen to their fans and improve. Because of this sales have got down because fans have not been buying their dolls anymore including myself. That spark on the dolls that used to be there is missing! So i think that it is we do something about it:
https://www.change.org/p/mattel-save-ever-after-high-bring-back-the-old-dolls?recruiter=667732355&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Save Ever After High!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Signed. I was really disappointed with Daring Charming's release.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »
Sadly, I think the line is just over... Mattel has been shooting themselves in the foot so badly lately, destroying all of their doll lines. The company is doing pretty poorly. I really don't think the high quality EAH or MH dolls will ever be back; they've been declining for a while.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »
Sadly they don't really care what a bunch of adult collectors think. They aren't Integrity Toys who make high quality dolls geared towards collectors. Mattel is just trying to make some dolls that will make the parents want to buy them for their kids and with this shaky economy parents just aren't willing to spend too much on a doll.

Tho in a way it's almost like they did listen to the fans. The new dolls don't have molded leggings and they have plenty of accessories. And at least 3 of them still have the level of articulation we are used to.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MangleCrafter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
The worst 2017 line for me is the Thronecoming dolls. It's a shame that they named the line same to an existing line. They have the same accessories just recolored. I guess this is the reason the dolls never showed up at ComicCon. The designers think that they can get away with no articulation just because of Barbie.

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »
It makes me sad to even look at them. I was lucky enough to get all the first release EAH dolls, and with the new ones coming out, I know I'll never sell the ones I've got

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
The worst 2017 line for me is the Thronecoming dolls. It's a shame that they named the line same to an existing line. They have the same accessories just recolored. I guess this is the reason the dolls never showed up at ComicCon. The designers think that they can get away with no articulation just because of Barbie.

Its not because of Barbie. Its because they're creating budget lines aimed at younger kids.

Offline MangleCrafter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »
Yeah that too! And budget dolls, are overpopulating stores. So the chance for parents to buy a 12$ doll is higher than buying a 23$ doll.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
I've always felt these "save Ever After High" attempts are misguided. Mattel started the line in the hopes to get tweens buying a doll that was basically a more affordable version of a high end collectible. However sales were never quite what they were hoping for because tweens would rather spend their money on self expression. And the higher prices blocked out the majority of parents of younger kids since most parents would rather go with the cheaper option since after a month both will be stripped naked with ratty hair and a homemade napkin dress.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
I've always felt these "save Ever After High" attempts are misguided. Mattel started the line in the hopes to get tweens buying a doll that was basically a more affordable version of a high end collectible. However sales were never quite what they were hoping for because tweens would rather spend their money on self expression. And the higher prices blocked out the majority of parents of younger kids since most parents would rather go with the cheaper option since after a month both will be stripped naked with ratty hair and a homemade napkin dress.

SO MUCH THIS.  Mattel always does this.  Hasbro does too, just to compete with Mattel. They get people interested in the initial well-thought and designed toys, then slowly they can cut back on quality and people don't really notice that much.  There's an initial investment and they get lots of profit, but then they see if they can get the same profit or more by cheapening something.  Most people don't take note of all the small little things that build up to kill a doll toyline.  You have fun outfits but then the shoes are pop-on.  You have fun shoes but there's permanent underwear.  You have great wig quality and horrible facepaint.  You have cool clothing and then they switch to plastic snap-on outfits.  They release more body types but there's not as many points of articulation. 

There's a magical breaking point for the target market when sales slow, when the toys stop moving on the shelves, they're not "cool", they're not in the hands of children pressuring their peers, the toys fall to the bottom of the toybox and there has to be some other gimmick to draw the kids back to the toy shelves again.

I mean... how many children were unhappy with their Hatchimal?  The commercial portrayed a fun, communicative toy that was customized to your desires .  Somehow, a handful of parents and kids missed the whole marketing bit about the AI learning to communicate through quality time spent with the robot.  Like you might actually have to spend hours with it, training it like a puppy.  Not, it pops out of the box, saying, "Hi Timmy!  You should get Mom to make us pancakes!"  :( 

Parents will jump at the $12 doll over the $24 doll, but both end up on the floor with missing accessories and then there's no quality comparison.  I swear Hasbro/Mattel destroy each others' toyline profitability on purpose - makes me feel terrible for the actual toy designers. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »

SO MUCH THIS.  Mattel always does this.  Hasbro does too, just to compete with Mattel. They get people interested in the initial well-thought and designed toys, then slowly they can cut back on quality and people don't really notice that much.  There's an initial investment and they get lots of profit, but then they see if they can get the same profit or more by cheapening something.  Most people don't take note of all the small little things that build up to kill a doll toyline.  You have fun outfits but then the shoes are pop-on.  You have fun shoes but there's permanent underwear.  You have great wig quality and horrible facepaint.  You have cool clothing and then they switch to plastic snap-on outfits.  They release more body types but there's not as many points of articulation. 

There's a magical breaking point for the target market when sales slow, when the toys stop moving on the shelves, they're not "cool", they're not in the hands of children pressuring their peers, the toys fall to the bottom of the toybox and there has to be some other gimmick to draw the kids back to the toy shelves again.

I mean... how many children were unhappy with their Hatchimal?  The commercial portrayed a fun, communicative toy that was customized to your desires .  Somehow, a handful of parents and kids missed the whole marketing bit about the AI learning to communicate through quality time spent with the robot.  Like you might actually have to spend hours with it, training it like a puppy.  Not, it pops out of the box, saying, "Hi Timmy!  You should get Mom to make us pancakes!"  :( 

Parents will jump at the $12 doll over the $24 doll, but both end up on the floor with missing accessories and then there's no quality comparison.  I swear Hasbro/Mattel destroy each others' toyline profitability on purpose - makes me feel terrible for the actual toy designers. 

I don't think they lower quality just to make more money. When MH was popular they were high quality and it wasn't until sales started lagging that they started lowering quality along with the prices. It used to be the cheapest MH doll was $15 with a fully articulated body, full print fabric outfit, removable shoes, an accessory, stand and a brush. Now they have $5 dolls with no articulation, painted top, unhemmed fabric skirt and molded on shoes.

I think a lot of the reasons sales lagged in the first place is a combination of things like the economy not being as robust as it used to be, tablets, and blind bag toys being very inexpensive. Kids would rather spend their pocket money on a blind bag than save up for a doll.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
I think another thing that doomed Ever After High was releasing so many of the same characters over and over. Mattel also did this with Monster High and only including one or two new characters per line. I realize all of the doll lines are different from each other but how many parents wanted to buy 10 Apple White dolls? I finally got Meeshell the Mermaid. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Keemax

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »
I thought losing the Disney Princess license was also a pretty big factor in EAH's downhill slide?

At least, that's what I heard.

Disney gave the license to Hasbro and there was a lot of speculation over whether or not Mattel was purposely cheapening EAH in an attempt to get it back (because they had the license for years and EAH was a huge rival of the regular Disney Princess dolls). It certainly didn't help that Disney then released their own version of EAH...

But I don't know if they'd actually shoot themselves in the foot like that just to get back a license for what wasn't exactly their most popular line anyway.

Those new dolls though - I thought they were just supposed to be some budget releases to fill the selves until a reboot or comeback? There's a book scheduled to release in October of this year ('The Legend of Shadow High') which crosses over EAH and MH, and I was kind of hoping they'd release their new higher quality comeback/reboot dolls around that time.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic :pout:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »
I dont know if EAH did it but MH also went on some really bender gimmicks.  Sorry but the two headed one and the huge two headed styler were just weird, not cool and trendy.  Also I think making really large dolls was a misstep too.  The 3 foot ones and they had some ones larger than normal.  Besides the "giantess" themed ones they should just stay with the standard sizes imo. 

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
I loved Ever After High when it first started.  The signature dolls and webisodes were great and even the books helped tie into the fandom.  I think shortly before the theme of Princesses are Powerful I started to get bored with the line.  Mattel is rebooting the line just like they did with Monster High.  I think Ever After High should just go out with a bang and skip generation two.  I wish they did that with generation one Monster High as well,
 I loved the G1 line and the G2 like is OK, not great in my opinion.

Hasbro is doing the same thing with my little pony.  Why is everyone rebooting when the original lines were fine to begin with?  >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal