collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?  (Read 15420 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
At least you got a show accurate Wind Whistler.

Rather the show ended up 'toy-accurate' to the UK release.  'Show-accurate' doesn't really apply to G1 because the cartoon was derivative off the toys, not the other way around.   Which is probably a good thing given how low-budget the cartoon was to the point where ponies would sprout random extra legs or change species, colours, even voices, between shots. 

In my experience, kids will play differently depending on who they're with and who's watching.  The same child by themselves without an audience doesn't engage in the same kinds of play as with other members of their age group, with older siblings, or parents/adults.   

There's more and more things that compete for our attention every year, it's a fact.  I don't think kids lack the ability to focus, they're just better at splitting their attention between many different inputs - a valuable skill in a modern media saturated market.  Anyone who's watched a kid sit down and place blocks in Minecraft for hours at a time can't rightly justify the opinion that they can't focus.  They're just more picky about what they're willing to focus on.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
Eh... love of the show is keeping me going, but I'm not buying nearly as many toys as I used to in the start. And I'm really okay with that. I like the new 4.5 model, so we'll see where that goes.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
Hasbro was actually in a very tenuous position going into the 80's.  They had gotten their teeth kicked in through the 70's, and they were trying to rebuild.  So, it was not that easy to take risks.  However, they could not be tepid and rest on their laurels either.  And their shows attracted some big writing talent, including My Little Pony.  I'm actually surprised D.C. Fontana and JMS never wrote for the series since so many speculative fiction and fantasy greats of the time provided scripts.  Maybe if it had gone on longer and had a more generous budget.

EDIT: The show's depiction of the ponies was based on the prototypes.  Originally, the So Softs were going to have fabric symbols embedded in the flocking (check out the So Soft commercial).  However, it was apparently too expensive as they just made vivid, painted symbols that would show up under the flocking instead.  So, Wind Whistler's symbols ended up all being dark magenta instead of pink and baby blue.  Same thing happened to Buttons.  The "Movie Stars" were based on the prototypes as well and could have the symbols in the colors they were originally intended.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:52:59 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
The more they get away from ponies with brushable hair, the less interested I am. I'm not a fan of EQ girls, or the GoH sets. Blind bags never really interested me. But I still get excited for new OC G4's. I'm not sure how I feel about these new poses though. I got Cadance and Shining Armor, but I don't think I'll get any more unless they are rescued from yard sales. It's kind of a bummer.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »
Same here tbh, and it kind of ruined my enthusiasm for all things MLP up until recently. I have just started getting back into my G1s and relearning to love ponies rather than think of them as burdens. I obsessively tried to get a complete G4 collection all the way up until 2014 when the toyline really started spinning its wheels with endless repeats, no new ponies, and spotty to downright terrible international distribution, whilst the show continued going round and round in the same status quo. I became so disappointed and downhearted that I just gave up following anything MLP and turned to other entertainment outlets. Now with the benefit of time I've found that I don't really care for any of the G4s I've accumulated and it's a very difficult market to try and get rid of them, especially the less interesting mane six releases and playsets. I have 2 metres squared floor space in my spare room currently hosting a massive pile of boxes, bags and storage bins packed with complete G4 sets and other merch like Funkos and BaB plush, and it's so difficult to get any motivation to photograph and list them for sale when demand is so low (and international shipping so RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE, WTF). Looking back I attempted to start sorting it all out last July and lost enthusiam even then... contemplating putting it all into a few huge lots for an outrageously low price, or even throwing them out to an opportunity shop for some children to enjoy at this point, because I'm just so sick of looking at the clutter.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2017, 01:16:51 AM »
I guess that's what I was thinking of.  And the UK did seem have a stringent no unicorn/pegasus policy when it came to toys through Year 3.  Also, no flocking, and no expansion sets (except Twinkle Eyes).  At least you got a show accurate Wind Whistler.

I have to admit that I hate when people make such sweeping assumptions, especially when they're without foundation. Let's not forget that a unicorn - Majesty - was our most important pony character. Much more so than in the US line, where she was just another unicorn with a playset. Also, unlike the animation in the US, magic was not a skill limited to one species over here, so in a way it didn't even matter.

You're also mistaken about 'expansion sets', becuase you're trying to impose the US dating timeline on a UK release, and it doesn't work. Our line was one year delayed. In the time frame you're discussing, we had the Rainbow Ponies (three species), sea ponies (another species) and baby ponies alongside the earth ponies. Twinkle Eye Ponies didn't happen till 1986, along with Baby Sea Ponies, with additional sets in 1987. From 1986, Hasbro Uk were creating their own, unique unicorn and pegasus in Gypsy and Honeycomb. At no point is there any evidence that Hasbro had a stringent anti-species policy.

What makes more sense in context with the UK pony release story is the mindset that "this is a small market, let's be cautious" policy. Hasbro UK didn't have full control (they told me this themselves) till 1985, and all these ponies were created before then.

If you look at the UK pony release as a whole (and this also applies in parts of Europe, which are not necessarily the same as the UK) then what you see is a pattern of quantity reduction, not species elimination.

We also didn't get Wind Whistler in what you are calling "Year Three". She was released in the UK in 1987.

As for that set, I think it may be more complicated than you suggest. Not least because the cards for the UK set for the movie ponies have symbols that match the SS ponies. Also, Buttons had both versions here, but not flocked. The quantity thing comes in here, too. Hasbro chose six characters (seven, but dropped Paradise later) from a wider pool of So Softs. There's also some evidence they were considering Ribbon but ultimately picked Gusty. Most people don't even notice that, because Gusty was always in the comics here before she was actually on sale - but there is a paper trail suggesting that it might have been Ribbon, but in the end, was not. So Hasbro chose between unicorns, here. Not against them. And the two versions of Buttons essentially mean three unicorns, anyway (not to mention we're the only place, I think, that got both white star and silver star Milky Way, but that's a later story from 1988).

And yes, lostpony, I agree with your sentiment. But the ponies then did exist, just in every country BUT the UK. Other countries that had comics also had the ponies to go with those stories. It is only the UK where, although we packaged them in UK design packages, we didn't have them on sale. And as I said, I'm sure it was about risk and quantity on a largely new and unproven toy line in this country - but it was still mean to introduce us to ponies we couldn't get. And, really, when you think about it, that is exactly what Hasbro are now doing to everyone, not just the UK kids - by putting ponies out there as blind bags and in the show, but not on shelves.

I think it's a risky long term strategy, but it depends what Hasbro has in mind...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Kisscurl

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kisscurlsponies.weebly.com/index.html
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »
I didn't mind the g4 line until the reboot, I can honestly say I can't see myself buying them. I'm sorry but I think they look daft, having collected since 1996 and across all generations this new reboot was the clincher to me stopping with the g4 line. I wonder who is doing the market research at Hasbro? I'm just baffled that the new look even exists, sorry Hasbro but you have lost me :/

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2017, 06:54:31 AM »
Me.  :lookround:  I was into G4 when it first came out, favoring the first two or maybe 3 seasons, but season 3 only had a few episodes I liked.  I don't even have my G4's displayed, mostly because I don't have any room.  I have a limited amount of space to put things in my room and above all I'd rather have my G1's and G3's displayed.  It also doesn't help that we have to wait so long in between seasons or mid-seasons since most shows now do mid-seasons after 5 episodes.  I kind of began to lose interest when Twilight became a princess.  I realize all of her studying would eventually lead to something, but I don't know, does Equestria really need 4 princesses?

lostpony

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
And yes, lostpony, I agree with your sentiment. But the ponies then did exist, just in every country BUT the UK. Other countries that had comics also had the ponies to go with those stories. It is only the UK where, although we packaged them in UK design packages, we didn't have them on sale. And as I said, I'm sure it was about risk and quantity on a largely new and unproven toy line in this country - but it was still mean to introduce us to ponies we couldn't get. And, really, when you think about it, that is exactly what Hasbro are now doing to everyone, not just the UK kids - by putting ponies out there as blind bags and in the show, but not on shelves.

If you mean the sentiment that Hasbro (except for the princesses mane 6 and a very few others like occasionally shining armor, trixie, etc) either waits years or never gives us the ponies on the show, I was just talking about G4 because I have no knowledge as to the specifics of previous generations except that the ponies I get used to watching in one episode are completely replaced by new ponies the next, which is simply no way to run a show unless it's to sell new toys so my assumption was that those ponies were available to buy at those times.

Either way it's hard to say the show is a toy ad when the ponies on the show are not available as toys, isn't it?  Last I checked, advertisements are to inspire you to buy a product.  Making me want to buy a product that isn't available is a waste and yes, kinda mean.  Pout.

And regardless of what names, colors, and symbols they have the old brushables might as well be the same ponies over and over because they are exactly the same anyway so even though I might find for example a Starlight Glimmer (who seems to have become HTF) she's much better even as a McDonalds toy because McD knows that two different ponies should actually LOOK like two different ponies and Hasbro hasn't apparently figured that out...except, according to the blind bags, they HAVE figured it out so the only remaining possibilities are they don't care or they are lazy.

I love Hasbro toys.  They are ...weirdly out of step with the universe, a path they went down when they cautiously tested these new waters with My Pretty Pony which is a seriously weird thing to be sure but, soemthing about that weirdness makes them like nothing else and must have! and the rest followed.  But somehow they've lost touch with what they found with MPP and they better get it back soon or their easy gravy train is going to dry right up and we'll be left with nothing new under the sun but Disney or Barbie.  Speaking of which, those two know what kids want, and I don't hear anyone complaining that the Frozen characters aren't fresh or show accurate (or Mini Mouse or Dumbo)....they just keep taking up shelf space and going home with people.  I don't know anything about Barbie as a company either other than there are always new Barbie toys and horses and cars and whatnot to buy and I don't hear anyone complaining that she's the same old character over and over because even though it's always her (pretty much) she's always got something new about her and she always looks like Barbie.  The ponies, not so much....G4 ponies never look like ponies unless they are blind bags, Funko, or McDonalds.  Oh and the GoH come closer but why are the new brushables even less accurate than the old ones?

Back to my conclusion before:  I can find no answers but lazy, careless.  From the people who first dragged us down this path with MPP, something wonderful seems to be missing now and I want it back.  Aside from Build-a-Bears which I thoroughly love and just spend hundreds on, and the GoH figures of which there are very few, there is no G4 toy worth buying and my $$ are going to scooping up all the many, many wonderful previous gen toys and ultimately I'm going to get my hands on that elusive My Pretty Pony with its quirky eye and ear, so why would anyone keep buying more and more Mane 6 brushables and FSes except as dollar used items anyway?

Seems to me the toys are more about selling the show now.  The big money of course is from broadcast commercials and as long as there are Mane 6 toys everywhere, purchased or not, it reminds people to watch the show and the commercials you have to swallow along with it.  That's the real Hasbro product now so I think it's more accurate to say the toys are "showetic" or, "commercials-etic" than the other way around.

Ranty ranty.  Isn't there something else I'm supposed to be doing right now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:11:28 PM by lostpony »

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
Shabi, I've seen you around a little and I'm so happy we have member(s) in Moscow!  If you are interested in answering a bunch of touristy questions,
What's commercial stuff like there, are ponies in stores and are they affordable?
Do you get variety there?
Are you able to buy stuff abroad or is it expensive?
I love the way the show sounds in other languages....your English seems pretty good, is the translation good (literal) or are the characters different in Russian?
Thanks!!
I LOVE these kinds of questions! I'm so glad you asked!
Ponies are definitely in stores and we get everything except USA exclusives. But we get everything with a huge delay and Guardians of Harmony for example was just released and the "new" blindbag wave is 14 (while other countries get 19). They're hardly affordable tho... In USA 5$ is very cheap while I can eat for a whole day for 5$. All toys come with extra charge for shipping to our country. But many kids have them so no matter what the price is MLP is very popular here.
Oh, I can talk about Russian translation of the FiM show for hours. A company named Carousel translates FiM into Russian and broadcasts it. Translation of the first two seasons was more than just horrible. The voices were plain, they didn't show real emotions and character, they made ponies look like excited little girls all the time. They were so squeaky and impossible to listen and hard to understand what they say. Two names were translated - Twily's and Rainbow's. They were translated literally and while I don't find them terrible most people do. Twilight Sparkle is Sumerechnaya Iskorka in Russian and Rainbow Dash is... Raduga Dash. Yeah, they didn't bother to translate the "Dash" part so it's just a random slam of Russian and English words. I've once ordered a Happy Meal with a pony toy and on the bottom of the box all names were translated in a "cutesy" way. Pinkie Pie was turned into a Cutie, Applejack was (roughly translated because English doesn't have the suffixes we have in Russian) Applie, Rarity was Beauty and Fluttershy was Shame. What a shame!  :lol: It's like they're not ponies but an opposite of seven deadly sins. Me and my friends nearly died of laughter when we saw that. Later we found out that it was Hasbro Russia's wish to translate Twi and Dash. It was in the contract or Carousel couldn't translate and broadcast FiM. McDonald's pony names was their own idea tho. When MLP fans heard the terrible voice acting and even more terrible translation they wrote a petition to Carousel and Hasbro Russia asking if they could improve the quality of translation. They were heard and the new seasons were much better! They still managed to mistranslate some jokes and made some Twilight's lessons quite the opposite to the original. Some fun facts: Nightmare Moon was translated as Moon Pony. And the phrase "You are the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon!" probably broke translator's minds. So they just translated it as "You are Moon Pony, Moon Pony!". It became a meme in Russian MLP community. Also, we don't have a word for "rainboom". We can only say "rainbow boom". And Fluttershy yelled "Rainbow did rainbow boom!"...
You know what's much more funny? I bought two g3.5 magazines in a lot with g4 magazines. I only needed g4 ones but I didn't mind to get extras since the whole lot was just 3$. I love all generations so I kept them. I didn't have tome to read them but I just opened one and saw translated names. Better sit down while you read this as you might fall on the floor laughing like I did!
So Star Song is Star Song. Okay. Scootaloo is Butterfly. Toola-Roola is Brush. Rainbow Dash is just Rainbow. Pinkie Pie is... Bunting. Cheerilee is Cherry. Well, I could understand them naming ponies after their symbols but now it's just random. And Sweetie-Belle (yes, it has a dash for some reason) is... Swirlyhorn. SWIRLYHORN?! Seriously? Every unicorn has a swirly horn!  >_< The text says "Every pony has a beautiful name".
Our magazines are translated from Polish tho. And I have no idea if Polish magazines are translated from English and not some other language that was translated from some other language that was translated from English. So basically it's Chinese whispers.
Recently I integrated myself into Russian MLP collector community. I'm the only I know who's older than 20. I still haven't seen a single person who collect any generation that is not g4. I can't even say we have pony collectors in Russia. Bronies only care about the show and hand crafted merch, mostly plushes. The only people who collect brushables are 9-15 yo girls. And they don't just do it for the sake of it. They do it for attention. The more rare ponies you have the cooler you are. They don't know ANYTHING about restoration and sometimes ruin their ponies. Most of them have their youtube channels where they take the name of some rare pony, show it to the camera and talk about pony stuff. Same with LPS here. If you have a standing up cat you're basically a god. They call fakies 3Ds (wat). I'm mostly disgusted by Russian MLP community but also pleased there is any attention to rare ponies at all. After all, the only generations we had in Russia was late G3 and G3.5...
EDIT: Totally forgot to answer other questions, sorry. Yes, we have variety! We had all European exclusives except Star Swirl. Ukraine, on the other hand, had everything, they even have BaB plushes and some USA exclusives ;)
I don't know about other people, but I myself am able to buy anything from anywhere. I just don't have enough room for it... Of course it's much more expensive than buying in stores but I won't have to buy it abroad if it was in stores.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:21:47 PM by Shabi »

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
Spoiler
Shabi, I've seen you around a little and I'm so happy we have member(s) in Moscow!  If you are interested in answering a bunch of touristy questions,
What's commercial stuff like there, are ponies in stores and are they affordable?
Do you get variety there?
Are you able to buy stuff abroad or is it expensive?
I love the way the show sounds in other languages....your English seems pretty good, is the translation good (literal) or are the characters different in Russian?
Thanks!!
I LOVE these kinds of questions! I'm so glad you asked!
Ponies are definitely in stores and we get everything except USA exclusives. But we get everything with a huge delay and Guardians of Harmony for example was just released and the "new" blindbag wave is 14 (while other countries get 19). They're hardly affordable tho... In USA 5$ is very cheap while I can eat for a whole day for 5$. All toys come with extra charge for shipping to our country. But many kids have them so no matter what the price is MLP is very popular here.
Oh, I can talk about Russian translation of the FiM show for hours. A company named Carousel translates FiM into Russian and broadcasts it. Translation of the first two seasons was more than just horrible. The voices were plain, they didn't show real emotions and character, they made ponies look like excited little girls all the time. They were so squeaky and impossible to listen and hard to understand what they say. Two names were translated - Twily's and Rainbow's. They were translated literally and while I don't find them terrible most people do. Twilight Sparkle is Sumerechnaya Iskorka in Russian and Rainbow Dash is... Raduga Dash. Yeah, they didn't bother to translate the "Dash" part so it's just a random slam of Russian and English words. I've once ordered a Happy Meal with a pony toy and on the bottom of the box all names were translated in a "cutesy" way. Pinkie Pie was turned into a Cutie, Applejack was (roughly translated because English doesn't have the suffixes we have in Russian) Applie, Rarity was Beauty and Fluttershy was Shame. What a shame!  :lol: It's like they're not ponies but an opposite of seven deadly sins. Me and my friends nearly died of laughter when we saw that. Later we found out that it was Hasbro Russia's wish to translate Twi and Dash. It was in the contract or Carousel couldn't translate and broadcast FiM. McDonald's pony names was their own idea tho. When MLP fans heard the terrible voice acting and even more terrible translation they wrote a petition to Carousel and Hasbro Russia asking if they could improve the quality of translation. They were heard and the new seasons were much better! They still managed to mistranslate some jokes and made some Twilight's lessons quite the opposite to the original. Some fun facts: Nightmare Moon was translated as Moon Pony. And the phrase "You are the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon!" probably broke translator's minds. So they just translated it as "You are Moon Pony, Moon Pony!". It became a meme in Russian MLP community. Also, we don't have a word for "rainboom". We can only say "rainbow boom". And Fluttershy yelled "Rainbow did rainbow boom!"...
You know what's much more funny? I bought two g3.5 magazines in a lot with g4 magazines. I only needed g4 ones but I didn't mind to get extras since the whole lot was just 3$. I love all generations so I kept them. I didn't have tome to read them but I just opened one and saw translated names. Better sit down while you read this as you might fall on the floor laughing like I did!
So Star Song is Star Song. Okay. Scootaloo is Butterfly. Toola-Roola is Brush. Rainbow Dash is just Rainbow. Pinkie Pie is... Bunting. Cheerilee is Cherry. Well, I could understand them naming ponies after their symbols but now it's just random. And Sweetie-Belle (yes, it has a dash for some reason) is... Swirlyhorn. SWIRLYHORN?! Seriously? Every unicorn has a swirly horn!  >_< The text says "Every pony has a beautiful name".
Our magazines are translated from Polish tho. And I have no idea if Polish magazines are translated from English and not some other language that was translated from some other language that was translated from English. So basically it's Chinese whispers.
Recently I integrated myself into Russian MLP collector community. I'm the only I know who's older than 20. I still haven't seen a single person who collect any generation that is not g4. I can't even say we have pony collectors in Russia. Bronies only care about the show and hand crafted merch, mostly plushes. The only people who collect brushables are 9-15 yo girls. And they don't just do it for the sake of it. They do it for attention. The more rare ponies you have the cooler you are. They don't know ANYTHING about restoration and sometimes ruin their ponies. Most of them have their youtube channels where they take the name of some rare pony, show it to the camera and talk about pony stuff. Same with LPS here. If you have a standing up cat you're basically a god. They call fakies 3Ds (wat). I'm mostly disgusted by Russian MLP community but also pleased there is any attention to rare ponies at all. After all, the only generations we had in Russia was late G3 and G3.5...
EDIT: Totally forgot to answer other questions, sorry. Yes, we have variety! We had all European exclusives except Star Swirl. Ukraine, on the other hand, had everything, they even have BaB plushes and some USA exclusives ;)
I don't know about other people, but I myself am able to buy anything from anywhere. I just don't have enough room for it... Of course it's much more expensive than buying in stores but I won't have to buy it abroad if it was in stores.

That is so interesting, I love to hear what collecting is like in other countries. The translations of their names are so funny! Thanks for all the information.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
XD Poor Fluttershy
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
"Shame"...  :lol: I love it!

I've been losing interest in G4 for a while. Too many gimmicks, too many main 6 (it's the core 7 all over again..), too many molded manes.. I'm not a fan of GoH and they seem to be "taking over" the line along w/ blind bags. The reboot/G4.5 ponies and the EQG dolls being dropped really doesn't help :( I dunno, I'll keep up with G4 until it ends, but so far the only new thing I've really been interested in is some of the blind bags and maybe Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I like the blind bags okay, but as a supplement to the main line- like how Ponyvilles were to the main G3 line. If that makes sense :)

the terms brony, cutie mark, and the horrible, annoying "everypony" makes me twitch back in utter horror every time I see it.

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.  I also dislike the term "every pony".  It's so unnecessary.  It's not like replacing the word "hands" with "hooves" because ponies don't have hands.  But everyone has a "body".  And it's even more weird considering the show has established that there are multiple whole civilizations of non-pony people.  So the normal "everybody" would be more inclusive.   I'm even more confused by fans using it in normal everyday conversation.

Maybe it just comes down to that I find it too "cutsie" which is the same reason I don't especially like the term "cutie mark" either.

Ughhh YES, this drives me up the wall. It's seriously one of my least favourite things about G4. I agree, "everypony" doesn't make any sense - what's wrong with "everyone" or "everybody"? We don't say "everyhuman"! I understand ponyfying some terms and it's cute/funny if done sparingly (there's a line in one G1 ep - I think "The Revolt of Paradise Estate" - where one them says something to the tune of "this is like looking for hay in a stack of needles!" which I find adorable :B) but FiM just goes way overboard with it, imo.

(And don't even get me started on "cutie mark"... >___<)

To me, a MLP needs to have brushable hair.  It's just one of those expectations (like a Hot Wheels car needs wheels* or a Transformer needs to, you know, transform**) that comes with the toyline.  I don't have a problem with the bronies, but I do have a problem with them changing the way things are supposed to be.  That they can whine for 'molded hair' and then be catered to by Hasbro, or the show inserting memes to pander to that particular audience is what bothers me.  If you come into an existing fandom, you need to respect that franchise, not alter it to what you want.

YES, thank you. This is the best description I've ever seen of it :) Ponies just aren't ponies without proper brushable hair.

Either way it's hard to say the show is a toy ad when the ponies on the show are not available as toys, isn't it?  Last I checked, advertisements are to inspire you to buy a product.  Making me want to buy a product that isn't available is a waste and yes, kinda mean.  Pout.

Also a good point!! I really don't get Hasbro, why they haven't released all these FiM characters as brushables, or heck why they take so long to release some of them as blind bags, even. Like, I remember before I started collecting G4, the main characters didn't interest me, but I saw Lyra and some of the other backgrounders and I was like "wow, they have nice designs! Now THOSE I would get as a toy", only to find that they hadn't made them. (Of course, nowadays it's the other way round, since they keep making so many Lyras ^^;; I love her but pleeeaaase Hasbro, make some different characters..) And there are still lots that don't have any toys - Rumble, Fleur de Lis... There are so many pretty designs in the show, it's such a waste not to use them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »

But I will say that in my opinion G1's animation was pretty irrelevant to the success of My Little Pony. In short, the show has become the base point for collectors to talk about G4 now, because of how FIM and the toys are related, but this is a problem in my opinion.

As a long time pony collector like Taffeta, I can vouch for the cartoon in the 80's not being the focus of the brand.

For me the cartoon was like an accessory, you could take it or leave it. The whole premise of MLP back in the 80's was totally geared towards collecting. The commercials even tell the MLP child collector to be a MLP mommy and have all the ponies in your family.

They even at some point had a contest for who had the most MLP. They had mail order ponies you could only get if you purchased ponies and saved the points.

There was no internet back then, there was your own imagination. So by the time I saw the first original cartoon, I'd probably been into MLP for 2 years maybe 4. I already had ideas of what/who my ponies were. The cartoon was fun but it didn't affect me as far as how I felt about my collection.

I don't even remember seeing the series original airing, I think the episodes I first saw were reruns. I think I probably rented the original specials from the movie store at some point, never saw that when it originally aired on TV.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
I was trying to be funny, but clearly working 8 hours shifts for 15 days in a row is taking its toll.  I have nothing but respect of what Hasbro U.K. did (well, except for their omissions).  They had better names for ponies, and definitely beat North America in terms of lore.  I would rather have Queen Majesty than Den Mother Megan leading the ponies.  The exclusives were also great additions as both toys and to the lore.  So, yeah, joke fail.

The animation was pretty irrelevant.  It was too short and was too far behind the toys it was actually showcasing.  As I said, it was a ploy to use MLP's popularity to elevate some minor brands.

G4 was obviously taken over by its show.  The toys dominated by the plans for the show at first.  The ponies selected as main and major characters were informed by that.  However, since then, the toys have taken a backseat to the ever more erratic whims of the show.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal