collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?  (Read 15611 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
the terms brony, cutie mark, and the horrible, annoying "everypony" makes me twitch back in utter horror every time I see it.

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.  I also dislike the term "every pony".  It's so unnecessary.  It's not like replacing the word "hands" with "hooves" because ponies don't have hands.  But everyone has a "body".  And it's even more weird considering the show has established that there are multiple whole civilizations of non-pony people.  So the normal "everybody" would be more inclusive.   I'm even more confused by fans using it in normal everyday conversation.

Maybe it just comes down to that I find it too "cutsie" which is the same reason I don't especially like the term "cutie mark" either.

Gee sorry to annoy every-*stops* all the time, for me it's just a chance to kinda roleplay and have fun with it.  I don't say it out loud so I stick all y'all with it all the time in writing here.

Can't agree with you more as to the cutie mark thing, there is nothing cute about a talent brand with all its implications and such.  That's why I steal the term from G1 and regardless of gen I call it a "symbol." 

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
I wouldn't say total interest lost, but getting more selective. I'm focusing on a few key things, instead of getting everything.

I suppose this is kind if like me. At first, I kind of wanted everything. Now I am very selective. I saw a G4 magazine in Wal-Mart a few days ago and flipped through it and enjoyed the art. It was pretty, but I asked myself...."Do you really need it?"  So I put it back. Now if it was G1 I would have bought it without a second thought.

I just want new characters and themes like G1. I don't get this main six thing or Celestia and Cadence stuff. Let's get some new stuff out there! I like the new moulds. They are super cute. If they had some new characters I'd be buying away. But it's the main six, Celestia, Shining Armor, Cadence, and that green pony (I forget her name).

Really, these faces are cute. MORE CHARACTERS!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I believe the green one is Lyra.  :)

I don't know how you did it but that picture of AJ has me pretty much rethinking not getting any new ones and I have even seen them in store and not liked them. AJ looks adorable here! May need to get her, FS, and RD for my armies. Alas, I was so sure this change would save my money. However, I disliked all things G3.5, even though I had a PP I kept as she was a gift from my gramma who has always fed my pony habit, but then I fell in love with all the babies and a couple of the mom's so now all generations are represented in my collection.

I don't really mind the use of everypony and cutie mark. I find myself using them occasionally (everypony is only used here though, not in daily speech lol). I do feel odd if I call a G1 pony's symbol a cutie mark by accident though. It's almost like finger nails on a chalkboard even.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:19:34 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
I got sick of G4 years ago. The quality issues pushed me away what, a year or so after I started? Watching my ponies develop head-body mismatch and seeing issues just get worse and worse out of box... no thanks. The brony craze didn't help either; I hate that I can't say I like/collect MLP without people making all sorts of negative assumptions. I still liked blindbags a bit for a while but I've been done a long time. When I get G4s as a gift I keep them and I need a few Nurse Redhearts for my Sundance army but I don't consider myself a G4 collector.

With my other collections I kept buying playline for years but honestly, I'm done with that too. I'm sick of paying for brand new toys with horrible quality. Its really sad but there's basically nothing in toy stores for me anymore...

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »
I really want to say yes, because Starlght Gutter is a huge turnoff, and I feel like what the show as a whole has to offer doesn't excite me like it used to, but then again, I rely so mch on ponies to keep me from sinking into depression, it's just that I can't see myself breaking away from it.
 Also, I'm still holding out hope for Sunset Shimmer to be put in.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.  I also dislike the term "every pony".  It's so unnecessary.  It's not like replacing the word "hands" with "hooves" because ponies don't have hands.  But everyone has a "body".  And it's even more weird considering the show has established that there are multiple whole civilizations of non-pony people.  So the normal "everybody" would be more inclusive.
I like the term "everypony", but you have hit the nail on the head on one of the things that does annoy me about it (or rather, the way bronies treat it), albeit unintentionally.

Unlike "hooves" and "hands", I don't think "everypony" was ever meant to be a replacement, but rather an alternative.  We have two choices for this term; "everyone" and "everybody", and the ponies still use these words, but they also have a third choice - "everypony".  It annoys me when people (bronies, usually I'm afraid) act like it's a mistake when a pony says "everyone" or "someone" or whatever, because I honestly don't think it is, I actually think that "everypony" or "somepony" is just an alternative, not a replacement, and there is no reason to think otherwise, for the reason you just said.  There is nothing human about the term "everybody" like there is with the term "give me a hand" or anything.

I also find it silly how Hater-Bronies tend to jump on the older generations every time they fail to say "everypony" or the like, as though it's proof that they are badly written or something.  While it's true that terms like "everypony" weren't used back then, G4 also uses terms like "everybody" and does so intentionally, I'm sure.

Side Note: While I try to use "symbol" when talking about G1, barring some exceptions.  I have to say I'll always love the term "cutie mark", mostly because I have a nostalgic attachment to the name (but I understand that a lot of you will have nostalgia for "symbol" yourselves, so I try to be respectful).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:57:14 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline mimicsno1fan

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »
I personally have never liked the G4 ponies. I have always thought they were too small, hair seems to be very bad quality and I got so bored of seeing the mane six over and over again.

Now I will collect ANYTHING G1 related as I adore the colour scheme and the ponies them selves were fantastic quality and had such a variety.

I don't personally mind bronies or any other stereotype of collector as it doesn't affect me directly but I have to admit I do get a couple of looks when I mention I collect MLP. Mainly I get asked If Im single, as no guy or gal could possibly love someone who is infatuated with a plastic horse! ( 4 years with the same hot guy and he is just as obsessive about lego as I am about ponies haha ) But I think people associate every collector with the brony nutjobs!

Now if G1 MLP's were released in G4 style I probably would buy those. But again that's only due to the G1 attachment :)

lostpony

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »
Haha yes me too, ponies are my depression treatment too.

Regardless of how anyone feels about hoof and anypony and symbol terms i think the most obvious truth is that its a personal choice and can't be "wrong" and all that argumentative malarky is clearly, from what people in this thread are saying, negatively impacting g4's appeal also why i'm not joining the herd. I love ponies first and those bad apples love drama:  seems like a conflict of interest to try and do both.

Yeah g4s are too small except Zilla size and up. Muuuch better.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
I have only a tenuous interest in G4, and have been since about a quarter of the way through Season 4.  The toys never interested me because of the size, design, lack variety, quality problems, and how G1 seems to have been left in the dust while Transformers gets homages out the tailpipe.

The show feels like it's bought into its own hype, acts like it's some kind of godsend despite not being one.  The humor has become more forced, the characters more flanderized, the messages more clumsy, and the overall experience more tedious.  I only watch new episodes with no interest in watching any reruns.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
Well yeah-

I think interest is mostly lost. I am interested in the new GOH characters coming out- and will get the Chrysalis statute at some point when it goes on sale-  but have basically lost interest in the cartoons and all the toys.  I really need to gather everything up and sell it while there are still people who want the stuff!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
The humor has become more forced, the characters more flanderized, the messages more clumsy.
That's pretty much my main criticism with it at times.  It tries too hard to be funny (whereas in the previous season it was more natural humor, and you'd think that the writers would know not to force humor, seeing as at least some of them come from more comedic backgrounds), there is flanderization, and while the morals are still good (at least at times), the way they build up to them seems less so.  I still care about the show, but I think it could do with revisiting its roots (including season one and two).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
To be honest, I've never liked G4.
They never held my affection like G1, my curiosity like G2 or the enjoyment of G3. I see the G4 in shops and wrinkle my nose.

I think I'll happily stay within the generations I enjoy.

I just imagine you saying that in Toucan Sam's voice because of your avatar. :P
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

lostpony

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
I imagine her signature pony's nose wrinkling.  It's even cuter that way.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
(Someone delete this post please).

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
I imagine her signature pony's nose wrinkling.  It's even cuter that way.

:good:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »
G4 is done for me, the GOH line is not for me  I only got Celestia and NMM from that line,nothing else pulls me , the g4.5 is a sure pass as well as are all the GOH motion ponies .
collecting Barbie horses and cars now LOL :) and waiting on the missing G2 Mocs to come up for sale :) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal