collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?  (Read 15604 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Umm, g1 and G3 also had cookies, metallic balloons, magazines  and so much more.  I don't think those are the best indicators for what is going to last "forever". 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
Well there were the G3 Tiny Tins, so G4 isn't the only gen to have molded hair and let's face it. Blind Bags are popular and profitable in all sorts of toylines.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:01:15 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
G3 also had the Ponyville line, which were slightly higher quality, blind bag sized toys.  Moulded hair is hardly new.  Even G1 had its stint with some of the Petities.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2017, 10:33:04 PM »
OK FINE Sunset burst my G4 bubble.  You're so mean to me  *slinks away all depressed now

Just kidding. 

I didn't know about earlier cookies but there is a sudden vigor in the merchandising with all sorts of new sculpts and broader reach of products like cookies that weren't around before in this gen so much, so to me it seems Hasbro has accepted that the popularity is going to last for a while and they're capitalizing on it.  Since I've started into this a little over a year ago it seems like nothing new has been added until now, which looked kinda like Hasbro was letting it die out like earlier gens did by now, so...i guess it's more conjecture than conclusion but I still think G4's here for a little while yet.

However, even with all the new toys it seems like we might have to wait a while before more new stuff happens and it's always been a big drag in G4 that the toys are super-far behind the show, I mean, GoH has the first cool Nightmare Moon toy and in the show, she has had just one cameo in S5 finale since the initial pilot.  That kind of lag has to be a factor in people losing interest.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
Honestly I was fine with g4 I don't Google it because you find adult art. Sadly that is in any fandom.
But there's really no new chars. I was over the moon excited by the pearlys and have all but one.

Then came the reboot. Welp if this is what there doing now I'm done. I don't like them at all. I don't do blind bags or Equestria girls

I do like the goh I have spike and adore him. I will be getting either the shadow bolt or shining armour. Don't really want any of the others.

I do want the wondrbolts set. 
But I think one I get that I'm done with g4 I think.

So.. back to g1. And probably breyers
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 12:50:35 AM »
mmm Breyers yum.

I'm getting that GOH "hippogriff" character as soon as it comes out, it looks great.  Jointed wings, lots of detail and I think it does stuff too.  I think they're going to keep adding new GoH toys.

How bout Fashion Star Fillies?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:52:37 AM by lostpony »

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:51 AM »
I rapidly amassed a collection of G4s when I first started collecting--They were readily available, and a nice small size--good for stuffing as many as possible onto shelves :P

However, most of my G4s are stuffed in a bin under my bed right now. I started picking up G1s on craigslist and I just love that there are so many poses and unique characters---I only have 2 or 3 G1 duplicates, but about 12 pinkie pies, 5 twilight sparkles, 4 rainbow dashes, etc. I have thought about selling off my collection gradually--I'll keep some of my favorites, but it's just hard for G4 to hold a candle to G1's appeal. They got a bit too repetitive for a while with the mane six and the same poses over and over.

edit: also...my childhood ponies were secondhand G1s, so I have a bit of a nostalgic bias :P

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
I wouldn't say total interest lost, but getting more selective. I'm focusing on a few key things, instead of getting everything.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
I still very much love G4. Have slowed down a /lot/ on my collecting though due to needing to save money and running out of room but I still love the show and the variety of merchandise that is available even if I can't buy everything I'd like to. Last thing I bought was the GoH Nightmare Moon around Christmas.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
To be honest, I've never liked G4.
They never held my affection like G1, my curiosity like G2 or the enjoyment of G3. I see the G4 in shops and wrinkle my nose.

I think I'll happily stay within the generations I enjoy.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »
I wouldn't say total interest lost, but getting more selective. I'm focusing on a few key things, instead of getting everything.

Haha, this is what I was trying to say in my post put very much more succinctly.

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »
I still enjoy the show but do not actively collect the toys anymore. I've pretty much only collect one character and she comes out every now and then, so I still enjoy the hunt. (I think we can tell who lol)
But with sets, blind bags, and single releases I kinda stopped. Tired of seeing the main six everywhere. If there were new ponies to find I would totally go bananas.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
the terms brony, cutie mark, and the horrible, annoying "everypony" makes me twitch back in utter horror every time I see it.

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.  I also dislike the term "every pony".  It's so unnecessary.  It's not like replacing the word "hands" with "hooves" because ponies don't have hands.  But everyone has a "body".  And it's even more weird considering the show has established that there are multiple whole civilizations of non-pony people.  So the normal "everybody" would be more inclusive.   I'm even more confused by fans using it in normal everyday conversation.

Maybe it just comes down to that I find it too "cutsie" which is the same reason I don't especially like the term "cutie mark" either.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
the terms brony, cutie mark, and the horrible, annoying "everypony" makes me twitch back in utter horror every time I see it.

I meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.  I also dislike the term "every pony".  It's so unnecessary.  It's not like replacing the word "hands" with "hooves" because ponies don't have hands.  But everyone has a "body".  And it's even more weird considering the show has established that there are multiple whole civilizations of non-pony people.  So the normal "everybody" would be more inclusive.   I'm even more confused by fans using it in normal everyday conversation.

Maybe it just comes down to that I find it too "cutsie" which is the same reason I don't especially like the term "cutie mark" either.

Same here.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »

I suppose this is kind if like me. At first, I kind of wanted everything. Now I am very selective. I saw a G4 magazine in Wal-Mart a few days ago and flipped through it and enjoyed the art. It was pretty, but I asked myself...."Do you really need it?"  So I put it back. Now if it was G1 I would have bought it without a second thought.

I just want new characters and themes like G1. I don't get this main six thing or Celestia and Cadence stuff. Let's get some new stuff out there! I like the new moulds. They are super cute. If they had some new characters I'd be buying away. But it's the main six, Celestia, Shining Armor, Cadence, and that green pony (I forget her name). If there was a plethora of new characters? With those precious new faces, I'd be all over it, even though I don't have the room. I'd MAKE room. But how many Applejacks and Pinkies do I need? LOL

But this isn't meant to be offensive to G4 lovers. We all like what we like and should merge together. I may be a G1 freak but it can't mean you don't love your G4 ponies. It's what makes us all unique collectors. I actually WISH I could get more into G4, because it would make collecting cheaper and more fun. It really would. If I could walk into Wal-Mart and Target and find a bunch of new ponies and get them for $5 apiece and they were all unique and new characters, how fun would that be?

Really, these faces are cute. MORE CHARACTERS!!!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal