collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?  (Read 15620 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
I was just wondering.

I am not trying to start an argument thread. But, I feel like G4 is slowly falling away from what I loved about G1. Just my personal opinion, but I don't care for the action figures they put out. I will admit, I like the new brushables. They are simply adorable. But it's the same main six with a few others thrown in. I know some new characters are coming out, but it doesn't feel like MLP anymore.

I never dreamed it would come to this, but I am on the brink of selling my G4 collection. Everything....ponies, DVDs, Funkos, etc. I have become almost exclusive to buying G1, but keeping my G2 and G3s because i like them and they have that MLP vibe.

I know times change and this decade is not the eighties, but I just don't get the joy anymore over buying a new G4 item. It has lost its appeal.

I always worry about seller's remorse, which is keeping me from selling my G4 collection. I have had that before. But, I almost feel no sentimental connection to it. I feel I can let it go.

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else on the brink of losing total interest in G4?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
I don't think you are alone.  I have little interest in the restyled brushables myself (especially since no new characters have been released yet), and no interest at all in the action figures.  It is neat that they are poseable (spelling?), and I know that adds to the play value in some ways.  For me, MLP was always about the brushable hair, though.  I realize it's a matter of taste and this generation's kids are different than my own.  I was excited about the male ponies and sea ponies coming out this year, but I confess I still only want new characters with brushable hair!

Both toy designs and collecting go in cycles, so I say give yourself some time, sell off some if you feel like it, and keep only those toys that you really like.  I have a few G4s I have collected because I really liked their colors/symbols, and I keep them with my collection of older generations, but I only buy the occasional non-"mane 6" character.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »
Yes! I sold almost all my G4 ponies and all other G4 stuff last year.  I just lost interest and stopped caring about it. I wanted to focus on my vintage pony and toy collection and Monster High dolls. The items i kept include a few build a bears and t shirts and buttons.  My hubby also has some Muffin stuff and  other Funko figures but I dont mind him keeping them.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »
Nope! I am still feeling it personally. G1 and G3 may always have something that G4 won't because there is something special about nostalgia, but since I get a thrill from customizing and displaying G4, I am still very into them. I'm excited for more to come out and always have my out for good prices on ones I don't have.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
Not really, but I understand where you're coming from. They re-release the same characters too much, often with odd gimmicks in the hopes that will somehow make up for the fact it's still the millionth Pinkie Pie this week, and have a lot of weird-but-fun spinoff lines (buildable ponies, action figures, etc) going on at once.
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
Fell off the G4 bandwagon right about when the 'brony' thing started.
Okay, more like I leapt the heck off the bandwagon and ran screaming in the other direction...  *sad*
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
Defiantly understand. I never have been big on G4 but there is so little variety. Too many same characters etc. In fact, sometimes I think about letting the pony thing go all together as it just doesn't keep my interest any more.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
Okay, more like I leapt the heck off the bandwagon and ran screaming in the other direction...  *sad*

That's kind of me too. I have nothing against ALL bronies, but a lot of them have ruined it for me.

If it was like G1 and they kept on releasing new characters I would be interested, but this is just boring. How many Pinkie Pies do we need?
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
I am loath to use the term bronies because there are people here who self identify as bronies and who aren't raving nutcases. So I am going to specify the raving nutcase bronies as the reason I never actively connected with G4 as an overall franchise. Because of those raving nutcases, though, I despise when anyone connects a G4 term to G1. So the terms brony, cutie mark, and the horrible, annoying "everypony" makes me twitch back in utter horror every time I see it.

But I don't actually hate G4. There are some bits about it I genuinely like and like a lot.

I actually feel about the same about G4 now as I did before. That is, I like some of the brushables, I like buying them when I am away, and I find some of them really pretty or cute. I love the pearly ones, and I have been travelling around Japan with a little Fluttershy my sister gave me as a mascot, so that has kind of bonded me to it a bit more.

But I have zero interest in the FIM series; it tries too hard to be funny and cool and for me, it really doesn't get there. I tend to put the responsibility for that at the feet of the raving nutcases I mentioned earlier, though. Their obsessive fadding and meming of it put me off it in the first place.

I like MLP to be aimed at kids and entirely designed with them in mind. My generation was G1, so if other generations don't totally reach me but reach the kids, I'm fine with it. But I think there has been too much nutcase-pandering to make me really able to connect to G4 in a proper way. That and the rereleasing over and over of the same characters. I don't buy mane 6 characters in general because of this. (The above mentioned Fluttershy has a special pass to my affections because she was a present, and has been up mountains, on boats, on trains and into temples with me a fair bit over the last month and a half!)

I don't like the rebooted style of brushables so won't be buying them, most probably. But my feeling for G4 remains at the same level - I like some of them, I will buy what I like, and leave the rest for other people!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:55:10 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ledbyrd

• Extra glitter on mine please!
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Twinkle Eyed Nightlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
I still like G4 in terms of liking what I already have in my collection. I have tried to collect most of the non-main six brushable characters. I am really loving the new pearlized ponies and I adored the water cuties.

However, I am not really a fan of the redesigned brushables. I don't plan on collecting them at all. Other than the brushables, I have a small collection of blind bag ponies and some of the build a bear plushies. I honestly think my collection will stop there since I'm not really interested in any of the newer toys (GOH, posables & newly designed brushables).

So basically, I plan to keep the G4 items that I have but I doubt that I'll be adding to the collection much in the future. Unlike G1's, which I can see myself continuing to collect for the long term.

Thanks to Nence for my siggy art!
My Wishlist
Currently searching for Ice Crystal

Offline Priggipopoula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Moondancer is the best pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 12:22:26 AM »

It happens to me too! When I was 15 I loved G4 even my family used to support my colection but unfortunately the bronies ruined the fun and the magic of this generation, so I quit my collection and give them to my little niece  :lol: she really love Twilight Sparkle and her friends!

Now I so happy with the G1, no drama, no fights, and lots of colorful ponies!  :lovey: :happy:
Moondancer is a mischevous unicorn who loves to surprise ponies!

[Avatar made by my friend Abi-Sua! https://www.facebook.com/sugarshoot/?fref=ts ]

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 12:24:57 AM »
Nope. In fact, I was losing interest in G4 before the reboot. Yeah, they rerelease the main six over and over but the static poses didn't interest me in the background characters either. Hasbro will probably stick to their formula of Pinkie Pie clone army, but I'm cool with that lol.

I'm yet to add a GoH figure to my collection, but I think they're pretty cool too. The show, I can take it or leave it. I watch the episodes but if the show ended I'd be more eager to see what G5 has in store for us.

To be honest, my focus has shifted away from G1-3 because of postage costs. With G4 readily available they're much easier for me to justify buying
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 12:44:56 AM »
Odd one out here probably, but I think I'm actually just going to stick to Equestria Girls minis at this point. I really want the new reboot brushables and such...but I just can't justify buying all these characters over again to myself for some reason. And I say that as someone who has TWO other unrelated collections that are armies of one character each. :blink:

I recently put away 90% of my G4 collection, and haven't wanted to bother trying to sell since everyone else is sort of bailing out now too...figured it's not really even worth it. So they'll sit in a box in my closet until I figure out what to do with them.

I'm not interested in the previous gens in the slightest, so that means I'm sort of dropping out of pony for the most part. Got too many other hobbies in line in front of it. The reason why I'm sticking to the minis is because of the character variety and they sorta blend in with my anime figures like my nendoroids and whatnot. They just fit in better in my otherwise anime-centric collections.

So I'm in a weird spot...I AM still interested, just not in the mane 6 again for the 5 millionth time. Even if the molds and poses are different. It's just not tempting enough to be a priority to me anymore for the most part.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 12:57:27 AM »
Just to be clear the 'brony' thing (note the quotes, I really don't know how else to term it) is/was the media attention and public awareness & perception of 'adults who collect small colourful plastic horses'.  Which has never been, shall we say, the most flattering of things - usually at best people will find it oddly eclectic but harmlessly charming, be indifferent or puzzled. 

Taffeta put it well, the 'raving nutcases' unfortunately, are often what the average person thinks of when you put adult + MLP together in conversation these days, and the reactions tend to be ... not so positive.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:52 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?
Nope, I've loooooong passed that line. Years ago in fact. It was just a few weeks ago when I decided to completely nuke all of my G4 related works out of spite, fanart, stories, everything. The only thing G4-related now is my Fashion Style Twilight, who I have special connections to so I won't sell her.

I have kind of lost interesting in My Little Pony altogether, but I occasionally come back to G1 and G3 because I love them so much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal