collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Joined a HIIT shred gym today - am I mad?  (Read 604 times)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Joined a HIIT shred gym today - am I mad?
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
So, I bit the bullet!

I am eating a low GI diet, taking Metformin to treat my PCOS symptoms and now I am taking serious exercise!

What happens in a HIIT gym?

The training guys set out little areas of apparatus with simple (haha) repetitive exercises that you do for a set time (30 seconds) and then change to a new routine (4 different exercises) and then repeat for 4 or 5 cycles. After that, your little group move on to the next set of apparatus. This continues for 45 minutes alongside pumping music and count-downs from the coaches. I did new things with kit that I had never touched before! I did punching with boxing gloves, throwing these heavy, non-bouncy sand-ball things, even lifted some weights!

The first session was OUCHY and I nearly blacked-out - my fitness levels are VERY low and it was 3 hours since breakfast - I was advised to eat just before setting out. The coach sat me outside to recover, gave me a vit-C electrolite drink and I felt normal in 5 minutes. They adjusted the exercises for me to have less "jumping" as my stamina is too low for intense cardio at the moment - they were really supportive and careful to push me gently but firmly within my capabilities - lots of encouragement and praise. I was shocked that I managed to go back and finish the session!

More again tomorrow - we'll see if I'll be able to walk  :lol:

Has anyone else tried this? I would really like to hear your stories!

I am not after a "ripped" body, I just want to get stronger, healthy and lose a certain amount of weight  ;) Plus summer is coming and I want to fit in my dresses again!  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Joined a HIIT shred gym today - am I mad?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
It does sound insane! But I am proud of you. That is a big commitment to your health. I have not done HIIT at a gym but I have excellent results combining HIIT with a low carb diet when working out at home. My biggest problem is perseverance. Despite my best intentions I end up taking a day off because I am sore, or too tired, or have a cheat diet day and it throws everything off track.

I have to watch that the high-intensity intervals don't trigger my asthma. Kickboxing is a pretty manageable pace for me.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
Oh, thank you, Dragonfly! Your words are so kind and encouraging!  :heart:

I have a "check up" at my PCOS clinic in 5 weeks time and I am really hoping that my new regime will make a difference - I am so excited at this new change to my life but also slightly daunted at how difficult it is getting started and having my body/mind get used to all this crazy exercise!  :dizzy:

I have to say that my body had that fuzzy, warm feeling all evening - a sensation that I remember from when I used to do gym/swimming before my kid was born. I think my muscles are saying "hey, what's going on?!  :lol:

As I write this, it is gone 04:30 here in the UK. I have a session soon at 06:00 so will have brekkie and sneak out. Traffic permitting, I should be home in good time and take charge of the school-run!

Then maybe have a rest....  :snore: :whistle:

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
*** update ***

so I have completed my 10th session  (I go 3 times a week) and am already getting results!

Not losing much weight (yet) but my body is beginning to change shape as I tone up... a pair of trousers that I had not worn since when I started the gym now has that slightly-loose feeling across my thighs  :biggrin: and my shoulders seem leaner... but still a long way to go!

My strength is increasing - even the PT guy chatted to me today to say how much I had achieved since my first session. I have a spring in my step as I walk and I have CONQUERED burpees! When I first started, I did not know what a burpee was... except that it made me very tired and hurt  :pout:

My message would be to anyone thinking about joining a HIIT gym to give it a try - I was totally rubbish when I started, but so much better now, so if I can do it so can you! Ultimately I want to see what I can do in 6 months i.e. by mid September. 

I just wanted to share the buzz I am feeling with you all and hope that you can experience it too!  :thumb:

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Well Done!

Hubby and I go to the gym twice a week, this week I've made a real effort to watch what I eat and Im hoping to see some results soon, like you I just want to lose a bit of weight and fit into some clothes that haven't fitted me for a while!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal